DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Drone w/ FAA Id# How do I find the owner?

tmiller

Reactions
A friend of mine found a drone in his back yard this morning and it has an FAA Id#. How do I find out who that number is registered to? This is in the USA.

Reactions: Hardgainer
I don't think you can. You could check the photos, if there are any on the SD, and possibly look at the EXIF data embedded in them to see exactly where they were taken. I don't have much sympathy for people that lose a drone if they haven't put a phone number on it.

I'm surprised the FAA doesn't have a cross reference to identify the owner but I guess that would violate privacy laws. I agree who puts the FAA # on their drone but not a contact number.

Is it required by FFA to state a phone number?
Lack of phone number inconveniences owner only and no one else.
No sympathy? Pretty dismissive. Karma take a note.
No, it's not required by the FAA. My point is that if you don't care enough to put a phone number or email address on your AC then you don't care much about getting it back. I see posts like this all the time. It also is an inconvenience for someone who wants to try to return it.

I'm surprised the FAA doesn't have a cross reference to identify the owner but I guess that would violate privacy laws. I agree who puts the FAA # on their drone but not a contact number.

There is an FAA database of “N” numbers for manned aircraft but with drones it would be a privacy violation? Doesn’t track.

A friend of mine found a drone in his back yard this morning and it has an FAA Id#. How do I find out who that number is registered to? This is in the USA.

Best advice I can supply, after looking at law enforcement response guided by the FAA, is to call your local FAA office. Go to the State dropdown and give them a call.....

Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)

Thank you for taking the time to come to this forum and glad your fiend is willing to follow this up - many in his/her situation would simply throw it away making no attempt to find the owner. I am curious why the drone owner did not knock on your friend's door but it could be a "flyaway" and the owner might have no idea.

In any event - best of luck and please let us know how it goes!! The FAA will be able to track the number off the drone to individual/address.

You would think that the FAA would at least offer to contact the owner. They don't have to share the contact info. Sure, it's only $5 to register a drone, but for what purpose? What service do they provide to the owner of that drone?

Reactions: Drgnfli and WAXMAN
You would think that the FAA would at least offer to contact the owner. They don't have to share the contact info. Sure, it's only $5 to register a drone, but for what purpose? What service do they provide to the owner of that drone?

You get registration - which is required by law. When you register your vehicle, what service is provided? As for the other - if the OP contacts the FAA we may find out. My guess is (I haven't tried to track down a drone) is that if the OP, or anyone, contacts the FAA with a good reason and registration number, the FAA may contact the owner and act as an intermediary - if not we will find that out but it seems reasonable.

Reactions: Deaser

There are no privacy laws for federal registrations- ham radio licenses and aircraft N numbers are publicly searchable and provide the registrant’s name and address online, too. I think the FAA can legally do the same when they get around to posting a database for the UAV registrations. It is also publicly viewable right now by providing them with a simple FOIA request.

Last edited:

Go to FAA.gov

There is a search there for N numbers. It might be in there. Not sure. Maybe something in the Drone Zone.

No, it's not required by the FAA. My point is that if you don't care enough to put a phone number or email address on your AC then you don't care much about getting it back. I see posts like this all the time. It also is an inconvenience for someone who wants to try to return it.
Sorry but NO! you even contradict yourself. The fact that someone “wants to try to return it” means it IS’NT an inconvenience. I really hope this sort of thing doesn’t happen to you and you’re in the position of needing someone who wants to help. Have a great Christmas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr