DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

French Polynesia Island of Mo'orea

Mavic_Pete

Reactions
Just got back from the honeymoon! Spent 5 nights in Mo'orea and 4 nights in Bora Bora. Both places were incredible! Highly recommended! Here are some raw pictures from Mo'orea. We stayed at the Hilton. I'll upload some from Bora Bora next! Photos taken with original Mavic Pro. DJI_0021.JPGDJI_0023.JPGDJI_0037.JPGDJI_0039.JPGDJI_0033.JPGDJI_0031.JPGDJI_0006.JPGDJI_0027.JPGDJI_0029.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0006.JPG
    DJI_0006.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Fantastic photos, and stunning location. Can I ask what a trip like this for 2 costs? If you'd rather not advertise then you can message me. The soon-to-be-wife and I love to travel but have never visited a location this EPIC before. Really, REALLY fanstastic.

Fantastic photos, and stunning location. Can I ask what a trip like this for 2 costs? If you'd rather not advertise then you can message me. The soon-to-be-wife and I love to travel but have never visited a location this EPIC before. Really, REALLY fanstastic.

Thank you! We used a travel agent to plan our trip. In total it was a little over $8500. We left from PHX-LAX then LAX-Tahiti This included our excursions too which were a 6 hour snorkeling trip, 2 hour jet ski tour, and 4 hour 4wd tour. If it fits your budget I'd highly recommend it! We stayed at the Hilton in Moorea and the Intercontinental Le Moana in Bora Bora. Best decision we made on the way was stopping at duty free in LAX. (2) 1 liter bottles of Crown and (2) Absolute for $78 total. Each drink on the islands was $15-20 and bottles were $70+. We saved a lot of money by doing this.

Thank you! We used a travel agent to plan our trip. In total it was a little over $8500. We left from PHX-LAX then LAX-Tahiti This included our excursions too which were a 6 hour snorkeling trip, 2 hour jet ski tour, and 4 hour 4wd tour. If it fits your budget I'd highly recommend it! We stayed at the Hilton in Moorea and the Intercontinental Le Moana in Bora Bora. Best decision we made on the way was stopping at duty free in LAX. (2) 1 liter bottles of Crown and (2) Absolute for $78 total. Each drink on the islands was $15-20 and bottles were $70+. We saved a lot of money by doing this.
Really smart buying Duty Free. Every trip we take I end up buying a bottle to drink through the week and you're saving $100s in bar tabs. Thanks for the info about cost and excursions. Looks like an amazing trip.

Really smart buying Duty Free. Every trip we take I end up buying a bottle to drink through the week and you're saving $100s in bar tabs. Thanks for the info about cost and excursions. Looks like an amazing trip.

No problem! It was amazing! Let me know if you make it out there sometime. Thanks

Curious what meals ran you during your stay. I’m planning a trip to the Maldives next spring for just my wife and I though we’ve traveled extensively throughout the world with our children. That part of the world is typically very cheap but I worry with places like these that they take advantage because they know you’re captive. Also, at that price you quoted I assume you guys didn’t have over water accommodations? Could you share what travel agency you used as well? I’ve tried travel agents in the past and never found them effective or cost effective. I’d love to give them another shot.

Curious what meals ran you during your stay. I’m planning a trip to the Maldives next spring for just my wife and I though we’ve traveled extensively throughout the world with our children. That part of the world is typically very cheap but I worry with places like these that they take advantage because they know you’re captive. Also, at that price you quoted I assume you guys didn’t have over water accommodations? Could you share what travel agency you used as well? I’ve tried travel agents in the past and never found them effective or cost effective. I’d love to give them another shot.

Breakfast was included at both resorts. And the breakfast buffet was actually huge with lots of choices to keep you full. We would have a small lunch because of the large breakfast (usually some small plates or share a pizza or sandwhich) and dinner would run anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on the place. We went on a few nice dinners (Bloody Mary's in Bora Bora which is famous, polynesian BBQ buffet with dance show, moorea yacht club, etc.) The Hilton had 1 nicer restaurant and one on the beach restaurant that served salads, burgers, pizza, pasta etc and the food was actually great there and our meal would only run about $50 total. Definitely want to go to a local grocery store for water soda etc as each water bottle at the hotel was almost $6. In total we probably spent an additional $1500 on meals for 10 days.

At the Hilton we stayed on the beach in our own hut with a private pool 5 nights. In Bora Bora we stayed in the over water bungalows. Hiltons bungalows weren't much more but they were booked up so unfortunately couldnt get one there but our beach bungalow with pool was actually awesome. Hilton is the only 5 star resort in the island.

Travel agent we used was local here in AZ. They were great and everything went exactly as planned. It was also nice to have the 3 excursions booked and paid for before our trip.

AZ Trails Travel
+1-480-837-4284

We are doing Moorea 5 days and Bora Bora 5 days in May, bringing my MP and MP2. Any issues with authorities, public, etc?

I usually like to find secluded and elevated spots to take off and land from. Any spots or places you can recommend?

We are doing Moorea 5 days and Bora Bora 5 days in May, bringing my MP and MP2. Any issues with authorities, public, etc?

I usually like to find secluded and elevated spots to take off and land from. Any spots or places you can recommend?

Sorry for the late reply. Just saw this.

Absolutely no issues with authorities, while traveling, or public but resorts had some restrictions. The drone bag was the only thing that never got searched in the airports. I had it in the DJI travel bag with batteries separate in lipo safe bags, all ports covered. As far as the resorts go I was told by an employee I was not allowed to fly at the Hilton in Moorea from the bungalows. Take off had to be from the tennis court. And our resort in Bora Bora had these signs posted all over the resort (see below) so I had to go off grounds to fly. There are great places to takeoff from all around the island so it was not a big deal at all.

If you like to take off from high spots id recommend doing a 4wd, ATV tour, or rent a scooter for the day and explore yourself. Its one road around the island so you cant get lost. We went up a few mountains in Moorea, pineapple fields, distillery and there was some great chances to fly but i just brought the gopro on the tours so i missed out. Here are a few pics (from the go pro). Have fun!!!

thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: conchman
Thank you Pete! Amazing photos! Might you also share some video?

We stayed at your Hilton Moorea back in 2007 when it was still the Sheraton Moorea. It was my wife's 40th so we splurged on an end-most over-water bungalow. Such wonderful memories! And so glad in your photos to see it is all as we remember it! Hope you don't mind I took the liberty of using your photo to show my wife and enjoy a little memory lane! ;)

Our timing was bad in only one respect. The French Polynesian franc was then hard-pinned to the Euro (I assume it still is). And 2007 was close to the all-time low of the US Dollar against the Euro...and therefore against the French Polynesian franc. But it was absolutely worth it in all respects. Of course I'd never heard of a drone then, but if we are lucky enough to return one day we'll bring my Mavic Air!

Cheers!

DJI_0037.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: conchman

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes