DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flysafe Still Not Safe

ianwood

Reactions
Site
sillygoo.se
I have been flying DJI drones since before Flysafe, GEO, NFZ, etc. existed. Phantom 2-4, Inspire 1-2, A2, A3, M600, M300, and Mavic 2-3. Unfortunately, even after so much progress, the current FlySafe system still has serious issues that DJI needs to fix. The issues include:

1. Waiting until you are in the air before requiring you put in your phone number, a code, and then three check boxes before you can continue.
2. Halting the drone from moving in certain directions (even the ones that get you back to your home point) before the above verification is complete. Even in authorization zones.
3. Timing out and leaving an error in a modal dialog with no means of closing it.
4. Lacking consistency with national airspace regulations and guidelines.
5. Not making it abundantly clear why a drone will refuse to fly in a certain direction. Ideally BEFORE flight.
6. Requiring a phone verification code every time the app is updated.

I write this because again today Flysafe caught me out with the Mavic 3 Cine. Despite being 4 miles from the nearest airport, I took off knowing I was on the edge of an authorization zone and expected that maybe I might have to check a box after I took off. Unbeknownst to me, the app had updated and thus it required a full phone verification.

At this point, I tried to bring the drone back the 20 or so feet I had flown it to be safely away from people which happened to be over an incline. The drone didn't want to come back despite the authorization zone being to the right. As result, the choice now was to get the authorization while in the air or land the drone half way down a steep hill.

Having connected to the internet and put my phone number in the app for the hundredth time, the verification dialog then timed out leaving nothing but a white box with an error message and no way to close it. At this point, the app was essentially frozen and the drone refused to come back towards me.

Thankfully Mavic 3 batteries last as long as they do! I forced the app closed, restarted it, only to have it not bring up the verification dialog. Drone still wouldn't fly back. I had to restart the app 2 more times before it prompted me to verify myself again. Fortunately, it finally worked and I was able to regain control of the drone.

This whole fiasco took almost five minutes. Five minutes with a drone in the air that I could not fully control. To be clear, I don't care if the verification process takes 20 minutes if the drone is still on the ground. But because it waits until after you are in the air, it creates a dangerous situation that could easily be avoided. DJI, fix this!

End of rant.

Well said. The curiosity is, will they(DJI)understand.
Would be interesting to see someone from DJI in that exact scenario and see how quickly they run back to the office with a to do list slapped on the appropriate keyboard.

We can always dream……………………..

Ian you did rant on the DJI forum with that cause you know that
fell-on deaf ears here. Unless they Do read here which not sure
they do the 2 members we had that worked for DJI have been long gone. 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. Posted it on the DJI forum.

Feel free to voice your opinion there so DJI can hear it.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well after just reading in your thread I see that was a waste of time.
Nothing you didn’t already know. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ianwood

Wasn't expecting anything more. My strategy with DJI has always been to be raise awareness in hopes that other people join in and maybe there's enough noise to motivate them even if they never say anything publicly.

Mostly wishful thinking. 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
Thank you for the write up. Those are all very genuine concerns. I've been lucky with where I typically fly and also the areas of my commercial work... that being said I went to go fly recreationally recently and although I had LAANC authorization I was unable to unlock DJI's geofence in that area (did not even match FAA map)... even though I was almost 5 miles from the airport. I keep looking at Autel for this very reason.

Maybe he already knew, but I actually found that the information he provided was invaluable to me... and possibly others that do not have to contend with geofencing often and he certainly has some very valid points, especially for a newbie that might not fully understand what all was the issue and how to (calmly) go through a process of how to regain control of an otherwise wayward drone.

Maybe he already knew, but I actually found that the information he provided was invaluable to me... and possibly others that do not have to contend with geofencing often and he certainly has some very valid points, especially for a newbie that might not fully understand what all was the issue and how to (calmly) go through a process of how to regain control of an otherwise wayward drone.
Well glad he helped ya out Jack 👍

Idiotic situations that frequently come up with electronic mayhem we use nowadays. Not sure we can trust the people in tech to know what they should be doing to make it work correctly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost