DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV for the DJI Minis

Chaosrider

Reactions
I want to get advice for putting together a kit to allow the video for the DJI Minis to be viewed in an immersive FPV environment. I'm not looking for anything close to the quality of the video in the DJI FPV goggles, but I don't want just a box that holds the phone 5" from my eyes either. Something intermediate. I don't want to spend more money than necessary, but it has to work.

If we can develop a kit that we generally agree will work, and it's not outrageously expensive, I'll buy all the parts, put them together, and either make it work, or characterize how it doesn't work. Eventually we'll find a kit that does work, and I'll then document both that and the connection and operational procedures.

With a quick look, we need to identify the following:

1) Goggles to use for this purpose. They have to be fully immersive, block out the vast majority of the sunlight, and not just be a box to put a phone or tablet in. I'm looking for a specific product recommendation, preferably a link to buy it on Amazon.
2) What cabling would be needed? The system must retain DJI Fly as the control mechanism for the drone, so the cabling will need to support an architecture that includes both the phone and the goggles. A solution that works for both Android and iOS would be ideal, but I'm not interested in an iOS-only solution at the moment. Specific Amazon product pointer, if possible.
3) What other dongles, or any other hardware, would be needed?
4) What's the wiring architecture for the final Rube Goldberg device? What gets connected to what, by what cables?
5) What software might be needed, in addition to DJI Fly?

More requirements may be identified as the discussion progresses, which is fine. I've used the Rapid Prototyping variant of the Agile class of project management methodologies for decades.

Technical suggestions or questions of any kind will be greatly appreciated. Snark of any kind, whether directed at me or anyone else who joins the discussions, will be thoroughly UNappreciated, and I won't respond to any post that contains it.

This is clearly possible. It's just a question of making an organized and documented effort to find a good solution.

Thanks in advance!

:cool:

• Wow
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I want to get advice for putting together a kit to allow the video for the DJI Minis to be viewed in an immersive FPV environment. I'm not looking for anything close to the quality of the video in the DJI FPV goggles, but I don't want just a box that holds the phone 5" from my eyes either. Something intermediate. I don't want to spend more money than necessary, but it has to work.

If we can develop a kit that we generally agree will work, and it's not outrageously expensive, I'll buy all the parts, put them together, and either make it work, or characterize how it doesn't work. Eventually we'll find a kit that does work, and I'll then document both that and the connection and operational procedures.

With a quick look, we need to identify the following:

1) Goggles to use for this purpose. They have to be fully immersive, block out the vast majority of the sunlight, and not just be a box to put a phone or tablet in. I'm looking for a specific product recommendation, preferably a link to buy it on Amazon.
2) What cabling would be needed? The system must retain DJI Fly as the control mechanism for the drone, so the cabling will need to support an architecture that includes both the phone and the goggles. A solution that works for both Android and iOS would be ideal, but I'm not interested in an iOS-only solution at the moment. Specific Amazon product pointer, if possible.
3) What other dongles, or any other hardware, would be needed?
4) What's the wiring architecture for the final Rube Goldberg device? What gets connected to what, by what cables?
5) What software might be needed, in addition to DJI Fly?

More requirements may be identified as the discussion progresses, which is fine. I've used the Rapid Prototyping variant of the Agile class of project management methodologies for decades.

Technical suggestions or questions of any kind will be greatly appreciated. Snark of any kind, whether directed at me or anyone else who joins the discussions, will be thoroughly UNappreciated, and I won't respond to any post that contains it.

This is clearly possible. It's just a question of making an organized and documented effort to find a good solution.

Thanks in advance!

:cool:
All you need is a device (phone, tablet, etc.) with an HDMI output that will run DJI Fly and any goggles that will take a hdmi input. The now discontinued original white DJI goggles or the black/red racing edition DJI goggles are good choices but any with an HDMI input will work.

These devices are digital not analog so there’s no wiring or cables that will let you bypass the need for a device with and hdmi output.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stach
All you need is a device (phone, tablet, etc.) with an HDMI output that will run DJI Fly and any goggles that will take a hdmi input. The now discontinued original white DJI goggles or the black/red racing edition DJI goggles are good choices but any with an HDMI input will work.

These devices are digital not analog so there’s no wiring or cables that will let you bypass the need for a device with and hdmi output.
That could be a problem. The HDMI devices that I've looked at so far are all seriously not cheap. If there's such a device in the $200 price range, that might work. Do you know of any such devices?

Alternatively, is there some kind of patch cable you can get to plug an HDMI cable in to a USB-C port?

Is it the goggles that drive the need for the HDMI? Are there lower end goggles that don't have that requirement?

Thx!

That could be a problem. The HDMI devices that I've looked at so far are all seriously not cheap. If there's such a device in the $200 price range, that might work. Do you know of any such devices?

Alternatively, is there some kind of patch cable you can get to plug an HDMI cable in to a USB-C port?

Is it the goggles that drive the need for the HDMI? Are there lower end goggles that don't have that requirement?

Thx!
And that’s where DJI has you by the 🍒 because by the time you get a device with HDMI out and goggles that can take an HDMI input you might as well just buy the DJI FPV drone which would be a much better FPV experience anyway

I have no doubt it's possible, but not at the budget you propose. I understand you want to have a similar experience with your Minis as with your FPV, but I don't see a practical way of having that for under $200.

Last edited:
And that’s where DJI has you by the 🍒 because by the time you get a device with HDMI out and goggles that can take an HDMI input you might as well just buy the DJI FPV drone which would be a much better FPV experience anyway
I already have the DJI FPV, and I love it!

The intent of this project is to get FPV capabilities for the Minis. I believe it can be done, and I think it would be a good thing.

I'm rumbling toward accepting the "screen mirroring" approach as a first step. An OP pointed out the screen mirroring may have gotten better since I last looked at it, and that's certainly likely. It would certainly be the simpler option.

Under the SM scenario all that would really be needed would be the FPV goggles and the dongle that would attach to the goggles to receive the screen mirroring signals. Anyone have recommendations for either of those components?

Then I'd need to identify and document the specific steps to make the SM connection. This will certainly vary between Android and iOS, and there may well be variations based on the specific goggles.

I also realized that the lag issue may not really be a problem at all. With the FPV, any lag between the goggles and what the aircraft is doing could easily be fatal to the aircraft. With the Minis...not so much. You're a whole lot less likely to whack into something going 22 mph, than you are going 82 mph!

My objective is to identify an "FPV Kit" for the minis, with a specific parts list, and written checklist descriptions that people can use to set it up and make it work.

If I can pull it in for under $300, I think a lot of people would be interested in checking it out.

Thanks for your help!

TCS

The mistake you're making is seeming to ignore that this has come up countless times before and others have already done what you're proposing. A desire for FPV on DJI drones goes back to Phantoms.

Google is your friend. Do some research. It's puzzling you expect someone else to do this for you. The fact is, the market for this is just too small, no interest. You see it right here in the largest DJI drone discussion board.

Here's a start:

screen mirroring hdmi dongle

VR goggles with hdmi input

Last edited:
The mistake you're making is seeming to ignore that this has come up countless times before and others have already done what you're proposing. A desire for FPV on DJI drones goes back to Phantoms.

Google is your friend. Do some research. It's puzzling you expect someone else to do this for you. The fact is, the market for this is just too small, no interest. You see it right here in the largest DJI drone discussion board.

Here's a start:

screen mirroring hdmi dongle

VR goggles with hdmi input
One man's bug is another man's feature...

I always prefer asking questions to doing research. It's a "do unto others" variant. I love to answer questions, if I know anything about the question being asked.

I don't "expect" anything, and it's puzzling that you suggest that I do. I ask questions. If someone has an answer and wants to share it, they do. If they don't, then they don't. Entirely at the discretion of the question reader. No "expectations" on my part.

Thanks for the links! It looks like they may provide what I need.

I seriously am curious, though. Why would you think that asking a question implies an expectation on the part of the questioner? Can't it just be...a question?

Thx.

Reactions: Jam0ne
You keep asking for links to Amazon, for example. Certainly you expect the answer to be a link, which requires someone to do the work necessary to provide you with one.

Someone may think, "why don't you go do that yourself?"

Of course there's nothing wrong with asking questions. However, on this topic they are likely to be largely ignored for the reasons in post #7.

You keep asking for links to Amazon, for example. Certainly you expect the answer to be a link, which requires someone to do the work necessary to provide you with one.

Someone may think, "why don't you go do that yourself?"

Of course there's nothing wrong with asking questions. However, on this topic they are likely to be largely ignored for the reasons in post #7.
A hope doesn't constitute an expectation. If someone asked me for a link to something I knew about and had an interest in, I would happily provide it.

Some people do think "why don't you do that for yourself?", as is obvious from the fact that some people say it! But that fact should motivate a change in my behavior...why, exactly?

I have a very high success rate with getting answers to my requests. Perhaps, that suggest that there are others like me, who are happy to answer questions from people who ask, when it's easy to do so.

:)

Reactions: Grandpa and Jam0ne

Chaosrider. I don’t know if this is in the ballpark of your inquiry, but mine works great. I don’t use it when flying alone, but do when there’s someone to spot for me. The optics in this mask are excellent. Its adjustable and will accommodate reading glasses up to 3.0

It’s pretty exciting when flying close to something at speed. FPV racers already know this (smile).

Reactions: Krrr

Chaosrider. I don’t know if this is in the ballpark of your inquiry, but mine works great. I don’t use it when flying alone, but do when there’s someone to spot for me. The optics in this mask are excellent. Its adjustable and will accommodate reading glasses up to 3.0

It’s pretty exciting when flying close to something at speed. FPV racers already know this (smile).
I go back and forth about whether the direct "phone in the box" configuration will work well for me. This looks like a good product at a reasonable price. One of the reasons that I have a preference for getting things from Amazon is the 100% quick and painless return policy. These folks say you can get a full refund if you don't like them, and that may well be true, but it's not likely to be as convenient.

I looked on Amazon, and while they don't have this one, they have a bunch of very cheap (under $50) variants. My current thought is to just get one of those, and see if this configuration even works for me. If It does, but I don't like the quality of the cheap one, then I can send that one back, and get this one, with more confidence that the configuration will work for me.

What extended cable do you use to connect the Mini-2 controller to the goggles? Where did you get it?

Thx!

What phone do you use with these?

Thx

What extended cable do you use to connect the Mini-2 controller to the goggles? Where did you get it?

Thx!

Hi Chaosrider. I use a 6’ video capable cord, iOS to usb-c, right angle. This allows me to set the goggles on the ground and fly the aircraft VLOS when needed, without having to hold onto to the mask at the same time. Got the cable at Amzn. Cable fits thru the zipper to inside of mask. The design works fine.

Mask works good with either my iPhone 7 or my wife’s 8+. About 45 minutes is my limit, and the limit for anything on my head. I get antsy about wearing head stuff I guess.

Its a small company in Europe and they happily answer questions. Nice folks all around. I don’t use the magimask all he time, but I’m glad to have it in the pack. As with any goggles, one can’t use the touch screen while the phone is zipped in.

Hi Chaosrider. I use a 6’ video capable cord, iOS to usb-c, right angle. This allows me to set the goggles on the ground and fly the aircraft VLOS when needed, without having to hold onto to the mask at the same time. Got the cable at Amzn. Cable fits thru the zipper to inside of mask. The design works fine.

Mask works good with either my iPhone 7 or my wife’s 8+. About 45 minutes is my limit, and the limit for anything on my head. I get antsy about wearing head stuff I guess.

Its a small company in Europe and they happily answer questions. Nice folks all around. I don’t use the magimask all he time, but I’m glad to have it in the pack. As with any goggles, one can’t use the touch screen while the phone is zipped in.
OK, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S20, so I'll need to get that cable instead. It has a USB-C, so I guess a straight USB-C to USB-C would work. I already have a couple of those lying around.

I'm rapidly convincing myself to get one of the cheap versions on Amazon now, and just see if I like the configuration. Does the phone get heavy, being out on a lever arm away from your head?

Thx!!

OK, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S20, so I'll need to get that cable instead. It has a USB-C, so I guess a straight USB-C to USB-C would work. I already have a couple of those lying around.

I'm rapidly convincing myself to get one of the cheap versions on Amazon now, and just see if I like the configuration. Does the phone get heavy, being out on a lever arm away from your head?

Thx!!
Naw, setup doesn’t get heavy, but at 70 I have to exercise to keep the bogey man away, which includes some neck stuff. I imagine some will get stressed from goggles.

Have fun experimenting
Have fun flying
Have fun at everything

Naw, setup doesn’t get heavy, but at 70 I have to exercise to keep the bogey man away, which includes some neck stuff. I imagine some will get stressed from goggles.

Have fun experimenting
Have fun flying
Have fun at everything
Wow, what an old fart! I'm a mere 67...

;-)

I have the DJI FPV, and those goggles don't bother me at all.

Now I just need to confirm that the cheapy that I want to buy to test the configuration has a "cut-out" to allow the cable in to the phone.

Thx

Reactions: bmcelya
I'm actually making this DJI VR FPV app, for Quest 1, 2, Pro.

Not just FPV capabilities, but actual 3D VR controls, hand controller support for the Quest devices, 3D maps inside a VR engine, and much more.

Ping me if you're interested!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143