DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FocusTrack Disabled

zAvi

Reactions
Iam was using a Freewell VND & entered FocusTrack & received a Error that FocusTrack was disabled because a ND filter was attached.....So after fumbling through the manual 1.4v I found on Pg 25

FocusTrack is Disabled in the following:

Explore mode
ND filter & Wide-angle lens
Recording @ 60fps and above.
C4K. / 5.1K / Apple ProRes 422 HQ.

I don't understand why DJI have imposed so many limitations on when FocusTrack works. Have not seen this on any other Drone.

There must be some way the M3 knows when it has a non standard lens attached & blocks.

Any help on how this might be bypassed.

cheers

The limitations are so FocusTrack will function properly. As tracking gets more advanced it has more requirements. A dark lens takes away light and makes it harder for the M3 to follow a subject and discern obstacles. Wide angle distorts the M3's environment. The highest quality video recordings are processor intensive and take away the M3's ability to think / track.

Explore / Telephoto could be used for tracking but it would require software designed specifically for its use, as it would be a completely new system that would be challenging to integrate.

DJI either hasn't had time to create the software to make it work or doesn't want to. In addition to the time investment needed to create this mode, Explore mode combined with tracking is an additional threat to privacy because of its ability to work from a distance. This is a feature that DJI may be holding back to sell to law enforcement or just to avoid criticism.

Reactions: Point Zero
The limitations are so FocusTrack will function properly. As tracking gets more advanced it has more requirements. A dark lens takes away light and makes it harder for the M3 to follow a subject and discern obstacles. Wide angle distorts the M3's environment. The highest quality video recordings are processor intensive and take away the M3's ability to think / track.

Explore / Telephoto could be used for tracking but it would require software designed specifically for its use, as it would be a completely new system that would be challenging to integrate.

DJI either hasn't had time to create the software to make it work or doesn't want to. In addition to the time investment needed to create this mode, Explore mode combined with tracking is an additional threat to privacy because of its ability to work from a distance. This is a feature that DJI may be holding back to sell to law enforcement or just to avoid criticism.
Thx for reply I understand low light conditions affects FocusTrack but I dont understand why a ND4 fitted and adjusted is beyond the M3 or DJI....seem strange.

Also FocusTrack does not work at the moment with Explore [Its not ot big deal for me]
But why the other modes limited
EG 60fps and above.
If I'd brought a Cine M3 I might be pissed

Was hoping there was some way around these limitations @ Fix

If not just have to wait and hope DJI releases new FW for the M3

It Must be about time for another :)

Thx for reply I understand low light conditions affects FocusTrack but I dont understand why a ND4 fitted and adjusted is beyond the M3 or DJI....seem strange.

Also FocusTrack does not work at the moment with Explore [Its not ot big deal for me]
But why the other modes limited
EG 60fps and above.
If I'd brought a Cine M3 I might be pissed

Was hoping there was some way around these limitations @ Fix

If not just have to wait and hope DJI releases new FW for the M3

It Must be about time for another :)
Thanks for this post, most enlightening! I had been trying to figure out why active track was not supporting my video. I guess we will all have to wait for a new firmware release :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman