DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For Sale - $1000 Mavic Pro Paperweight

Tazerdog, your so right, I feel the same way. I've considered calling it a day, maybe getting a Phantom. I'm getting bored of constant problems.

I'm spending more time sorting out bugs than actually flying.

842855c3cc027b4af23b20ab5bfb2774.jpg
. High five Enigma! The only problem if you go Phantom now is that they've thrown this albatross on the awesome Phantom 4 as well. Don't get my wrong, knowledge of NFZs is good info but the way they (DJI) have implemented it to cover their ***** is disastrous. U have no options most of the times and the zones actually extend beyond the actual point. The Phantoms 2 & 3s though at least give u options. I live in NW Florida which u could technically call either range or ingress/egress airspace for Eglin AFB not to mention local airport airspace. No way in hell u r gonna get the attached awesome photo with a Mavic because you'll never get airborne. Thanks

Another example, go over to the PhantomPilots forum and see how few discussions center on NFZs. Trivial compared to all the mother may I stuff associated with the Mavic. I can just imagine the response from the local AFB tower when requesting clearance. Instead of being censored by this forum site, I'll type it for them. ************

Cedar Key is not your typical quiet airfield. It sees quite a bit of traffic, especially from students of all ratings doing their cross country training. I am skeptical of the 77 flights/week number. FL is an aviation training madhouse, and hosts lots of foreigners getting their ratings for much less $$ than it would have cost in their own countries (avgas being cheaper here than anywhere except the Middle East). I ran the flight line at downtown St. Pete airport (Albert Whitted - SPG) for quite a few years and our students and students using SPG for a leg were always picking Cedar Key for a leg destination. I mean, we're talking a lot of students. Not that this should prohibit you from flying on the key, that's for sure!

Reactions: Tazerdog
Not sure what they base the number of ops on as it's a non-tower airport in class g airspace, no way to track flights. It's strange that DJI NFZ stops you from flying there and not at my home airport also 2 other private airports with a couple miles of me.

Absolutely agreed - it should not be a NFZ. Absurd.

The one thing that it started to require me to do since I downloaded the 900 firmware is to log onto DJI go app before it would let me fly unrestricted, after I logged on I can unplug my iPad/ phone after launch and it didn't effect it.

I am a newbie to the forum & confused by this ...

Are you telling me that there are mavic-specific no fly zones that aren't "suggestions" but areas that you simply cannot get the drone to fly into even if you try?

Greetings from Cedar Key Florida! On vacation for a beautiful weekend getaway to a place unknown to most. Google it. Once again I take my Mavic along hoping to get some beautiful aerial footage but ...... nooooooo! You ain't taking off Bubba. You are in a NFZ. Not one of those, hey there is a runway in the area, so be responsible and check the box saying u will, then b on your way type things. One of those red, you aren't taking off no matter what type warnings. Because u r in the vicinity of an airstrip that on a good day may see 6-12 small aircraft landings. There is more business on most grass strips. There isn't even a building on a hangar that are part of this strip. Bottom line, everyone knows it's there and takes precautions. Except for those attempting to fly a Mavic. Once again I smartly brought my Pro 3 along, fired it up with no problems and flew. I'm not the smartest guy on the block but I've been flying drones for years responsibly; Vision 2+, Pro 3, and now the Mavic. Well not really the Mavic cause most places I can't fly because I'm either in a NFZ or I can't fly until I update to the 75th and latest firmware that takes a half a day to download and install. I bought it on a whim. Was totally satisfied with the Pro 3 that BTW I've done 1" software upgrade in a year and a half. If anyone has any great ideas, please pass along. Otherwise, I'm cutting my losses with this rock. Currently my app is 4.1.2, the drone is Ver 1.03.0800, and the DB is Ver 1.00.01.04

You got it Palm! If you are on the latest version of firmware it's a no go. That is why so many people refuse to update to the latest and most say anything after 400 isn't good. I have always upgraded to the latest firmware and haven't had a problem so far. If I do have a problem will have to rethink it at that time. Hopefully there will still be a way to downgrade or unlock the firmware. There are lots of sharp people flying Mavics.

You got it Palm! If you are on the latest version of firmware it's a no go. That is why so many people refuse to update to the latest and most say anything after 400 isn't good. I have always upgraded to the latest firmware and haven't had a problem so far. If I do have a problem will have to rethink it at that time. Hopefully there will still be a way to downgrade or unlock the firmware. There are lots of sharp people flying Mavics.

Thanks for the info. 1 currently have Ver 1.03.0800 so when u say anything after 400 I take it u r definitely talking to me. My Mavic is less than a year old and I'm not really sure what it came with but I distinctly remember 1st time I fired up, it had a red screen stating my drone required a firmware upgrade prior to 1st flight. Haven't upgraded since; hence the dilemma outlined in my 1st post. Any chance I can go back ?

No sorry Tazerdog ,I was responding to PalmettoAerial. My mavic gave me the same message when new firmware was aviaviable but then I learned at the time I could still fly and not do the update. Sometimes I just didn't have the time for an update. Seem DJI are getting more pushy now. My mavic isn't my first choice to fly, I started fixed wing fpv about 5 years ago and still thinks that's more fun than the mavic.

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
Thanks for the info. 1 currently have Ver 1.03.0800 so when u say anything after 400 I take it u r definitely talking to me. My Mavic is less than a year old and I'm not really sure what it came with but I distinctly remember 1st time I fired up, it had a red screen stating my drone required a firmware upgrade prior to 1st flight. Haven't upgraded since; hence the dilemma outlined in my 1st post. Any chance I can go back ?

Whether you realized it or not if you're on 800 you've updated since you got it. 800 was a recent update.

Tazerdog I know that DJI has taken many of the old firmware updates off their website but I'm not that sharp on how to go to an older version of firmware. There are people on this forum who are very knowledgeable and helpful maybe one of them can help you out.

What a bunch of BS

This has me rethinking my purchase now.

It's scheduled to arrive Wednesday

I think I just read somewhere that almost all the Florida Keys were NFZ because of some nonsense where they classify the bridges as "critical infrastructure".

My mavic pro is arriving on Wednesday ....

My plan was to update the app & firmware immediately and then go flying

Should that still be my plan? Any chance the drone will arrive with older firmware that predates all these BS hindrances ?

What a bunch of BS

This has me rethinking my purchase now.

It's scheduled to arrive Wednesday
I think I just read somewhere that almost all the Florida Keys were NFZ because of some nonsense where they classify the bridges as "critical infrastructure".

Cedar Key is up north on the west coast of Florida not down in Southern Florida. There is plenty of places in the Keys to fly though. None of the NFZs appear to be based off the bridges but odd airports and wild life refuges.

I have to agree with you TDog. I have 5 drones right now, both DJI drones are beginning to loose their appeal. I no longer recommend DJI to people. DJI isn't a law enforcement organization and should not attempt to be one. By attempting to protect their business they are actually doing it in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661