DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Footage Seems Blurry with Ground Control LUT

sivart

Reactions
Not really sure what is up... Maybe it's just the rendering, but this seems like a muddy mess... Either that or my expectations were too high.

Using GroundControl LUT, PolarPro filter to get shutter of 1/50, ISO 100, 24fps, -1 sharpness, -3 contrast and saturation.

Thoughts?

I agree. The trees and fine vegetation look really blotchy or puffy like dabbed with a paintbursh. When you use your filters to get the shutter speed double the frame rate, is your EV between -1 and +1? I've noticed when I don't get enough light into the camera I tend to get blotchy vegetation as well.

Use +1 for sharpness. Anything less give you that watercolor effect. Especially if you run the exposure below about -0.3.

Reactions: digipix52
I agree with robert granata. forgot to mention that as well. I keep sharpness at +1 and the other two at 0.

Reactions: Robert Granata
I use an Icarus Lut when I use one. They recommend +1 sharpness, -2 contrast, and 0 saturation. Most all of the Lut packages I've seen recently call for sharpness to be +1.

Quick update on this; I contacted Casey @ Ground Control, and he replied nearly instantly with...

They've updated D-Log sharpness settings. Youll get much better results at 0 sharpness.

Sorry for the confusion.

Casey

Great to know he's aware, and that is possibly one of the issues with the footage.

Will try to film a bit more with new settings and see how it goes.

Thumbswayup Also props to Casey for the prompt response on his LUTs.

Do a search for 'mavic noise reduction', you'll find a ton of articles about it. Basically, the Mavic Pro switches on its own noise reduction (which isn't very good) when sharpness is set at 0 or below, keep it set at +1 and you'll be fine. If you find the resulting footage too sharp, you can always deal with this in post, what you can't deal with is mushy vegetation.

Filmed a bit more today with different settings -- didn't spend much time at all on color grading though, just wanted to drop a LUT and go.
  • D-Log
    • +1 Sharpness
    • -3 Contrast
    • -2 Saturation
  • PolarPro ND16/PL filter
  • ISO 100
  • Shutter 1/50 (changed it a few times today though)
    • EV stayed between 0 and +1
  • GroundControl Griffin Chance LUT
  • Neat Video De-Noise OFX Effect w/ Spectrum Grade 4K ISO 100 noise profile
It is for sure more crisp and vivid. I'm beginning to be more happy with the results.

I'm not all that sure that the noise reduction profile made much difference.

Shame that all the time was wasted filming the earlier video with the old settings though.

YouTube doesn't do much justice though. The 2.4GB H264 encoded video is at...

The 44GB DNxHR 444 video is at...

Quick question... is your polarising filter set correctly? I would have expected less reflection from the surface of the water and more contrast between sky and clouds. Lovely scenes though, and nice movement, very slow, very professional. Really very good :) You're also getting a little moire effect in the leaves - filmed higher than 24/25fps? I find you get this effect when shooting at 50/60fps on the Mavic Pro especially over textured scenes like roofs and trees.

I would also offer that you probably wouldn't need noise reduction on a bright day like this, especially at ISO100. Dusk at ISO400/800, yeah probably.

Thanks for that, both the footage and I seem to be slowly improving lol.

This was filmed at 24fps. Perhaps it's just because of the increase in sharpness?

As for the polarizing filter, I am not entirely sure... There were two noticable areas in the circle that you could see the reduction when looking at a monitor with your eye, not no noticable affect on blue or green colors... so I just randomly picked one of the directions to have the blacked out orientation of the filter at the top. I suppose I should read a bit more into it.

I also ordered some gradient filters from Polar Pro, just waiting on them to arrive.

Noted on the noise reduction; figured I would give it a try to reduce the flash or flicker you can somewhat see (from intra frame?)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS