DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forgot to take gimbal guard off before turning drone on

john2k

Reactions
I've always been removing my gimbal guard before turning on the drone. But today I made mistake of forgetting and after I turned it on a few mins later I noticed. So while drone was still on I took the guard off. The guard felt a little stiff to remove. Everything seems to be fine but wondering if any damage to the gimbal can occur?

I did it yesterday being in a hurry and just powered off took it off and flew. Happens like Irish said.

Reactions: Inspirephil
You might want to use one of the methods described in some threads of making a flag or plastic flap to attach to your gimbal cover. I left the cover on my first MA the second day I had it and it killed the gimbal motor. Replaced under warranty. I cut an old credit card in half and hot glued it to the part of the cover near the battery to block the power button with the cover on. Works great.

Last edited:
I’ve done this a handful of times so far.
I've now been going through the motions as if I’m going to fly so I can get in the habit of removing it prior to POST.

Some folks have put a brightly colored sticker on it to remind them but I think getting into a habit may work better for me.

Reactions: jesswin
Happens to everyone. in the Mavic Pro it's just poor design by DJI. They did better on the Air. They could easily add a bypass sending when the clamp is on, to avoid any movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicFlyer
I
I’ve done this a handful of times so far.
I've now been going through the motions as if I’m going to fly so I can get in the habit of removing it prior to POST.

Some folks have put a brightly colored sticker on it to remind them but I think getting into a habit may work better for me.
I've never forgotten, but I did get a routine going, but I've also ordered a sweet sticker to remind visually lol
DJI Mavic Air Warning Stickers

Trouble is that you might turn on the drone just to update the firmware or calibrate the IMU, so also the "remove before flight" stickers wouldn't work. One should better put stickers near the power button, but it's also easy to get in the habit of not looking.

I taped some red ribbon to mine.

You should be fine, just don't make a habit of it :)

I left the OEM sticker on my gimbal protector which says REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT or something to that effect, so I haven't made that mistake but it's probably a matter of time.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
I think when a lot of people do this, it isn't before flight, but when updating firmware - a situation where it would otherwise be reasonable to turn on the drone but leave the gimbal protector in place.

Reactions: mad monkey
That's when I almost did it. I transfer my media via USB. The SD slot is too small for me So I plugged in drone and went to power on when I saw the factory gimbal sticker and bam pulled it. This new sticker is even brighter so I'm good

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000