DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow me on a motorbike?

RSV_Ecosse

Reactions
Whats the best intelligent flight mode to use for a short flight following a motorcycle riding along a road? Not at high speed, just to get some short aerial footage.

Cheers.

I tried this on a remote mountain road once with a kite camera and the safest way to do it was to have someone help with remote controling the camera on it. I’d do the same with the drone.

If only slow for a short ride, I would use active track, but follow me would / should be equally as good.

The problem is if something goes wrong, you have to safely stop riding and get back in control of your drone fast, not always possible.

I wouldn’t do this around any trees or other obstacles, most tracking mishaps occur where turns are happening and the drone does what it should and turns right into trees or whatever.

I would do this on foot or and a bike etc first and fine tune your skills in setting it up and taking control again, if you haven’t used tracking much.

Reactions: AMann
what I'd like to do is have the AC track me on my 4-wheeler as I slowly drive through a piece of property - BUT - make a video pointing away from the ATV - I don't want to be in the frame - I just want to capture a close in "video tour" of the property. How can an M2Z be configured to do this? Is it possible?

what I'd like to do is have the AC track me on my 4-wheeler as I slowly drive through a piece of property - BUT - make a video pointing away from the ATV - I don't want to be in the frame - I just want to capture a close in "video tour" of the property. How can an M2Z be configured to do this? Is it possible?

As far as I’m aware (MP1 owner) you cant do this.
You could do a waypoint mission or use a mapping software flight to do this.
Far safer than tracking follow me, no issues with hitting trees when taking bends ect.
Maybe fly it first and get flight right with any altitude points, then you can repeat flight in different seasons etc, a very cool way to use a waypoint mission with changes of the seasons.

Reactions: JakeRobinson
As far as I’m aware (MP1 owner) you cant do this.
You could do a waypoint mission or use a mapping software flight to do this.
Far safer than tracking follow me, no issues with hitting trees when taking bends ect.
Maybe fly it first and get flight right with any altitude points, then you can repeat flight in different seasons etc, a very cool way to use a waypoint mission with changes of the seasons.

thanks for the tip! I'll check it out... Can you record waypoints from follow me/active track? feed them into waypoint mode and repeat the session... or can you get it from flight data?

thanks for the tip! I'll check it out... Can you record waypoints from follow me/active track? feed them into waypoint mode and repeat the session... or can you get it from flight data?

I’m not sure Jake.
I’ve only dabbled with a bit of active track, and haven’t taken the plunge yet on Litchi or other mapping software.
You should be able to set up a waypoint mission fairly easily after reading up here or searching around YouTube a bit, I’m sure there will be lots of videos tutorials on YT.
Let us know what you find and how your first (large open area) simple mission goes.

Reactions: JakeRobinson
I’m not sure Jake.
I’ve only dabbled with a bit of active track, and haven’t taken the plunge yet on Litchi or other mapping software.
You should be able to set up a waypoint mission fairly easily after reading up here or searching around YouTube a bit, I’m sure there will be lots of videos tutorials on YT.
Let us know what you find and how your first (large open area) simple mission goes.

Will do - thanks for your input. cheers

Follow Me mode is terrible. It relies on the GPS signal from the device that the remote is connected to. The problem is, it transmits this info to the drone just every so often. So it does a terrible job of following, when it works at all.

Just fly and record your proposed 4-wheeler route - why complicate it?

A great way to crash your bike and your drone...

It's something I've thought about, but then, telephone wires....

A great way to crash your bike and your drone...

It's something I've thought about, but then, telephone wires....

Not sure how this would cause me to crash a 4 wheeler... driving at a very slow pace... but as far a the AC crashing, this is why I am asking if it's possible... it either is or not... looking for experienced pilot that may know how to make it work.

I think what was trying to be said was that you shouldnt complicate the mission by trying to follow the bike while keeping it out of shot. Just find somewhere nice and fly the mission. If the tour is bigger than your range, do it in a couple of takes and put them together in post.

Whats the best intelligent flight mode to use for a short flight following a motorcycle riding along a road? Not at high speed, just to get some short aerial footage.

Cheers.
I just wasted hours testing active track on a motorbike. Doesn't work. Had it in Active Track, slow mode with obstacle avoidance activated. Couldn't follow the bike / me after a few seconds, and ended up nearly careering into a cliff. Utter crap. The first Mavic I had crashed into a rock and died- the a*sholes at DJI refused to compensate, and it was well within its first year of warranty. This is the second Mavic drone I've bought and it'll be the last - Chinese made crap- I'm shopping for another drone now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard