DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(Freewell) Anamorphic Test - MA2

Alexander Of Oz

Reactions
My first MA2 drone video, testing the (new to me) Freewell Anamorphic lens on my little MA2 yesterday, I'd love any constructive critiques or suggestions for improvement as this is all new to me. First, a little context.

It was captured in auto-exposure as an ND filter can't be applied, so shutter angles can't be controlled at all, that has created some choppiness in places, sorry. It was quite windy, so meant working in Sports mode for the most part, to combat the winds gusting up to about 50 kph.

No colour corrections or grading were applied in the video editing, just the de-squeezing. For audio, I just made basic audio track edits, with no sound effects added, using four different tracks, one with two versions, severely cutting them down to length.

Here are a few things I learnt from the experience:
  • I learnt that this lens will in reality be of little use to me due to the severely limiting amount of times that the shutter angle can be controlled adequately. I will however play with higher frame rates at standard HD to see if that opens up some more possible daytime usage.
  • I also learnt not to move so fast when capturing top down or almost top down and closer sweeping footage.
Thanks in advance for any input, suggestions, critiques, constructive criticisms you may offer! We all have to start somewhere with this. ;)

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I agree with your assessment, much too fast when shooting straight down. In fact, I'd limit straight down to moving over the ruins and then go a lot slower as some (well, me anyway) enjoy that sort of thing and wonder about the people who made that their home and then abandoned it. As an aside, there looks to be a lot of abandoned farm houses there - do you know what happened to cause that?

The forward looking shots, as speed, can be used to good effect in areas with little detail of interest, or at higher altitude. Otherwise is just becomes too much for the eyes and brain to take in well.

Beautiful country, BTW.

Reactions: Alexander Of Oz
I agree with your assessment, much too fast when shooting straight down. In fact, I'd limit straight down to moving over the ruins and then go a lot slower as some (well, me anyway) enjoy that sort of thing and wonder about the people who made that their home and then abandoned it. As an aside, there looks to be a lot of abandoned farm houses there - do you know what happened to cause that?

The forward looking shots, as speed, can be used to good effect in areas with little detail of interest, or at higher altitude. Otherwise is just becomes too much for the eyes and brain to take in well.

Beautiful country, BTW.
Thanks @bumper for the great input! I was mulling that over about how to effectively convey more detail on these places and your insight was perfectly timed, thanks. Slow top down footage, maybe getting game and flying into the odd place where it's really clear and I can maintain line of sight for dramatic detail shots and reveals too.

I document these sorts of places, normally from the ground with the landowners permission and in most cases the places are in a state of ruin as more parcels were bought up by landowners and people moved off in to the big smoke for more reliable earning potentials. They were simply not lived in and places that are not maintained deteriorate rather rapidly, unfortunately.

From time to time, the very odd old place does get restored, but usually by owner/builders who are builders by trade.

I almost forgot, these are all separate places, in five locations.

Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate that.

Anamorphic also works well for big, sweeping scenic shots. But, yes, if you pan, do it slowly. I would think your lens would work particularly well shooting huge mountains like the Alps or maybe the big Lochs and nearby mountains of Scotland. My advice is just keep experimenting. You'll now when you've shot something epic that you love. Good luck.

Reactions: Alexander Of Oz
Anamorphic also works well for big, sweeping scenic shots. But, yes, if you pan, do it slowly. I would think your lens would work particularly well shooting huge mountains like the Alps or maybe the big Lochs and nearby mountains of Scotland. My advice is just keep experimenting. You'll now when you've shot something epic that you love. Good luck.
Thanks for the input, @DaveS I really love the reminder to do this my own way, that was something I completely forgot when undertaking these initial tests with this wonderful piece of glass! Thumbswayup

Now to find some epic Scottish mountain ranges with loch's close by! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54