DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with tablet – should I have internet available?

Elvis44

Reactions
I've been always flying my M2P with iPad, and most usually without internet available. In terms of possible crash investigation, or narrowing down the unplanned landing location, or for anything else would you recommend to share internet from my phone to the tablet, or this will not give me much? I am not (yet) doing pre-planned map flights, forgot how DJI calls that. As far as I remember, flight logs are stored on a tablet anyway.

Last edited:
You don't need the Internet or cellular connection to fly your drone. I would even suggest to switch your tablet/mobile to airplane mode before flying your drone to avoid any unwanted interruptions while flying. You can preload the map of the area you are planing to fly in DJI go4 app if you wish. You can also fly without the map, as the GPS receiver is in the drone, so in case of losing it or to record the home point for RTH emergencies the on board GPS will take care of all of that for you.

I am always flying my M2P with iPad, and most usually without internet available. In terms of possible crash investigation, or narrowing down the unplanned landing location, or for anything else would you recommend to share internet from my phone to the tablet, or this will not give me much? I am not (yet) doing pre-planned map flights, forgot how DJI calls that. As far as I remember, flight logs are stored on a tablet anyway.
Internet access won't do anything to improve your flying (unless you want to livestream or load maps).
Your flight data is recorded without any net connection and that's what you want to look at to investigate aspects of a flight or incidents.

In terms of possible crash investigation, or narrowing down the unplanned landing location, or for anything else would you recommend to share internet from my phone to the tablet, or this will not give me much?
None of the data in the flight logs requires an Internet connection to capture/record the data. The only advantage you'll gain with Internet access is you'll be able to use features in DJI GO that require an Internet connection.

You don't need the Internet or cellular connection to fly your drone. I would even suggest to switch your tablet/mobile to airplane mode before flying your drone to avoid any unwanted interruptions while flying. You can preload the map of the area you are planing to fly in DJI go4 app if you wish. You can also fly without the map, as the GPS receiver is in the drone, so in case of losing it or to record the home point for RTH emergencies the on board GPS will take care of all of that for you.

Anyone happen to know how to preload the map in Litchi?

Reactions: Filipok
I just Bluetooth connect my Ipad Mini 2 to my phone and I get a nice mini map - without the connection you need to preload the maps - just visit in the DJIGo4 app your spot while connected to wifi - zoom in all the way and move around - that should save in your cache.

I've been always flying my M2P with iPad, and most usually without internet available. In terms of possible crash investigation, or narrowing down the unplanned landing location, or for anything else would you recommend to share internet from my phone to the tablet, or this will not give me much? I am not (yet) doing pre-planned map flights, forgot how DJI calls that. As far as I remember, flight logs are stored on a tablet anyway.
I like to have it for live maps and the ability get updates, LAANC authorizations. I either tether my phone or use my iPad with cell service. Comes in handy but not a must have for most people.

I just tried to connect my Iphone X to my Ipad Pro via BT and they didn't connect. How did you do it?

Ahh...yes that works. But I've been cautioned by the Verizon store that I must remember to turn off the Hotspot after using it or it will not be good for the phone. Is that true?
I haven't been using the phone as a hotspot for that reason, because I'm afraid of forgetting to turn it off when done flying.

I can’t comment on their advice to you on that but as an IT Professional that seems unlikely.
Google it and see if that has been reported or contact Apple.
I bought a refurbished iPad from GameStop that was cell capable and then added a line for $10 a month to eliminate the tether but I had been connect via hotspot to by Samsung phone on and off for two years with no issues.

Leaving the WiFi hot-spot on won't generally cause a problem, but you can't use your Wi-Fi as a client at the same time so you'll always be getting internet to the phone from cell data.
There's a risk your hot-spot could be hacked. The longer it's on, the more time a hacker has.

But what the rep may be referencing is that your data plan likely has a data limit for hot-spot use, even with a true 4G unlimited plan. The unlimited would apply to data usage from the phone itself.
So it might hurt your plan and use of 4G to constantly use the hot-spot.

Yes limit usage to just when you need it and the range is limited so risk of hacking is low unless you have lots of people nearby which isn’t recommended for flight safety.
My experience is that using the hotspot for maps and LAANC is very minimal data usage. If you upload photos and videos that’s when you’ll eat data!

Milo and Dan, thanks to both of you for your input. I will use it now. I only fly in areas where there are no people as I don't want anyone distracting me, and that way I can't hurt anyone (except myself :-/)

Ahh...yes that works. But I've been cautioned by the Verizon store that I must remember to turn off the Hotspot after using it or it will not be good for the phone. Is that true?
I haven't been using the phone as a hotspot for that reason, because I'm afraid of forgetting to turn it off when done flying.
His comment might have been as simple as .. don't leave your hotspot enabled because it will run down your battery faster.
That's probably the biggest worry, it's not going to physically damage your phone.

Reactions: lilewis
Meta, It was a while ago so I don't remember his exact words but now I think you are correct.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird