DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV on the cheap

Hauptmann

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'd like to try FPV on the cheap to see how I like it before spending the big $$ for the "real" thing. I use my iPad 4 Mini, and alternate between Go4 and Litchi. I have an iPhone 7 to slide into the goggles.

Any recommendations?

I'd like to try FPV on the cheap to see how I like it before spending the big $$ for the "real" thing. I use my iPad 4 Mini, and alternate between Go4 and Litchi. I have an iPhone 7 to slide into the goggles.

Any recommendations?

The thing is, if you try it on the cheap, you may be disappointed and never get DJI Goggles and never experience that awesome feeling of *being* the drone.

Gotta agree with Xtreme above. The DJI goggles are over the top.

But if you want real cheap try Litchi and some cheap cardboard viewers. Anything in between, and you'd be better off just waiting until you can afford the DJIs.

They're that good, and not much more than the known name brands.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Already have Litchi. Who's cardboard viewers? What are your thoughts on the Google viewer ($99 is OK)?

Last edited:
Reactions: newguy
Already have Litchi. Who's cardboard viewers? What are your thoughts on the Google viewer ($99 is OK)?

Plenty of $10-20 headsets everywhere. $99 is far from "on the cheap".
7.gif

I use my Motorola Droid Maxx with Litchi and I have a set of Utopia 360 FPV Goggles I got at Best Buy. I have only use them twice since I got them about two weeks ago. It rained all last weekend so I wasn't able to get out. I had two issues with the Utopias. First my phone has a curved back and it makes it very problematic trying to get the universal clamp that they have to hold it in place. I can get it in there after a little manipulation, but then when you shut the cover it tends to pop back open at which point the phone will fall out on the ground which could possibly damage your controller if your cable isn't very long. Since they are cheep goggles I think I am going to take the clamp holder out, and rig up a piece of foam in there to hold it in place.

Second issue is if you wear/need glasses to use them. It has adjustments them that let you change the spread of the lenses and focus somewhat, but it doesn't get it far enough back for me so I really need my reading glasses on. The problem is the space is so tight that I can't slide them on when I have my glasses on. I have put my glasses inside the goggles and then tried to slip them on and it works somewhat, but if you need to take them off quickly then you pull your glasses right off your face when you remove the goggles. I am thinking about getting a pair of readers from the Dollar Store and just removing the lenses and putting them inside the goggles and try that. It is only a $1 so nothing lost if it doesn't work.

When the stars align perfectly though I really like playing around with them (the two times I have been able to). I know it isn't DJI Goggles or Fatsharks but it is very immersive. You do have to make sure that you get the white balance set right on your MP before you start your flight or the color is going to be off. Overall though if you want a cheap way to try it out before buying expensive goggles, go for it. I can already see though it is just going to make me want some DJI Goggles even more.

Just got an "ONNtm Virtual Reality Smartphone Headset" from WallyWorld for $5.00 (half off their regular low-low price of $9.99). It accepts my iPhone 7 with Otterbox case, and has variable optical depth and interpupillary width.

Just got an "ONNtm Virtual Reality Smartphone Headset" from WallyWorld for $5.00 (half off their regular low-low price of $9.99). It accepts my iPhone 7 with Otterbox case, and has variable optical depth and interpupillary width.

Great! Gotta get one for $5. I just need to find $5. :D

Tried my new $5 goggles! They fit over my progressive bifocals, and easily adjusted to my face and vision, though there was some light leakage on the sides. Had to turn to full brightness on my iPhone 7, but even then it seemed dark, even in bright sunlight. After removing the ND-4 filter, display was plenty bright, though I had to adjust the EV to lessen overexposure. It was fun "skimming" the surface in Sport Mode but I was chicken to go below 6' elevation, not knowing how accurate the altimeter was. The gimbal pitch, controlled by head movement, was slightly laggy, but I soon got used to it. Maybe with an iPhone 8 or X or some of the Android phones with faster chips, response would be more immediate.

Despite gusting winds, landing on a trash can lid (which I do for practice) seemed easier and more intuitive with the goggles than with my iPad 4 Mini. But when you look at an iPhone 7 from a distance of 4", you really notice how lousy the resolution is. I hope the DJI goggles have better resolution, 'cause I'm hooked!

Bought the DJ
Goggles have Full HD for each eye.

The tech inside is fascinating:

DJI Goggles Teardown: Why Are They So Big? | MyFirstDrone

It's amazing that it's only $400.

In comparison, cheap VR headsets are nothing but strong reading glasses that hold a smartphone.

Ended up buying the DJI goggles at the DJI store in San Francisco for $399. Didn't need the Racing Edition at $609, since I don't race, and seldom even fly fast. They are comfortable, and nicely balanced.

How is the experience with the Samsung VR's? I have them with an S8+, I really can't afford the DJI's at this point!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
survey-rich