DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV & LOS

spudster

Reactions
Site
kuula.co
New to drones, got my Mini 2 about a week ago so still trying to digest all of the rules. I know that you are always suppose to keep your drone with in sight at all times. But when using the FPV goggles how can it be said you are keeping it within sight? How is this any different then just using the screen view with the Mini to go where you want?

New to drones, got my Mini 2 about a week ago so still trying to digest all of the rules. I know that you are always suppose to keep your drone with in sight at all times. But when using the FPV goggles how can it be said you are keeping it within sight? How is this any different then just using the screen view with the Mini to go where you want?
Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

In general & according to most countries regulations you need an observer if you use goggles.

Thanks for the info, for some reason I didn't think of that considering that there is no way that a spotter (if they even have one) could have LOS on many of the videos that I have seen.

Reactions: tlswift58
Thanks for the info, for some reason I didn't think of that considering that there is no way that a spotter (if they even have one) could have LOS on many of the videos that I have seen.
Especially if its a DJI commercial add. as they break all the rules , I am always amazed at that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land on Water.

Reactions: THE CYBORG

Vision is a crazy thing. I may fly 250 feet away and lose LOS due to many variables with my vision, bright sunlight, etc. and a small gray drone.

People who fly 1 mile out into the ocean to shoot a lighthouse certainly have no direct line of sight with their drone - esp without a skin or as some say - they use binoculars. Some use attached strobes / etc to keep contact.

In many of the waterfall situations I fly in - I may not have a direct VLOS due to trees, rhododendron, etc - that temporarily blocks my direct sight, yet I do know where the drone is. I also lose sight on occasion when I look down at my screen to see what I'm shooting and when I look back to where I think I last saw it - it's not there - but it truly is.

Having a spotter is the ultimate situation they they can maintain VLOS, while you fly and look at whatever screen you have to view with. Having one has come in handy when I've lost the drone hiding behind of tree limb / etc and they watched it and know where it is.

With googles, you have no sight outside of the camera screen.

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada