DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For funny hobby flier-Near Airport

harmonix234

Reactions
So live near midway airport.
exactly one mile from it.
I can create an unlock zone to fly in the area.

So i contacted midway tower and they said i can fly with a waiver....
i explained the fly for hobby...400 ft clearance etc.

they said i was ok.

so my question is

i contacted the tower and gave them the info and went on my way....

but the mention of a waiver spooked me... i am not a registered 107 pilot so does the waiver apply to me??

thanks!

section 336 of Public Law 112-95:
"When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the model aircraft provides the airport operator or the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)."

It looks like you've done that.

Further, from Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help
  1. How do I request permission from Air Traffic Control to operate in Class B, C, D, or E airspace? Is there a way to request permission electronically?
    You can request airspace authorization through an online web portal available at www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver.

2. Can I contact my local air traffic control tower or facility directly to request airspace permission?
    No. All airspace permission requests must be made through the online portal.
I think is is important to realize that whatever a local controller tells you is not law. They are not trained in pilot certificate issues, so take it for what its worth. As a career airline pilot, though never involved in any certificate action, if it was me, I'd note the name date and time of my conversation with the Midway tower guy, but I would get the waiver through the online portal.

And take whatever my view is as a view, not codified or case law, but I am getting a formal waiver through the online portal as a 107 operator, and I would do so even if I wasn't.
There is no fun to be had dealing with the FAA when they are after someone.

So live near midway airport.
exactly one mile from it.
I can create an unlock zone to fly in the area.

So i contacted midway tower and they said i can fly with a waiver....
i explained the fly for hobby...400 ft clearance etc.

they said i was ok.

so my question is

i contacted the tower and gave them the info and went on my way....

but the mention of a waiver spooked me... i am not a registered 107 pilot so does the waiver apply to me??

thanks!

My understanding of the "recreational/hobbyist" rules, you don't need a waiver. You've already done your part and have also received the "OK" from the tower to fly. So go out and fly and enjoy your hobby, but also, be cautious of planes, helicopters, an UFO's in the area. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots