DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Fog at the Golden Gate Bridge

Wherever you launched from, you lessened the chance of being mugged/robbed.
Nice capture!

Wherever you launched from, you lessened the chance of being mugged/robbed.
Nice capture!

Thank you. Yes, I do a lot of shooting in the Bay Area, you can see more on my IG if interested. Finding times and locations from areas that you're least likely to get robbed is key for me, at least with the drone I can quickly hop into my car and bail if I see anything questionable, I love the freedom it gives you that way along with the ability to get angles and compositions you could never get otherwise.

Thank you. Yes, I do a lot of shooting in the Bay Area, you can see more on my IG if interested. Finding times and locations from areas that you're least likely to get robbed is key for me, at least with the drone I can quickly hop into my car and bail if I see anything questionable, I love the freedom it gives you that way along with the ability to get angles and compositions you could never get otherwise.
Great picture, is it a common thing to get robbed as a photographer in SF ? I did some photography in the area some 8-9 years ago or so, no issues back then.

Great picture, is it a common thing to get robbed as a photographer in SF ? I did some photography in the area some 8-9 years ago or so, no issues back then.
Well, not uncommon that's for sure. Robbers tend to hit popular tourist areas on the busiest days the most, so anyone with their gear out in the open (especially with long lenses or easily recognized cameras) is at some risk. There's not much of a police presence so you really have to watch out for yourself, they'll often do it in the middle of crowds at gunpoint, they're that brazen.

However, if one is careful and watches their surroundings along with going during non-peak times it's typically pretty safe. I often hold workshops and it feels always safer in groups, so there's that too.

Reactions: Bohemian
No kidding, at gunpoint ? Sounds like a pinhole film camera should be a safe bet :).

• Haha
Reactions: TheGroove
Great shot and something to be proud of. I lived in the Bay Area from 2009 to 2015 and each week I tried to go to someplace new and get some of the great vistas that can be had in so many places. I have been hearing of the robberies happening in the touristy spots the past couple of years and it breaks my heart to hear about it and now when I travel to SF I must admit that I avoid them and carry minimal equipment. I've only flown my drone a couple of times there and want to do it some more.

Great shot and thank you for posting...also the input of safety in the area !

Great shot and something to be proud of. I lived in the Bay Area from 2009 to 2015 and each week I tried to go to someplace new and get some of the great vistas that can be had in so many places. I have been hearing of the robberies happening in the touristy spots the past couple of years and it breaks my heart to hear about it and now when I travel to SF I must admit that I avoid them and carry minimal equipment. I've only flown my drone a couple of times there and want to do it some more.
Thank you. I hate to discourage anyone from shooting the city, so many great subjects and one of the most photographic places in the world IMO. You just need to plan properly is all, I've found mornings are really the safest and if you can bring someone with you it helps to keep an eye out, especially since we're typically concentrating on gear, settings, composition, etc.

As for drones, that's really easy because you can always bounce around if needed or jump in your car so you're not out in the open.

Great photo. Thanks for sharing. It is good to know about the safety concerns. Too bad. I really like SF, but haven’t been there for years.

Thank you. I hate to discourage anyone from shooting the city, so many great subjects and one of the most photographic places in the world IMO. You just need to plan properly is all, I've found mornings are really the safest and if you can bring someone with you it helps to keep an eye out, especially since we're typically concentrating on gear, settings, composition, etc.

As for drones, that's really easy because you can always bounce around if needed or jump in your car so you're not out in the open.
True, for 10 years I had close relationship with a high crime area of a city. Drive a junk car. Wear denim work clothes and a bandana. Evil doesn't like to be seen. An hour after daybreak things get pretty safe. They all go inside to get some sleep.

Amazing pic!! I remember being out there and walking the Golden Gate Bridge. I am sure that you've had some winds to deal with.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne