DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

? for those with both a Mini2 and an Air2

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
If you have both, which gets more air time and why? Thanks, this will help me make my decision. I just sold my MM which served me well but it’s time to move up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard70
Mini 2 for everyday casual use.... its small and goes everywhere with me. Air 2 for when I want some serious video and photography.

The Mini 2 looks and feels like a toy but is not, it can be a powerful tool and its less threatening to casual observers when flying near people.

Air 2 has a better camera and can handle more wind, collision sensors for avoiding unseen obstacles, looks and feels like a more serious drove.

They both have great range with the new controller. I honestly think if you are new to drones you would be happy with either. If you buy the Mini 2 you will always be tempted to upgrade, If you buy the Air 2 you would only then buy the Mini 2 if you wanted a more portable unit for backpacking etc...

Reactions: halifax
If you have both, which gets more air time and why? Thanks, this will help me make my decision.
I do not own a Mini 2, but I have the Air 2. One consideration between them is the Live View feed which is what your device displays from the camera. The Mini 2 is 720p while the Air 2 is HD at 1080p. For me, as one who enjoys the flight experience with a larger tablet, this higher resolution makes a big difference. Food for thought...

If you have both, which gets more air time and why? Thanks, this will help me make my decision.
This is a great hobby. The problem is that you will have the desire to get every new drone that DJI offers. The technology of these drones makes it a lot of fun for this 69 year old retiree. I have the Mavic Mini and the Mavic Air 2. Both are great drones, but the Air 2 is more fun to fly due to its increase capabilities. With the Mavic Mini or Mini 2, you have to be more aware of the wind. The temptation is there for me to get the Mini 2....ha. Living in the North, it is difficult to get much flying time during the winter months to fly the 7 DJI Drones in this enjoyable hobby. Even got the Part 107 just for the fun of it. It all started about 3-4 years ago with the purchase of the Phantom 4. That purchase led to the Spark, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro 2, Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Mini. Have fun making your decision and enjoy your hobby.

Reactions: halifax
Debz
If you have both, which gets more air time and why? Thanks, this will help me make my decision. I just sold my MM which served me well but it’s time to move up.
Thanks for asking this question. I hope it’s OK to add another to your thread -

I’d like to know how the sizes of the standard cases compare (the simple shoulder case that holds the drone, controller and several spare batteries)? I currently have an MA2 and find that case convenient for taking in a backpack for a day hike, but large for an overnight bikepack trip. I’m considering adding a Mini 2 for those longer trips for a couple of reasons - smaller size, lighter weight, quieter flights, ease of USB based charging, etc. But the primary consideration is overall size. Thanks for any thoughts.

Howard

Debz

Thanks for asking this question. I hope it’s OK to add another to your thread -

I’d like to know how the sizes of the standard cases compare (the simple shoulder case that holds the drone, controller and several spare batteries)? I currently have an MA2 and find that case convenient for taking in a backpack for a day hike, but large for an overnight bikepack trip. I’m considering adding a Mini 2 for those longer trips for a couple of reasons - smaller size, lighter weight, quieter flights, ease of USB based charging, etc. But the primary consideration is overall size. Thanks for any thoughts.

Howard
The standard cases for the two drones don't vary by enough to make a difference. However my aftermarket Mini 2 case is approximately 3in x 7in x 9in which makes it ridiculously portable for putting in a backpack.IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

The standard cases for the two drones don't vary by enough to make a difference. However my aftermarket Mini 2 case is approximately 3in x 7in x 9in which makes it ridiculously portable for putting in a backpack.
Saladshooter:

Thanks! That aftermarket case looks ideal. I haven’t seen a Mini 2 in real life - what is the component covering the mid section of the drone’s bottom in your image (w/ green scribble in copy of your image below)?
IMG_3632.JPG

Thanks again,

Howard

Saladshooter:

Thanks! That aftermarket case looks ideal. I haven’t seen a Mini 2 in real life - what is the component covering the mid section of the drone’s bottom in your image (w/ green scribble in copy of your image below)?
View attachment 123440

Thanks again,

Howard
That is just the prop cover that comes with the Mini 2..... Mini 1 had bent prop issues so DJI changed to better props and started supplying this cover.

This is a great hobby. The problem is that you will have the desire to get every new drone that DJI offers. The technology of these drones makes it a lot of fun for this 69 year old retiree. I have the Mavic Mini and the Mavic Air 2. Both are great drones, but the Air 2 is more fun to fly due to its increase capabilities. With the Mavic Mini or Mini 2, you have to be more aware of the wind. The temptation is there for me to get the Mini 2....ha. Living in the North, it is difficult to get much flying time during the winter months to fly the 7 DJI Drones in this enjoyable hobby. Even got the Part 107 just for the fun of it. It all started about 3-4 years ago with the purchase of the Phantom 4. That purchase led to the Spark, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro 2, Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Mini. Have fun making your decision and enjoy your hobby.
Hey Ramboat, out of your 7 DJI drones, which one gets the most air time? Thanks.

Hey Ramboat, out of your 7 DJI drones, which one gets the most air time? Thanks.
Dbez1, that is a good question. I really try and fly all 7 as regular as possible just to keep the parts moving and work the batteries. Living on the shore of a Great Lake, I can do most of my flying at home over the lake. To answer your question, if I want great photos, I use the Mavic 2 Pro (my favorite of the 7), then the Mavic Air 2, followed by the Mavic Pro; Mavic Air; Phantom 4; Mavic Mini; Spark. They are all great drones. I have the most confidence in the Mavic Pro 2 and Mavic Air 2 and probably fly these two more often. Have not crashed or lost any of the 7. They all are tons of fun. The Mini and Spark both take great photos/videos. Use these for flying short distances due to the wind on the lake. You will enjoy the fun of the drone no matter what you fly. (10 degrees now...wont be flying today...ha)

I use the Mini 2 the most because its micro-size allows it to fit into an OryxGear case that is carried on my belt. It's my constant companion whether working or recreating ... the solution to those unexpected "gee, it would be great to fly this right now" situations. The Air 2 and bigger aircraft get hauled out for specific missions. I thought that the Mini 2 was going to be more of a toy but that was just completely wrong.

Happy flying!

Reactions: Ramboat and Dbez1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007