DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forgot to take gimbal guard off before turning drone on

Just do what real commercial pilots do on the proper planes just have a pre flight check list and tick off as you proceed to takeoff
I am a private pilot and have flown several different types of aircraft, and yes, I always use check list. What got me with the gimbal cover was that I wasn't powering on for flight. I was powering on to download pictures from the SD card. I didn't even have the props installed. That's when I choose to hot glue the plastic card to the gimbal to block the power button. It's worked great for me so far.

I've always been removing my gimbal guard before turning on the drone. But today I made mistake of forgetting and after I turned it on a few mins later I noticed. So while drone was still on I took the guard off. The guard felt a little stiff to remove. Everything seems to be fine but wondering if any damage to the gimbal can occur?
Done is several times. Hasn't seemed to make a difference to be honest.

Just do what real commercial pilots do on the proper planes just have a pre flight check list and tick off as you proceed to takeoff
This is probably the best idea. To add to this idea, use the "flow concept". Always do things in the same way and if interrupted then start over and never be in a hurry. You will eventually make a mistake by rushing. I have been a Commercial pilot now for over 28 years and this concept has kept me out of trouble too many times to say. And yes I have forgotten to take gimble guard off when I was a new Mavic pilot, but when I adopted my flow pattern I have yet to make that mistake again.

You might want to use one of the methods described in some threads of making a flag or plastic flap to attach to your gimbal cover. I left the cover on my first MA the second day I had it and it killed the gimbal motor. Replaced under warranty. I cut an old credit card in half and hot glued it to the party of the cover near the battery to block the power button with the cover on. Works great.
Great idea! I think I will use your idea for all of my drones! Thanks buddy

Reactions: heehaw4me
This is probably the best idea. To add to this idea, use the "flow concept". Always do things in the same way and if interrupted then start over and never be in a hurry. You will eventually make a mistake by rushing. I have been a Commercial pilot now for over 28 years and this concept has kept me out of trouble too many times to say. And yes I have forgotten to take gimble guard off when I was a new Mavic pilot, but when I adopted my flow pattern I have yet to make that mistake again.
I have a preflight checklist that I use EVERY TIME before I put my drone up in the air. I actually printed it out and laminated it so it doesn’t get destroyed while I am transporting it.
And the most important thing is like you suggested to not be nervous and take your time to be sure you have all your parameters set up before you put your drone up in the air.

Reactions: Kenny610
I've always been removing my gimbal guard before turning on the drone. But today I made mistake of forgetting and after I turned it on a few mins later I noticed. So while drone was still on I took the guard off. The guard felt a little stiff to remove. Everything seems to be fine but wondering if any damage to the gimbal can occur?
After forgetting the guard too many times, I glued a 6" red ribbon to the guard. Pretty much solved the forgetfulness problem.

Did two flights back to back... Effed and jeffed the camera was broken before realising my mistake. Removed it and all was good. No big deal. Don't tell anyone!

Reactions: Opabob
For my Mavic Pro, I have left the gimbal holder on twice and taken off, but immediately there is a warning about gimbal overloading so I realised I forgot and quickly landed it to remove the gimbal holder. As someone said, it can be because you were distracted when setting up.

I have a preflight checklist that I use EVERY TIME before I put my drone up in the air. I actually printed it out and laminated it so it doesn’t get destroyed while I am transporting it.
And the most important thing is like you suggested to not be nervous and take your time to be sure you have all your parameters set up before you put your drone up in the air.
New Mavic owner here.
Would you mind sharing your checklist?

You might want to use one of the methods described in some threads of making a flag or plastic flap to attach to your gimbal cover. I left the cover on my first MA the second day I had it and it killed the gimbal motor. Replaced under warranty. I cut an old credit card in half and hot glued it to the party of the cover near the battery to block the power button with the cover on. Works great.
Please explain or maybe a photo?

Please explain or maybe a photo?
Here ya go.
450ad11097a8089fb4563dec7a6b56b7.jpg
547c2f3e62c2f781b92ace04622a3b2a.jpg
e106a85af685007df871d31289fc2f1f.jpg

Reactions: MavicFlyer and CJoe
The downside of this approach is if the battery is in the craft after the guard is put on, one may still forget, but otherwise a nice idea.
The plastic blocks the power switch from being pushed. The only way to turn on the power is remove the cover.

The plastic blocks the power switch from being pushed. The only way to turn on the power is remove the cover.

OK, now I get it. This is great, I'll be doing it for mine as well, thank you for sharing.

Just adds a step if you want to pull the battery after cover is on.. Good approach for hiding the button tho!

I think it's been said before, but.. No amount of safeguards will prevent a problem if you don't follow a proper "checklist" or start up routine.. Practice makes perfect

Reactions: Underdog1964
i never transport mine with a battery in it. I posted my mailing label stuck to the flap similar to the other glued on ideas. Can't insert a battery nor power up an inserted battery. Bullet proof.

Here ya go.
547c2f3e62c2f781b92ace04622a3b2a.jpg
I like your solution because it physically prevents the power button from being pushed. The important thing here is not removing before flight, but removing before power up for ANY reason!

Back in the day when I was flying, I was religious about using checklists, but this is a case where a checklist won’t always protect you - powering up to access data on the drone is so simple that nobody is likely to create a one item checklist. It’s like a gust lock on a plane with a pin that goes through the yoke shaft, so you can’t move the yoke in any direction, until you remove it.

DJI should change the gimbal lock design to include a tab that covers the power button...and give you a royalty for using your idea!

Reactions: heehaw4me
I like your solution because it physically prevents the power button from being pushed. The important thing here is not removing before flight, but removing before power up for ANY reason!

Back in the day when I was flying, I was religious about using checklists, but this is a case where a checklist won’t always protect you - powering up to access data on the drone is so simple that nobody is likely to create a one item checklist. It’s like a gust lock on a plane with a pin that goes through the yoke shaft, so you can’t move the yoke in any direction, until you remove it.

DJI should change the gimbal lock design to include a tab that covers the power button...and give you a royalty for using your idea!

I think it’s everyone own personal responsibility to take him own gimbal cover off.. if you hop into your car you never forget to put your seat belt on.. after paying for your repair I don’t think your ever gonna forget again.. just commonsense ay?
Cheers
Happy flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa