DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Footage appears grainy only when editing. Please help ?

Djhayzey

Reactions
Apologies if this has been discussed before. I recently purchased the DJI Mavic Mini. Took it out for a test run and was very happy. However the footage I watch back through the app looks good quality, but as soon as I import it into Da Vinci Resolve or Filmora, it looks instantly turns so grainy. Almost like someone has pushed the sharpness up to a 100. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? So excited to have the wonderful equipment, but so frustrated I can't seem to edit or import (nevermind export) at high quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I recently purchased the DJI Mavic Mini. Took it out for a test run and was very happy. However the footage I watch back through the app looks good quality, but as soon as I import it into Da Vinci Resolve or Filmora, it looks instantly turns so grainy. Almost like someone has pushed the sharpness up to a 100. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? So excited to have the wonderful equipment, but so frustrated I can't seem to edit or import (nevermind export) at high quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Are you taking the footage from the SDCard proper? You mention looking at it in App which would be low quality footage, the SDCard has the full resolution footage. You should see what the ISO is at as well. IF running Auto settings try the manual side and film several scenes making slight changes one by one and note which is which...you can spin to yourself and hold up a finger or two, three to designate settings on the shoots.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you, I shall look into this now. The footage is great on the SD card when I watch it back on the computer so don't think it's anything to do with the way it's captured. However when I put the footage into any editing suite, it completely ruins the footage.

It also crashes any editing software I use as well, so confused
At what resolution are you filming and how old is your computer setup? Are you familiar with using proxy files to edit?

Thank you. Recorded at both 2.7K and 1080. Both =same results when putting into editing. Using this laptop not sure on age etc pretty sure it's quite new and is working on Windows 10 operating system. No I am not familiar with using proxy files unfortunately

Attachments

• 1610476202074.jpg
    1610476202074.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: Thomas B
I think you are right. I tried other editing software and it said not enough physical memory (RAM) available. How would I free up space on Windows 10 for this?

If that’s genuinely an Intel Pentium laptop it will struggle.

Could you post the model number?

Proxy editing lets you edit at a lower resolution that the computer is able to handle and the final exported video is a frame for frame copy of your edit but produced at the original resolution.

You may be able to add more memory. Resolve needs 16GB ideally and more if you can afford it and the laptop can support it.

I think you are right. I tried other editing software and it said not enough physical memory (RAM) available. How would I free up space on Windows 10 for this?

Depends on how much ram you have in the first place ?
If you have less than 16gb, you'll need to add extra ram but the cpu performance could still be an issue.

Only have 4GB ram which seems to be a big issue, would this laptop specs be better suited?

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_131000.jpg
    IMG_20210113_131000.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 8
Editing takes a lot of ram. You are also looking at a lower quality while editing to speed things up.

Most good editing programmes take a lot of Random Access Memory and need good CPU.
RAM is like your work desk with your working files on it plus your working programme. Too small a desk means things you are working on get pushed off the desk and fall on the floor (crash)
Poor analogy but basically get as much RAM as possible and upgrade CPU.
I run my computers with 256 RAM plus keep C drive with at least 60GB free to move files in and out before saving to a separate drive.
To be serious with editing especially with 2k and 4K you need a heap of storage and free RAM.
There are helpful YouTube tutorials that can help to speed up programmes such as Da Vinci if things are tight.
I use Da Vinci Resolve and Pinncale Studio 24.

Reactions: hiflyer201
That's really helpful and I can understand through that analogy, thank you. Upgraded to this on rent till I can afford new. Do you think this will be able to keep up with 2.7k footage editing etc

Attachments

• 1610627555228.jpg
    1610627555228.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 4
That's really helpful and I can understand through that analogy, thank you. Upgraded to this on rent till I can afford new. Do you think this will be able to keep up with 2.7k footage editing etc

Nowhere near enough RAM. You should really have 16GB as a minimum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rle