DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Food for thought...?

Jose O. Arce

Reactions
love my Mavic Pro And have my part 107 and flying since 2016. I support all FAA safety and laws. With all this madness with DJI and registrations and all the user information going to DJI. My question ? Dose anyone know if DJI is working with the Chinese government...? Could it intentionally be Disrupting our sky’s ? They are definitely laughing all the way to the bank ...? Why don’t we have an American DJI...???

-snip-
Why don’t we have an American DJI...???

We could, but the drones would cost at least 3 or 4 times as much. The problem is multi-faceted, (without getting all political), much of our manufacturing has been driven offshore and to neighboring countries due to Labor Union demands, EPA regulations, employee healthcare, business taxes and a plethora of related costs. I own a small corporation, a service business (so there's no moving it overseas to escape the costs), but I'm very familiar with government's propensity to use business as a cash cow.

Business is responsible too, they don't seem to feel much guilt in taking the jobs overseas, but then bringing the product back here to sell to the people they won't provide jobs for.

And lastly, it is the consumer's fault too, though it's hard to blame people for choosing to pay a lower price for stuff.

We could, but the drones would cost at least 3 or 4 times as much. The problem is multi-faceted, (without getting all political), much of our manufacturing has been driven offshore and to neighboring countries due to Labor Union demands, EPA regulations, employee healthcare, business taxes and a plethora of related costs. I own a small corporation, a service business (so there's no moving it overseas to escape the costs), but I'm very familiar with government's propensity to use business as a cash cow.

Business is responsible too, they don't seem to feel much guilt in taking the jobs overseas, but then bringing the product back here to sell to the people they won't provide jobs for.

And lastly, it is the consumer's fault too, though it's hard to blame people for choosing to pay a lower price for stuff.
Thank you for the reply, great answer to the last question. How about the first two ? Would love your input , Thanks

Thank you for the reply, great answer to the last question. How about the first two ? Would love your input , Thanks

I skipped the first two, as I have no direct knowledge. I have an opinion of course, and that is that information which could be available via drones, no doubt pales when compared to satellite imagery they already have. I am sure DJI would be sharing whatever information of value they get - but then there's many other Chinese products that can harvest information, surveillance cameras, smart TV's, and pretty much anything electronic that connects via WiFi. This avenue of tech info transfer maybe background noise compared to their well organized industrial espionage programs to buy and steal US companies tech info.

Reactions: Bobvt
I skipped the first two, as I have no direct knowledge. I have an opinion of course, and that is that information which could be available via drones, no doubt pales when compared to satellite imagery they already have. I am sure DJI would be sharing whatever information of value they get - but then there's many other Chinese products that can harvest information, surveillance cameras, smart TV's, and pretty much anything electronic that connects via WiFi. This avenue of tech info transfer maybe background noise compared to their well organized industrial espionage programs to buy and steal US companies tech info.
Ones again you are so right, didn’t think of all that other stuff. I thank God for those two great Ocean’s between us (US Continent). Happy flying my friend and Happy New Year to all.?

Reactions: Bobvt
With all this madness with DJI and registrations and all the user information going to DJI.
What madness with DJI and registrations?
What user information do you think is going to DJI, and how?

What madness with DJI and registrations?
What user information do you think is going to DJI, and how?
Didn’t mean to upset anyone, just thought for a moment that in the history of aviation, UAV’s and the new technology’s would become an issue in the sky’s. The Army article back in
8-7-2017 in wired and others. I just hope we could just enjoy the hobby and the good work
UAV’s bring to the table.

Didn’t mean to upset anyone, just thought for a moment that in the history of aviation, UAV’s and the new technology’s would become an issue in the sky’s. The Army article back in
8-7-2017 in wired and others. I just hope we could just enjoy the hobby and the good work
UAV’s bring to the table.
Your reply doesn't make it clear what you meant about madness with DJI and registrations.
I can't imagine what you mean since I haven't noticed anything that could be described as madness to do with DJI or registration.
And I'm puzzled as to what user information you imagine that DJI is getting.

It might be possible to address your concerns if you provide a little explanation as to what you meant.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Your reply doesn't make it clear what you meant about madness with DJI and registrations.
I can't imagine what you mean since I haven't noticed anything that could be described as madness to do with DJI or registration.
And I'm puzzled as to what user information you imagine that DJI is getting.

It might be possible to address your concerns if you provide a little explanation as to what you meant.
Thanks for the reply...the madness part was expressing how In what seems short period The DJI market has grown. The information part. Is how DJI keeps collection of consumer information. Including mine. I hope a good fun thing doesn’t turn sour.

The information part. Is how DJI keeps collection of consumer information. Including mine.
It's still not clear what user information you think DJI is collecting from you.
It's probably much less than you imagine.
They don't get to see your photos or videos.
They don't know where and when you fly unless you choose to upload your flight data to their servers.
Even if you did synch your flight data, there's nothing in it that would be of any value or interest to them or anyone else.

love my Mavic Pro And have my part 107 and flying since 2016. I support all FAA safety and laws. With all this madness with DJI and registrations and all the user information going to DJI. My question ? Dose anyone know if DJI is working with the Chinese government...? Could it intentionally be Disrupting our sky’s ? They are definitely laughing all the way to the bank ...? Why don’t we have an American DJI...???

So big picture...

We clearly see the FAA/US gov is siding with big business (The Amazon, UPS, Walmart) at the expense of the hobby drone consumer industry. They will give all the drone skies to the big business industry and tell the hobby flyer to go pound sand. Effectively killing the consumer drone industry in the US

With that in mind and with that in play, it opens the door for them to do an all out ban of Chinese (country of origin) drone products like DJI, Autel etc... All they have to do is add DJI to the entity list like they did with Huawei and ZTE and like they are planning on doing with TikTok etc...

Chinese drone companies getting banned will mean consumer drones will get a lot more expensive, at the same time the new FAA rules means hobby drone flights will get much more limited in range and scope.

These two thigns togtether mean effectively the death of the consumer drone industry in the USA. Unlike 2A rights, there is nothing in the constitution protecting the right to fly drones

It's still not clear what user information you think DJI is collecting from you.
It's probably much less than you imagine.
They don't get to see your photos or videos.
They don't know where and when you fly unless you choose to upload your flight data to their servers.
Even if you did synch your flight data, there's nothing in it that would be of any value or interest to them or anyone else.

The security rhetoric is really mostly about industry protection. There is a trade war but a larger war of hegemony between West and East, and also a war of ideologically mindshare. Why is TikTok a dancing social media app being banned? Where is the threat to national security on that? It has much less to do with security and a lot more to do with the Trump "America First" protectionists push

Although why is DJI encrypting the .DAT? That seems an anti consumer move.

Reactions: KB9Radio
We clearly see the FAA/US gov is siding with big business (The Amazon, UPS, Walmart) at the expense of the hobby drone consumer industry.
They will give all the drone skies to the big business industry and tell the hobby flyer to go pound sand. Effectively killing the consumer drone industry in the US
You clearly see that is happening?
What has the government done to side with big business at the expense of hobby fliers?
I haven't seen any evidence of that at all.
The rest of your post is built on similarly unrealistic imaginings.

The security rhetoric is really mostly about industry protection. There is a trade war but a larger war of hegemony between West and East, and also a war of ideologically mindshare. Why is TikTok a dancing social media app being banned? Where is the threat to national security on that? It has much less to do with security and a lot more to do with the Trump "America First" protectionists push

Although why is DJI encrypting the .DAT? That seems an anti consumer move.
Still no idea what user data you believe DJI is collecting.
The .dat file is just another thing that DJI doesn't get to see so I can't see any relevance.
You can see the full flight data in the .txt file so how is the encryption of the .dat file relevant anyway?

What has the government done to side with big business at the expense of hobby fliers?

unnamed-4.jpg

None of that shows the government side with big business at the expense of hobby fliers.
But there's been plenty of misinformed conjecture based on the articles you quoted.
I just don't see the supposed problems you are convinced are happening.

None of that shows the government side with big business at the expense of hobby fliers.
But there's been plenty of misinformed conjecture based on the articles you quoted.
I just don't see the supposed problems you are convinced are happening.

If you read the fine print, if the proposal goes through, you won't be able to fly a drone without an active internet connection. So anywhere without cell service you won't be able to fly at all.
The Hikvision talked about in the NYTimes article is ALREADY on the US blacklist, its high possibility DJI will be next in line.

Does this sounds like mere conjecture to you ?

I called my thread food for thought. I thank you guys for your thoughts. I mention at the beginning of the thread I love flying my DJI Mavic Pro . Happy 2020 and have fun flying.

Reactions: Gindra
If you read the fine print, if the proposal goes through, you won't be able to fly a drone without an active internet connection. So anywhere without cell service you won't be able to fly at all.
I've seen plenty of imaginative conjecture from excitable forum members about those articles but that doesn't mean I accept their ideas.
My thoughts are that you are jumping to conclusions that are not supported by facts and actively imagining the worst based on that.
Given the gap between our opinions on the topic, I suspect we haven't much to discuss.

I've seen plenty of imaginative conjecture from excitable forum members about those articles but that doesn't mean I accept their ideas.
My thoughts are that you are jumping to conclusions that are not supported by facts and actively imagining the worst based on that.
Given the gap between our opinions on the topic, I suspect we haven't much to discuss.

"If you read the fine print, if the proposal goes through, you won't be able to fly a drone without an active internet connection. So anywhere without cell service you won't be able to fly at all. "

No part was conjecture. The proposed rule, as is, states that internet connection is required to fly. That is fact. And I stated: "if the proposal goes through, you wont be able to fly a drone without an active internet connection".
That is also a fact. Since the Times article was first published, Hikvision did later get on the ban list, that is also a fact. The DHS and US gov is still thinking about banning DJI and have already banned DJI via the Army and Dept of Interior. This is also a fact. There is no room for opinions, I stated all facts.

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre