DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Front leg collapsed mid air, nearly cut off by back leg

alibaba30

Reactions
Last night as I was flying my brand new Mavic 2 Pro for the second time, this thing happened. I extended the legs on the drone, set it down and made sure everything was alright. I powered it up and let it hover over the take off spot for about 10 seconds before I moved it sideways and got it into position. Right after I maneuvered it, it started making a terrible sound and I looked up to see that the front left leg had collapsed backwards and is was being cut into by the left back leg. I quickly grabbed the drone and manage to shut it off after a couple of seconds. As you can see from the photos, it got slashed pretty deep. I let it cool down for about 15 minutes before I powered it on to see if there had been any damages to the hardware. My Smartcontroller is not giving me any warning or notifications about any errors. The crash detectors and everything seem fine.

I'm an experienced pilot, who has flown the Mavic 1 for about a year and a half. I recently upgraded to the Mavic 2. I would never have taken off if the legs were not fully extended. And as you can probably tell if you try to position the leg in a half-extended position, is that it will snap either forward or backwards, making it nearly impossible to have it half extended before take off. So the only reasonable explanation is that the leg was thrusted backwards by the drone's movement in air, which makes me wonder if I've received a unit with a weak hinge. Can anyone advice me on wether I should continue flying and whats inside the leg? Is there anything important inside the leg, or is it just a piece of plastic keeping the drone up? I'm currently on holiday and won't be able to return it for repairs for another week and a half.

there is normally an antenna in the front legs that receive and send the signals from the controller you might be lucky and find that when you remove the leg that the wire is still intact if that is the case then a new leg will fix the problem,try and compare the feeling between the two front legs when they are extended to see if they feel the same,i have never seen one fold up unless it had hit something in flight still i guess theres always a first

Reactions: RBojarski
Last night as I was flying my brand new Mavic 2 Pro for the second time, this thing happened. I extended the legs on the drone, set it down and made sure everything was alright. I powered it up and let it hover over the take off spot for about 10 seconds before I moved it sideways and got it into position. Right after I maneuvered it, it started making a terrible sound and I looked up to see that the front left leg had collapsed backwards and is was being cut into by the left back leg. I quickly grabbed the drone and manage to shut it off after a couple of seconds. As you can see from the photos, it got slashed pretty deep. I let it cool down for about 15 minutes before I powered it on to see if there had been any damages to the hardware. My Smartcontroller is not giving me any warning or notifications about any errors. The crash detectors and everything seem fine.

I'm an experienced pilot, who has flown the Mavic 1 for about a year and a half. I recently upgraded to the Mavic 2. I would never have taken off if the legs were not fully extended. And as you can probably tell if you try to position the leg in a half-extended position, is that it will snap either forward or backwards, making it nearly impossible to have it half extended before take off. So the only reasonable explanation is that the leg was thrusted backwards by the drone's movement in air, which makes me wonder if I've received a unit with a weak hinge. Can anyone advice me on wether I should continue flying and whats inside the leg? Is there anything important inside the leg, or is it just a piece of plastic keeping the drone up? I'm currently on holiday and won't be able to return it for repairs for another week and a half.

View attachment 76594View attachment 76595
I would send it back. If it were me the mere thought that this could happen would mean I would never be able to relax and enjoy flying again. A huge part of being a drone pilot, as I’m sure you know, is trusting the machine and after that I probably wouldn’t be able to.

I found a method on YouTube on how to change the foot without desoldiering. It took me 45 minutes because I took my time. Keep in mind, the were no issues with the antenna or wire. Patience and a Exacto blade and steady hand was used to achieve it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_083838.jpg
    IMG_20190630_083838.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 208
I’d check if the Arm Pivot is defective- that makes the arm snap and stay in position . If you just bought it, return it as defective. Otherwise the pivot is easy to replace.

Option one:
You can use a plastic epoxy and glue the arm always extended and also fix the deep cut in the foot. After the epoxy has cured for a day or whatever the directions say, you will be able to sand and paint to match the Mavic.

Option 2:
Buy a new arm on eBay for for $42.29 shipped and install yourself. There are instructions and how to videos to do the replacement. It's pretty easy to do. Here is one of many for sale on eBay from a trusted seller.
I had to replace a arm on mine from hitting a iron gate from racing.

Option 3: Send it to DJi or another repair facility and pay to much for them to do it.
Good Luck!

I would want Dji to look at it and repair because if you had it extended out correctly, which like you said the arm is either out or in and not in between, I would want a new unit or whatever is weak on that hinge replaced by Dji.

If your quad is new, you can send it back. Thunderdrones is another great option. Nothing but praise for his work. ?

Reactions: Radpuppy
It’s unfortunate that it had to happen while on holiday. If you continue flying, it could be dangerous to not only the the drone but anybody around you. There is obviously something wrong with the drone, I would not fly again until someone from DJI or a reputable repair center has taken a look at it. I know that is a bummer but better safe than sorry.

Before trying DIY repair, I would contact DJI and tell them your story. Most likely get it fixed free of charge. The only downside is that you will be without your drone for about a month, but at least you can know the repair is right and warrantied.

Do a temporary repair with Duck tape. Then address the issue of replacement/repair when you return home.

If you are not able to return it right away due to being on vacation I would contact DJI and make a record of you filing your complaint as close to the time as the incident just for your and their record. Good luck

Reactions: Lbesing
duct tape is boring. DUCK TAPE rocks
View attachment 76672
Guess what your Right, Duck tape does Rock..... I needed some today for a project I'm doing and I yelled over to my son " Justin, go to the shed and get the Duct tape, Justin yells back " I only see Duck tape do you want instead" I yelled back, yeah...Duck tape......

Seems like ether you took a hard landing did it just break for no reason it don't seem like the speed of the drone in the air flying would break it or snap it like that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots