DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with goggles

Ozeb

Reactions
The rules in Australia and the US (I think) forbid the flying of drones whilst wearing goggles. To me this is a bit like not allowing the flying of helicopters by an onboard pilot, only by a pilot on the ground.
Is this a rule which is invariably obeyed by everyone on this forum?
What's the point in having a Mavic that can fly up to 7km away if I can only fly it if I can see it?
In any case, I feel that my flying is a lot safer if I'm wearing goggles as I can immediately see what is around me.

The rules in Australia and the US (I think) forbid the flying of drones whilst wearing goggles. To me this is a bit like not allowing the flying of helicopters by an onboard pilot, only by a pilot on the ground.

Actually, it's more like trying to do air traffic control from the cockpit of a plane vs. from an air traffic control tower.

Is this a rule which is invariably obeyed by everyone on this forum?

Of course... ;) In fact I always leave my $500 goggles turned on and lying on the ground next to me when I fly, just in case some stranger comes along and wants to see how cool it is to be flying from the point of view of the drone. Or if any ants are wandering by and they're curious what it's like to be a bird. That's why I spent all that money. :rolleyes:

What's the point in having a Mavic that can fly up to 7km away if I can only fly it if I can see it?
In any case, I feel that my flying is a lot safer if I'm wearing goggles as I can immediately see what is around me.

Actually, it's probably not a lot safer flying with the goggles, as you have much less awareness of what's going on around you/your drone and you have less context of where/how your Mavic is flying in its surroundings. You can see what's immediately in front of you but not much else when using the goggles. Not so when flying in VLOS, where you can see under the drone, above it, behind it, etc. You can also see other things off in the distance (like aircraft, trees, etc.) that might pose a threat to you in flight. Technically, when using the goggles, you should also have a spotter. Technically, you shouldn't be flying your Mavic up to 7 km away from you, as you can't maintain a VLOS. Technically, you shouldn't exceed 400 feet in altitude. How you choose to operate is up to you though.

However, don't fool yourself into believing it's easier/safer flying while using the goggles than without them. Just understand the limitations and act accordingly.

Safe flying!

Reactions: Ro-Dee and FLYBOYJ
In the UK goggles are illegal to use.

ANO states:
(3) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual
contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons,
vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.

Note this is direct and unaided so not binoculars, a 3rd party or anything else.

The attached photo is from the official police document of how to deal with drone users and what they can/can't do,
Is the pilot wearing 'First Person View (FPV)' Goggles? If so they commit an offence. They should be able to see the aircraft with the naked eye at all times

Personally i'm not convinced googles are "safer". You have a relatively low resolution screen and generally unlike a real aircraft with watch keeping are not constantly moving your head all the way left, right, looking up and looking down as part of a continuous area scan. Googles users are generally straight line or video angles as opposed to a lookout so situational awareness is much much lower. On a real aircraft under VFR after scanning your primary instruments you're constantly looking all around for traffic and never just looking ahead or anything of the sort. This simply isn't the case on a goggles user.
Hence the line of sight laws.

Attachments

• dr.PNG
    dr.PNG
    51.8 KB · Views: 43
In Switzerland you can use the goggles only if there is someone else with you who can keep VLOS

In the US, goggles are allowed if a visual spotter (or spotters) are used to maintain visual line-of-sight with the aircraft at all times. These spotters need to be in constant communication with the pilot.

Also, at least in the US, any drone activity that takes place under an enclosed, roofed tent or pavilion or fully indoors is exempted from any FAA rules. So all indoor drone racing, even if done professionally, pilots do not need an Remote Pilot's License or spotters when using FPV goggles. You can also take interior real estate shots and conduct other commercial uses (security, delivery) -- as long as it's under a roof . :)

In the US, goggles are allowed if a visual spotter (or spotters) are used to maintain visual line-of-sight with the aircraft at all times. These spotters need to be in constant communication with the pilot.
This is true if flying commercially. When flying as a hobbyist (per Public Law 112-95, Section 336), the aircraft must be "flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft".

In the UK goggles are illegal to use.

ANO states:

Note this is direct and unaided so not binoculars, a 3rd party or anything else.

The attached photo is from the official police document of how to deal with drone users and what they can/can't do,

Personally i'm not convinced googles are "safer". You have a relatively low resolution screen and generally unlike a real aircraft with watch keeping are not constantly moving your head all the way left, right, looking up and looking down as part of a continuous area scan. Googles users are generally straight line or video angles as opposed to a lookout so situational awareness is much much lower. On a real aircraft under VFR after scanning your primary instruments you're constantly looking all around for traffic and never just looking ahead or anything of the sort. This simply isn't the case on a goggles user.
Hence the line of sight laws.
Goggles are NOT illegal in the UK you bloody fool!! They can be used with a spotter up to 500m out! Check General Exemption E4457.

Last edited:
Thats a direct repost from the official NPCC police guidance. Maybe you should take it up with them. Which makes no mention of a spotter. Its the official guidance for police officers to follow and distributed nationally.

With respect, gnirtS, I think mavicpro1000 is correct. The CAA granted general exemption E4457 on 28th April 2017. This allows for goggles to be used along with a spotter as long as the various conditions set out in the exemption are satisfied (which should be easy enough). It doesn't really matter if the police guidance hasn't caught up beyond wasting a bit of time if you get challenged although perhaps keeping a copy of the exemption on you might reduce the risk of that.

With visual line of sight, without goggles, you have very little range information. You have no idea, until it's possibly too late, whether you are about to hit something. With goggles you have a much better idea of what is in front of you and can take avoiding action.
Does anyone share this view?

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I agree that it's easier to see what's ahead of you. However, it's impossible to anywhere but straight ahead. That can be dangerous when flying around obstacles or when taking off and landing.

With visual line of sight, without goggles, you have very little range information. You have no idea, until it's possibly too late, whether you are about to hit something. With goggles you have a much better idea of what is in front of you and can take avoiding action.

Yes! Human eye is extremely poor when judging distances/depth, proximity of objects, etc. when they are far away. Consider a building at some good distance and you're flying your Mavic directly towards it. Without aids (screen or goggles), just using VLOS, after some distance it's impossible to say how close Mavic is to the building. With screen, you can approach building safely. With Goggles, you have even better feeling of presence right there and much better depth perception. You can also look around and be aware of your surroundings.

There are many situations like this when true VLOS is unsafe, you have to stare at the screen almost all the time, so flying with Goggles and lifting them up periodically is no different than that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123