DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyinging in -15 degrees celsius.

I fly in these temps here in Minnesota all the time. Just keep the battery warm before flight and it will stay at 36-40c during the flight. The Mavic takes awesome shots in the cold
25299629_10207970456539889_7369132774654512362_o.jpg

How many have tried flying from inside your car? I want to try this with the Mavic sometime on a cold day. It retains signal better than my P3P did so I don’t think a bad signal would be an issue would it?

How many have tried flying from inside your car? I want to try this with the Mavic sometime on a cold day. It retains signal better than my P3P did so I don’t think a bad signal would be an issue would it?
All the time...

You need to ensure that you're also monitoring wind chill; wind chill and land temp do not read the same, like sea temp. If you've a high wind of 20mph in the winter your wind chill is going to be nearing -15 and the closer you get to the coast that wind chill will increase to some -30. A lot of amateur drone operators and hobbyists make this mistake. Furthermore they don't take into consideration the effects of harsh cold onto the cellular device neither. Crystal screens, screen fading in and out, slow response. freezing up, even turning off. If you're going to fly using a cell device you really need a quad core rather than a dual core, and that cell device needs to be kept warm too. The cold wind chill can drain your battery very fast. I have managed to find a hand warmer that I'm going to modify and wrap around the battery somehow when the battery is attached to the drone. Lipo's have a bad reputation for draining very fast or without warning. Better to be safe rather than sorry. This week alone I've read of at least 12 drone crashes caused by phones failing, lipo draining too fast, all of which is operator error. :)

I've read quite a few saying they fly from inside their vehicles. I've tried once and had pretty good enterferance. I have a jeep, maybe because of it being mostly steel and not aluminum like alot of vehicles now days. Are do you guys just overlook the warnings?

Hi All.

Took her out this morning in negative tempertures. Battery lasted 20 mins. No problems what so ever. The mavic performed well. My hands not so much.

Maybe for me, I'll go out when it's around 0 degress Celcius, 32 F for safe it to fly safe, to avoid crashing it in mid air..There will be not much different in the view anyway,

DJI_0074.JPG Flew this morning at -24C. The Mavic seemed a bit erratic and drifted a bit so I brought it down to calibrate the IMU and compass but the GO4 app would not let me do so. Cold fingers or cold phone? I had to take it inside to warm it up and after calibration it seemed quite steady.

The lake has 4 inches of fresh ice so I cleared a skating rink. The lines in the ice are cracks that allowed water to seep through and melt the snow.

View attachment 26898 Flew this morning at -24C. The Mavic seemed a bit erratic and drifted a bit so I brought it down to calibrate the IMU and compass but the GO4 app would not let me do so. Cold fingers or cold phone? I had to take it inside to warm it up and after calibration it seemed quite steady.

The lake has 4 inches of fresh ice so I cleared a skating rink. The lines in the ice are cracks that allowed water to seep through and melt the snow.

Maybe for me, I'll go out when it's around 0 degress Celcius, 32 F for safe it to fly safe, to avoid crashing it in mid air..There will be not much different in the view anyway,[emoji56][emoji106]

Hmmmm... though, according to battery manual it should only be used in temperatures between -10 C and 40C. Using it below -10C would lead to permanent damage.

Reactions: ASM_DJI001
I've read quite a few saying they fly from inside their vehicles. I've tried once and had pretty good enterferance. I have a jeep, maybe because of it being mostly steel and not aluminum like alot of vehicles now days. Are do you guys just overlook the warnings?
I don't see any warnings, (Isuzu Pickup) start the mavic well away from the metal though?
The car won't affect the controller.
There aren't many vehicles not made of steel.

Battery stays nice and warm, even at -3F. Mobile device battery drain is the biggest issue in these temps.
Get a 300,000 mA power bank and charge your RC . The remote " feels" the phone loosing power and will proceed to charge it . Bit if you got a "power plant " .....[emoji6]

You can wrap the battery with hand warmers which last a few hours. It won't drain the juice as fast. That's what I did when I went to Iceland while on tours.
Buy a big capacity power bank ( I got a 300k ) to stick it in my RC when it start charging the phone.....

Or just use your spent flight batteries with DJI's battery bank adapter. There's always (if you fly responsibly) a good 20% left - perfect to keep your RC & phone charged.

Flying in the cold would certainly extend my flying season, but I’d hate for DJI to kick back my warranty repair once they realized that the MP had been out in temps below 0C.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_