DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frame rates

mavic53

Reactions
I have been experimenting with frame rates on the M2Z. Whatever setting I use 264 or 265 mov or mp4 it will not record in 120 fps. I have even tried with Litchi but to the same effect. When I examine the source file in properties all the other formats show i .e. 4k 2. 7 etc and 25 or 50 fps they all indicate correctly. When I look at properties on a 120 fps video file it returns 30* . Whilst trying it just on bench closer inspection showed that 120 fps had the indication "slow underneath". I have an Ultra SD card and it could be that the mavic has reognised it as too slow and just defaulted to 30fps. Before I go out an buy an extreme card as suggested elsewhere on this forum it would be interesting to know if anybody else has this indication. I am in the UK.speed.JPG

I have been experimenting with frame rates on the M2Z. Whatever setting I use 264 or 265 mov or mp4 it will not record in 120 fps. I have even tried with Litchi but to the same effect. When I examine the source file in properties all the other formats show i .e. 4k 2. 7 etc and 25 or 50 fps they all indicate correctly. When I look at properties on a 120 fps video file it returns 30* . Whilst trying it just on bench closer inspection showed that 120 fps had the indication "slow underneath". I have an Ultra SD card and it could be that the mavic has reognised it as too slow and just defaulted to 30fps. Before I go out an buy an extreme card as suggested elsewhere on this forum it would be interesting to know if anybody else has this indication. I am in the UK.View attachment 45639
I believe the notation 'slow' is indicating that is will be in slow motion on playback.

Reactions: Kilrah
Ah right I did have a small inkling that may be the reason but you have confirmed the possibility . Thanks I will do some more test with actual fast moving objects before buying another card.

It's normal. When you select 120fps it shoots 120fps but makes a 30fps file that's 4x longer and slower instead of a 120fps file that plays at real time speed since that's what most people want (and most software doesn't play high frame rate files correctly).

That's what the "slow" says, nothing to do with the card.

Last edited:
QED as my old school teacher might have said. Yes exactly as you said the Mavic does it all for you. If you then 4 x the clip speed in the editor it shows it in real time. At a subsequent loss of quality bit never mind.

An Ultra is too slow of an SD card for 4K. I got that 'slow' message with my ultra plus, pending getting some extremes. Slow went away with the extreme.

Sorry, I'm new to this somewhat confusing frame-rate business, but why would a file converted into 30 fps, for video shot at 120 fps, and 4 times as long reduce the quality?

It is about the exposure time on each frame. But ultimately it is a lot to do with the lens. A very expensive glass lens works better than a cheap plastic one.

It is about the exposure time on each frame. But ultimately it is a lot to do with the lens. A very expensive glass lens works better than a cheap plastic one.
Ok, thanks for that. To be honest, I'm still confused. Shot at 120fps, I can see that the reduced exposure time would reduce the amount of light entering the lens, although that's taken care of by ensuring the exposure "value" is correct (ie if there's enough light, a faster shutter speed would allow a higher fps and render the reduced exposure time of no consequence), but converting the output into a 30fps file which is 4x as long - I can't see how that impacts quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d