DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FStop.Labs ND filter sets observations and opinion.

parkgt

Reactions
Received two set of filters that I purchased through Amazon with the 10% discount; making these a very good bargain. I purchased both the 4-8-16 ND and PL six pack and the ND32 and 64 sets.

In my opinion ND Filters are a must with the Mavic 2 Pro if you care about filming anywhere close to the "180 degree shutter rule." Basically you are trying to keep the shutter speed about double your fps -frames per second.

In typical 4k this would be 4k 30fps with a shutter speed of 60.

Here are screen shots showing what the ND16 is capable of in bright sun.

Notice with the stock lens how high the shutter speed needs to be to get proper exposure.

Stock lens:
Stock Filter Video.jpg

Here the ND16 allows 60 fps without going over F8 where the sharpness falls of badly.
ND16:
ND16 Video.jpg

With the ND 32 on the lens can be opened further down to f4.5 from f7.1ND32 Video.jpg

The other evening I flew about an hour before sunset until slightly after. The ND16 is probably the go to lens for many situations, allowing 4K 24fps to be shot at a shutter speed of 50 with a aperture of f4.0 to f5.6 unless the subject was very light. Very bright high noon shots my need the ND32 unless one is willing to run the shutter speed up a little to keep the ND16 in place. 30fps/60ss was no problem either. The ND8 may be most useful on very overcast days.

After sundown and before dark the ND4 was used with no issue. I even forgot it was on when I shot some Friday Night Lights this evening; but off was certainly better in the dark.

The ND32 will probably be useful in the desert, over sand or snow and with very bright subjects, ie white buildings. If one wants to shoot closer to f2.8 then the ND32 may be the first choice, but it will have come off sooner as the light fades.

I didn't get a chance to try it but I hope the 64 will allow 1/4 second shutter speeds for daylight hyperlapses without having to go up to or above F8; otherwise on to the ND128.

The fit and finish of the FStop.Labs filters was excellent. I had no problem getting the gimbal lock on with any of them in place.

They were fractional heavier than stock at just over 2g and the glass was the same thickness. The gimbal should have no problems with these lens.

If you wonder about whether you need a set of NDs for filming the answer in my opinion is yes. Get a set, I don't think you will regret it.

I have some more testing to do and will update as I get them done.

Yup I too ordered the 4/8/16ND and the rotatable CPL and also the graduated for when I do photos. I also ordered the ND1000 for photos also

Update:

Had a chance to try the ND64 to see if 1/4 second shutter speed Hyperlapes were possible with out pushing to or past f8. The answer today over a green suburban setting in bright sun is yes. I was typically down around f4, so there is some latitude available.

Your mileage may vary with background and subjects. It might still be nice to have a ND128 if daylight Hyperlapses with some blur are going to be something you do often.

Once again the ND16 seemed to be a good all purpose ND to have on most of the day.

Hmm...well My main goal is to stay away from f11 and not have to change filters any more than necessary! I bought this drone to replace my MP partially for the VA. If I'm still stuck changing filters every flight, not good.

Right now for m
Hmm...well My main goal is to stay away from f11 and not have to change filters any more than necessary! I bought this drone to replace my MP partially for the VA. If I'm still stuck changing filters every flight, not good.

For my typical flying it looks like 4 filters required for 98% of what I do.

Clear - at night

ND4 - before sunup or after sun down. Or may leave Clear on, if already on until it is light enough for the ND16.

ND16 - workhorse daylight filter.

ND 64 - Bright daylight Hyperlapes to get 1/4s shutter (maybe ND32 if very overcast or early or late light)

Right now for m

For my typical flying it looks like 4 filters required for 98% of what I do.

Clear - at night

ND4 - before sunup or after sun down. Or may leave Clear on, if already on until it is light enough for the ND16.

ND16 - workhorse daylight filter.

ND 64 - Bright daylight Hyperlapes to get 1/4s shutter (maybe ND32 if very overcast or early or late light)

So basically what I did with the Mavic Pro... Oh oh the shine is starting to fall off and tarnish. I've been a firm defender of the platform but my Crystalsky, missing features, H265 editing, having to buy things all over again... It's starting to pile up.

So basically what I did with the Mavic Pro... Oh oh the shine is starting to fall off and tarnish. I've been a firm defender of the platform but my Crystalsky, missing features, H265 editing, having to buy things all over again... It's starting to pile up.

I knew what I was getting and getting into when I ordered so few surprises for me.

The NDs should have been expected.

You don't have to use H265; but any high end video camera requires moving up to get 10bit, not unique to M2.

I feel like much of the rest will get sorted out. Not soon enough for us and probably not everything everyone hopes for.

I am more than pleased with what I have now and will be even more so later.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I knew what I was getting and getting into when I ordered so few surprises for me.

The NDs should have been expected.

You don't have to use H265; but any high end video camera requires moving up to get 10bit, not unique to M2.

I feel like much of the rest will get sorted out. Not soon enough for us and probably not everything everyone hopes for.

I am more than pleased with what I have now and will be even more so later.

Hmmm... NDs not a "surprise" but the variable aperture was touted as basically eliminating the "need" for them. I agree that they may not be absolutely necessary but if you want decent shots, F11 isn't cutting it. I was honestly hoping that one would take care of it.

Again no support for Crystalsky as in a mount or an app update bugs me a little but at least cyberpower hooked the app up.

H265 is another story. Unless you are a professional photographer or really into photography, you've never heard of it. The loss of d cinelike is slowly destroying my soul...

Okay not that bad but spending hours editing instead of minutes is irritating.

I'm just venting a little...

Youve got f/2.8 to f/5.6 to play with for optimum quality and no massive loss to f/8. So 2-3 stops on the VA.

So ultimately, something like a 4 stop ND will likely to for most of your flying so changing is going to be needed substantially less than with previous models.

Hmmm... NDs not a "surprise" but the variable aperture was touted as basically eliminating the "need" for them. I agree that they may not be absolutely necessary but if you want decent shots, F11 isn't cutting it. I was honestly hoping that one would take care of it.

It was never touted as such. Nobody who understands these things thought that or claimed that.

H265 is another story. Unless you are a professional photographer or really into photography, you've never heard of it.

Most people with drones have never heard of h264 either. They just call it "video".

The loss of d cinelike is slowly destroying my soul...

...and the "none" profile looks very similar and requires very little editing.

Received two set of filters that I purchased through Amazon with the 10% discount; making these a very good bargain. I purchased both the 4-8-16 ND and PL six pack and the ND32 and 64 sets.

Thanks for the analysis. Do you think the ND16/CPL will suffice for bright beach days? ie will I be able to achieve 1/60 at apertures below f8?

Thanks for the analysis. Do you think the ND16/CPL will suffice for bright beach days? ie will I be able to achieve 1/60 at apertures below f8?

I am inland with no white sand beaches so I cannot say with certainty. From what I observed I would think so, but it might take a ND32. Maybe someone with on the coast can chime in.

I am inland with no white sand beaches so I cannot say with certainty. From what I observed I would think so, but it might take a ND32. Maybe someone with on the coast can chime in.

I used a ND16 this weekend in those conditions and was at F5.6-6 at noonish.

Just FYI looking at your screen shots at F7.1 - anything over F4 is sub optimal and your image is being degraded by diffraction on that particular sensor. Just something to keep in mind if you are after maximum image quality :)

Received my F-Stop Labs filters this weekend. One six pack of 4, 8,16 (Both ND and ND/PLs) and one 4 pack 32, 64 (Both ND and ND/PLs). I am impressed with the quality.

Good pricing with the extra 10% code on Amazon. Now I need to find the time to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka