DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For those who bought the Mavic 2 PRO And the Mavic 2 Zoom..

My hope is that they are working on a phantom 5 that will do both.
i read dji will restart the ph4 2.0 line soon for a short period of time to accommodate professional photographers and others,don’t count on a ph5 anytime soon because the ph4 2.0 doesn’t have any competition from other drone makers so why invest in another phantom model

Did you end up selling one of the two and why? I'm asking because I have the Mavic 2 Zoom and thinking of buying the Mavic 2 Pro and I'm going to keep one of them but if I had insite of the 2 it may be helpful to my decision making...
I own both and appreciate them for what they do, but if I were to do it again I would not purchase the zoom for 5 reasons which may or may not be applicable to you.

1) The low light performance is hands down better in the M2P as others have indicated. This doesn't need to be night shots. Even shadows can introduce a wealth of noise which can be remedied with the right post tools, but it can be work and tedious to do

2) the M2P does not have a zoom but has 4k settings for FoV and HQ, where HQ acts like a fixed zoom while still getting the benefits of the overall better M2P camera

3) The M2P supports D-Log, opening up a wide range of non-destructive editing options to set color options to your liking

4) The absence of a selectable aperture on the zoom was unexpected. Perhaps it's the DSLR guy in me that is geared to consider choices between shutter speed, ND filter and aperture to dial-in light based on the situation

5) If you enjoy video editing, you can produce similar (and arguably more controlled) zoom effects from a M2P, including the dolly zoom using Resolve, Premiere, FCP, or your editor of choice. I found that using the zoom (other than the dolly effect) while flying has never produced anything I liked because it looks unnatural and artificial to my eye - but that's probably my lack of skill. I can get something more suitable personally by zooming in post editing.

In summary, I think the zoom is priced correctly - very capable, but less so than the M2P in a head to head comparison. My personal experience is that virtually every time I came home and looked at the M2Z footage, I had wished I had sent the M2P up instead - because I have the benefit of comparing. If I only had the zoom I'm sure I would not consider it an inferior product. I would not dissuade anyone from purchasing - this is what works for me based on personal likes and preferences.

I own both and appreciate them for what they do, but if I were to do it again I would not purchase the zoom for 5 reasons which may or may not be applicable to you. <snip>
I completely agree with everything GDadd posted. I purchased my M2Pro about six weeks ago, after extensive research (watched a LOT of videos from both the Pro and Zoom, and read dozens of reviews).

I have not once regretted my decision.

My background is in photography and video, so I fully appreciate and use all the significantly better-quality stills and video the Hassleblad can produce.

But here's the key insight:

I realized that the "zoom" in the M2Zoom version is actually not enough of a zoom to be useful. It's 2:1, compared to 10:1 on some of my zoom lenses, and what I have in my Lumix Z100 full-frame pocket camera.

Also, unless you actually need or want to zoom while filming, as opposed to simply cranking the camera to one extreme or the other and then start filming, you can achieve a pretty close approximation to the two extremes using the two 4K modes in the Pro.

And, of course, the Hitchcock "dolly zoom" is a total gimmick. I didn't even like it when he did it in "Psycho" and "Vertigo."

So, think really hard about how often you actually need to zoom while filming, and also ask yourself whether you are likely to have situations where you can't simply fly the drone closer to the subject or switch to the Pro's cropped mode to achieve the same thing. To repeat: the only advantage of the Zoom version is the ability to change zoom while filming.

Every time I fly the zoom, the zoom gets used.
And that is instead of flying closer to something that may not want me to be closer. Animal or vegetable.
I’m not used to any other zoom capable anything, so the capacity of this flying zoom is plenty for me.
( just a thought)

Reactions: Greenflash
I have the MA and MP2z and am keeping them both. For traveling on my motorcycle I normally take the MA but for more in depth and longer flights I use the MP2z. Personally I would not sell the zoom for a MP2 as I use the zoom and it's a real plus. I find the MA much easier to fly as it is a lot slower and more predictable however is I want to land fast I have to drop into sport mode or it takes forever to come down. I actually think the camera on the MA is also better but not enough to dissuade me from using the MP. I have owned 5 DJI drones so far and these two are the best by far.

I have my 107 so I also do some for hire work and the zoom feature is a real blessing and allows me to get close then zoom in tight - it will go to 4 power with the right settings. Plus I can also zoom in even more in post.

I have the zoom ....i also had the pro 2.... Well now i just have the zoom. I found myself using the zoom more even in professional situations. It is just a well rounded drone. Love the super resolution. Very under rated feature. Video i think is better on the zoom (4k). To be quite honest. To me it just looks crispy....and i like crispy :) Fov looked like crap on pro 2 so didnt use it the other punched in 4k mode was ok ....pics were nice but so is the zooms .....the pro 2 is great in low light tho! But i fly during the day. So there is different uses for everybody u just have to find what works for u

Did you end up selling one of the two and why? I'm asking because I have the Mavic 2 Zoom and thinking of buying the Mavic 2 Pro and I'm going to keep one of them but if I had insite of the 2 it may be helpful to my decision making...
I have the zoom myself and happy I didn't bought the pro, as the zoom have everything I needed for what I do.

Seems some people have plenty of $$$$ to play with.

In Australia having both is close to a $5000 outlay.

So unless I'm running a professional business I can't justify 2,

I have the Zoom and tickled pink how the M2Z handles ( coming from Yuneec )

As Someone earlier said the average Joe really couldn't tell the difference, I've taken some awesome clips and Photos with the Zoom. Plenty good enough for FB and Youtube( gets compressed anyway)

I recall putting cheap no brand Whiskey in a Grants single malt bottle and 4 of my friends stated it was the best they had tasted and it was nice to have a good drop now and then ....Haha

Really how often does a person fly in low light, Technically illegal in Australia anyway.

For my use can't see the $600 difference, fortunate enough to get the Zoom & fly more pack for around 2 grand. Suits my needs.

I posted my experience in the other thread, but I'll repost it here, since it is directly on point for the OP's question.

I initially bought the M2P, and then bought the Zoom gimbal and camera assembly from AliExpress for $279. I then did the well documented, easy 5 minute camera swap, and realized it was not a practical or safe solution to repeat, especially in the field! While the swap went well, the risk of damage to the ribbon cable attachment increases with each additional swap, potentially ruining both the drone receptacle and each camera's gimbal cable, with any misalignment. I found a U.S. website that sells otherwise unavailable new M2 spare parts, that also sells the brand new bare M2 drone they were stripped from, without a battery or camera, for only $650, and bought one. I then installed my previously removed M2P onto the bare new M2 body.

Now I have one of each camera already mounted on an M2 aircraft, with a single controller and tablet, and only need to spend 15 seconds binding the controller to the other drone to swap cameras, with no risk to anything! With two of the Fly More Kits, I now have 5 batteries.

I use the M2Z for skittish wildlife and surveillance where flying closer is not an option. The 1080p 30fps on the Zoom is awesome for up to 4x (24-96mm equivalent) for wildlife and bird nest observation, where the 4x keeps you far enough away that any bird attack from the nest is impossible, if you simply fly straight up. I use the M2P for everything else, especially spherical panoramas where the 20MP originals are far better than 12MP of the Zoom. Most of my other video flights are after dusk on the Pro, in either HQ or FOV, depending upon the desired field of view. Best of all worlds, without buying completely full kits of each, which are really unneeded. Definitely avoid the repeated camera swap in the field, which was never intended by DJI for anything other than a one time swap, which is why they never followed through on offering it, despite early rumors to that effect.

Buy the M2P full kit, and then add the $279 Zoom camera to a bare $650 Mavic 2 body. Only $929 more for adding a Zoom with a bare second Mavic 2 aircraft saves $370 over buying it separately. $2429 for a Pro and a Zoom! One controller and one tablet. Perfect travel kit!

Reactions: drakkor
Hi,
I'm new on this forum.
I've a question: why when I use the Quickshot automatic flight modes, are the videos accelerated?
Thanks a lot
Alvas

Hi,
I'm new on this forum.
I've a question: why when I use the Quickshot automatic flight modes, are the videos accelerated?
Thanks a lot
Alvas
Hi and welcome to the forum ! Although I recommend you posting your question in a new thread if you want to stay on subject and get some help much faster.

Now to reply quickly to your question, accelerated video are part of some of the Quickshot mode and cannot be changed. However, I believe that the normal raw video is still in your craft MicroSD card. To know more about this issue and fix, I advise you to go do some research on YouTube. There are plenty of people that gives you tutorial and tips about Quickshots there. :cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661