DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forget to press that record button

One of the reasons I use Litchi exclusively as I've missed some good moments because of this silly omission from DJI FLY.
Aside from it having the ability to start/stop auto recording I find it a better app all round. Plus it works on any device not just 64bit devices.

There's been times when I couldn't find the video I thought I took. It ended up being I started the recording, but hit the photo button before stopping the recording and it takes the photo and cancels the video save. That is on a Mini 1, I don't know if this is an issue with other models.

But, yeah, I've forgotten to hit the start or even the stop before powering down several times too.

• Haha
Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
I always forget to click stop, before shutting the M2 Pro off.
Thank goodness it still saves the file, LOL!!!
And I’ve also forgot to click record as well, LOL!!!

Based on more than a dozen outings with mini and mini2 after I remove the micro sd I find several times that I failed to switch the camera off for shorter clips editing not only became burdensome but the size of the files is humongous. I noted a rule of thumb for the length of clips, but cannot find the note. Anyone has any concept of the preferred length of drone footage clips. I noticed on a Youtube from Italy that the flyer/photographer had the timing down pat for the stacking short clips of different scenery that really kept my interest.

I may have done that. My guess is that the camera stops running?
It leaves the file either unclosed or improperly closed. If you happen to remove the card and download the files from it the affected video is unplayable.
If you did not remove the card etc. then the next boot of the drone tends to fix the 'damaged' video so the problem may have gone unnoticed. Indeed if you haven't messed with the file on the card and put the card back in the drone there is a fair chance the next drone boot will repair the damage.

I have forgotten to press the red button. Never have forgotten my sd card. I recently went to a rock quarry that I had really been looking forward to taking vids and stills, unpacked my drone only to notice that my 4 batteries were home at my charging station in my garage. Old age is not for the faint of heart!

I seem to only forget to hit Record when I'm trying to film a once in a lifetime event. A while back a friend asked me to get some drone footage of her in the midst of doing a 100 mile run. I got to the designated filming spot ahead of her, did all the preflight checks, and flew above and around her for several minutes as she passed by. After she was well off into the distance and I was on the return flight, I realized I'd not pressed Record. I had to wait another 4 hours or so for her to run past the designated spot again to re-do the shot.

I'm always forgetting to press the record button its driving me mad anyone with me
Since I'm not very good at this, I usually require a few takes to get a shot right. It seems my best take is usually the one where I forgot to hit record. I even have a label at the the top of the controller that says RECORD! And I still forget sometimes.

Since I'm not very good at this, I usually require a few takes to get a shot right. It seems my best take is usually the one where I forgot to hit record. I even have a label at the the top of the controller that says RECORD! And I still forget sometimes.
Alexa really good idea I’m grabbing my LabelMaker as we speak lol

Reactions: guzewski
It's not like a condition of amnesia, it's just too nervous or flying too hastily, I've had similar problems before.

I've done that. But sometime I'm just in the "I want to just fly" mode rather than the "I want to make movies/photographs"

Last edited:
I contacted DJI Support via chat at

Although the Autostart Video On Takeoff feature is not available at this time for the Mavic 3 (and others), they DID pass my concerns along to the delelopers to consider for a future release

If others are interested in seeing the "autostart video on takeoff" feature added to the M3 (or others) I encourage you to take a minute to chat with DJI and ask them to pass your request on to the developers to raise their awareness to the need. Hopefully, the more people request it, the sooner it will be implemented.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I contacted DJI Support via chat at

Although the Autostart Video On Takeoff feature is not available at this time for the Mavic 3 (and others), they DID pass my concerns along to the delelopers to consider for a future release

If others are interested in seeing the "autostart video on takeoff" feature added to the M3 (or others) I encourage you to take a minute to chat with DJI and ask them to pass your request on to the developers to raise their awareness to the need. Hopefully, the more people request it, the sooner it will be implemented.
I am sure you mean add the option to auto start, there are many who do not want to record video from takeoff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt