DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV question

4 inch pistons

Reactions
I am a new guy here with a lot of questions---one at a time.

I am told that FPV pilots should possess a HAM amateur radio license because the unit sends out a radio signal. Anybody here have theirs or is this one of those laws like the speed limit---under 10 mph and nobody cares.

• Haha
Reactions: Gagey52
you dont need ham license for dji fpv

or any FPV.
Well, technically, you do if you plan to legally operate the VTX since it's within a ham radio range. Many dont bother with the license but you are supposed to have at least a technician license. If you dont build or buy the bind and fly drones you might not run into this.

Reactions: okw
Well, technically, you do if you plan to legally operate the VTX since it's within a ham radio range. Many dont bother with the license but you are supposed to have at least a technician license. If you dont build or buy the bind and fly drones you might not run into this.

Interesting to read up on this again.

I learned more from this site above I found than a previous curious search a few years ago, when I found most fpv systems as standard units are fine without any ham radio license requirements.

I guess the really long range cinematic type vtx systems are possibly found in over 1w (the legal requirement for such a license).

Edit, apologies, up to 25mW in most countries, so technically yes in the US to fly anything more powerful you need the basic licence.
Other countries should check for local requirements.

But in general 5.8Ghz 200mW VTX should handle 2Km-3Km range easily with a correct setup . . . from . . .

Noted this tutorial also states over 600mW is best for solo long range fpv (can’t fly near others with this power), which of course is bvlos and technically illegal in almost all countries and regions.

I could only easily find very sub 1w units online, didn’t specifically try and find 1w vtx setups though.

An interesting topic and it was good to find out more about this.

Last edited:
When I got out of Giant Scale RC Airplane about 10 years ago, the AMA was concerned about the FAA and lots of upcoming changes. When drones started to interest me, (and I have watched hours and hours of Youtube) so much of the industry has become heavily regulated. The HAM license requirement got my attention, but I have not heard much or even seen it mentioned on any of the videos. Then I discovered Rotor Riot and it is stated on their website. Then I started up Mr. Google.

All of this is still a bit of overwhelming information overload. When I left RC I could bind and fly anything---mix ten channels on a JR 8103 or Futaba. But all of this is just like starting all over again.

They talk about it (on the website) and it's covered because it is an FCC requirement just like the items that are FAA. Its not talked about (in person) much because really there is no enforcement but if you make videos and share them online there is a chance you will be asked at some point so they likely got the license and dont think about it. It's good for 10 years and you have 2 to renew if you forget there is still a chance after that so you really dont think about it a ton. My thoughts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive