DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forget to press that record button

Use litchi, it has the ability to auto record on takeoff.
Good morning I used Dronelink and couldn't figure out how to extract the videos is lichi free and how do I watch the video
I use litchi for all my flights so I have the same interface between different drones. There’s option to start/stop recording automatically on take off / landing.

I'm always forgetting to press the record button its driving me mad anyone with me
Maybe you could start saying (Record) out loud when you are ready to begin recording.
A verbal reminder, kinda like they say “action!” on a movie set.
Try this a few times and see if it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garatshay
Glad I'm not alone - thanks guys. The only thing worse is to be shooting fast action and realize I've been pressing stop each time I thought I pressed record, and vice-versa, so I ended up with 10 clips - each precisely between the action. I always swear I'll never let that happen again....until it does. Welcome to the club.

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
Maybe you could start saying (Record) out loud when you are ready to begin recording.
A verbal reminder, kinda like they say “action!” on a movie set.
Try this a few times and see it helps.
That's a good idea

I'll add to the RECORD and say when you are ready to do your filming, say out loud "FOCUS" then say "RECORD" and finish with.. "AND STOP" to end recording. Do that enough times and it will become second nature to you.

Of course you still have to do what it is you are saying out loud.

Reactions: dozzn
Glad I'm not alone - thanks guys. The only thing worse is to be shooting fast action and realize I've been pressing stop each time I thought I pressed record, and vice-versa, so I ended up with 10 clips - each precisely between the action. I always swear I'll never let that happen again....until it does. Welcome to the club.
Yuppers, that's me. *flinch*

my DJI FPV will start my video automatically. Why can't the M3? Why doesn't the M3 have waypoints? Why doesn't DJI build these improvements into a flagship model? Very frustrating.

Yep. I’ve been flying my MA2 for over a year now and am embarrassed to admit that it happened on my last flight. Using “Active Track / Spot Light” after locking onto my subject and pressing go. Forgot you must then press record after pressing go. Grrrrrrrrr Missed out on so much great footage.

Yep. I’ve been flying my MA2 for over a year now and am embarrassed to admit that it happened on my last flight. Using “Active Track / Spot Light” after locking onto my subject and pressing go. Forgot you must then press record after pressing go. Grrrrrrrrr Missed out on so much great footage.
Yep, the fish that got away is always the bigger than the one we landed and the video we shot with the camera off is always better than anything we actually wrote to memory.

Reactions: Squidinc
That sounds like me. Made a hazardous flight after extreme flooding here in Eastern Australia. Lost contact with drone…..mountainous and huge forests. Got Mini back. Couldn’t wait to see the footage…..duh ! Hadn’t switched record on . So disappointed that I did the same thing the following week. Never forget to do all other preflight checks.
Now have a big sticker on the Controller.

You might consider adding “press record” to your take-off checklist. It’s tough being human!
Plus 1! The older I get, the more important a written checklist is. Re video recording, most of my flights contain nothing of earth shaking interest to anyone anyway. I just enjoy flying.

Last edited:
I use a written checklist-log for every flight. It's a reminder of what to check and do. It also makes me think about what I am doing. A lot of thought is involved in flight and maintaining an aircraft.

Years ago was at the beach making a sunrise flight with my Phantom 3. Caught the sunrise and as I'm about to bring it home, I spy some Dolphins playing around. Of course, since I was only planning on a the Sunrise flight, my extra batteries were in the car safe from the sand. I run back to the car, swap batteries back to the beach and luckily the dolphins were still visible. Take-off, press record (I think), and the app crashes. I hover, restart the app, and spend a full battery "taking" great video of the Dolphins. As I'm coming in to land, I go to stop recording and that's when I realized, when the app crashed, it stopped my recording (or perhaps never started it). With all the rushing and excitement (running to the car, restarting app, dolphins, dophins!) I totally didn't double check. 15 minutes or so of great dolphin footage never taken.

I'm a more "practiced" flyer today and would hope my excitement wouldn't get me off my procedures like it did back then. Practice, awareness, and calmness is key for safe flying, so now I practice off-procedure things like app shutdowns occasionally. Still, I expect this might not be the last time I forget to record.

Too funny...I almost ALWAYS remember to hit record right from motor start...then I often fly to my destination, switch to stills for panorama etc. and video the return...BUT sooooo many times I forget to switch back to video and start my return only to turn off my video after landing only to find that I, in fact, took one final pic and have taken no video on the return.
I'm sure I'll do it again, so I just laugh anymore.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure