DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forgot to remove gimbal lock!

looopson

Reactions
Crap! I forgot to remove the gimbal lock (AND plastic cover) when I updated the firmware on my Mavic with my laptop. Do you guys think I did any damage? Now I'm worried about it...

In the future, when updating firmware, its best to have your arms extended, keep a fan blowing into the front grill past the gimbal, and of course remove the bubble and gimbal lock.

There is noone that can say you didnt do any damage because just keeping the drone on for 20 minutes during the firmware update with the bubble on and gimbal lock in can overheat the internal components, especially the gimbal board. It makes the fan work harder sucking air in, and it makes your gimbal movements during firmware update impossible.

Before you fly it again, do a gimbal autocalibration, of course remove the gimbal lock and bubble before you do that and see if you get any error message like gimbal obstructed.

Reactions: looopson
In the future, when updating firmware, its best to have your arms extended, keep a fan blowing into the front grill past the gimbal, and of course remove the bubble and gimbal lock.

There is noone that can say you didnt do any damage because just keeping the drone on for 20 minutes during the firmware update with the bubble on and gimbal lock in can overheat the internal components, especially the gimbal board. It makes the fan work harder sucking air in, and it makes your gimbal movements during firmware update impossible.

Before you fly it again, do a gimbal autocalibration, of course remove the gimbal lock and bubble before you do that and see if you get any error message like gimbal obstructed.

I haven't done a gimbal autocal yet. Do I do that through the DJI 4 app?

Now I am feeling better...it happened on my first three flights albeit they were short, now I really do follow a proper checklist.

I am just glad I'm not the only one. That firmware update took a while and I had that gimbal lock and bubble cover on the whole time! I am more hopeful now that I didn't cause any permanent damage. I have NOT forgot the lock or cover since.... it was definitely a wake-up call.

Reactions: Clinton1
Nope, done it myself a few times. It has protections built in. Over current will just shut it down and throw an error message.

When I did it, then removed it . The camera stuck in a diagnal position not being able to controll it. Landed it and turned the power on and off, went through the self califbration fine and worked fine in flight too. So I guess there was no damage?

As said in the other thread you asked in, I think you are fine now.

I'm not 100% sure it the M2P camera and gimbal is prone to the same overload problems the MP (and probably MPP) was, but I accidentally left my gimbal clamp on a few times.
The last time this happened, some 18 months or more ago, I actually managed to take off for about 20 seconds and flew, obviously I recognised my error by the stuck position on the monitor, flew it back, but too late.
The gimbal was not operational, would no calibrate properly, had done some damage.
To their credit, DJI replaced with refurbished, and I think it actually flies / videos better than the original.

I think the newer version Mavics gimbals are supposed to be a little more resilient, but best to just avoid it.

Get a good warning method like the tag, or some fluro rescue tape like I did, so you can never forget it again.
After a while it's 2nd nature to remove it.

mavic_clamp_tape_lr.jpg

There most likely isn't any physical damage because if you think about it a motor moves something without touching the connection the only link is a magnetic field and if you avaer played with magnets you know it can be over powered

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada