DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying your Drone for Money

I think this will change, what would prevent anyone from going out every day and flying "recreationally" ... but then sell the imaging later.
The prolonged pattern of repeatedly going out to gather images and later selling those images would make it harder and harder to claim recreational intent. Eventually, there would come a point where a judge and/or jury of reasonable persons wouldn't believe that the pilot's intentions were strictly recreational at the time of the flight.

As soon as the recreational intent becomes reasonably ambiguous, that's when there is a danger that the pilot could end up with legal bills that would make him wish he'd gotten a part 107 license before attracting the attention of the FAA. That could be true even if he eventually prevails in court.

FWIW, I'm not a lawyer, but there are many lawyers in my family.

I just watched another one of the GREAT videos by Don's Drones On. I think all drone pilots need to watch his very informative videos.
This video titled "What you need to Drone for Money" really made me think.
If I understand the video correctly we (Canadians) can can use our Basic RPAS certificate and legally get paid for any work (if you want to call it that) that we do with our drones.
I did not understand that!! I was under the impression if a drone pilot received anything in trade for Drone work then the Drone pilot required an Advanced RPAS certificate.
Also if you fly a sub 250 gram Drone - you can fly for money without a certificate. - legally.
I do not know about pilots in the USA but for me in Canada that is good news.
So does that mean You Tubers with or without a certificate can post their videos without being concerned about someone thinking they are making money.
Please check out Don's Drone Video and let me know what your take on it is.
Can we actually get a job flying a Drone using a Basic Certificate in Canada?
What about all you Pilots in the USA can you get paid to take photos and sell them without 107 Certification.
I have my Canadian Basic Pilot's certificate (as well as my U.S. Part 107), since I'm a dual citizen.
And yes, you can fly commercially with the basic or advanced pilot certificate. Quite the bonus.
And here's another one: Night operations permitted with proper lighting (CAR 901.39)
Which means you don't have to have a special waiver, just have the lighting installed.

And here's another one: Night operations permitted with proper lighting (CAR 901.39)
Which means you don't have to have a special waiver, just have the lighting installed.
I have a pair of lume cubes and mounts for both my M2 and P4 for flying at night. Works great for seeing obstacles (when flying within reasonable distance). I believe the pair is ~3000 lumens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair