DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Full HD vs 4K

4k every day all day. Screens are bigger, processors faster, storage cheaper why would you bother with 1080p in 2020? DJI has given us a gift with 60fps 4k now too, use proxies if you cant edit the 4k files.

What vertical resolution is supported by your 13” and 32” laptop and computer monitor screens?? You might be lucky and have 1080 on the laptop. How is 4K going to look better in that scenario? It might even appear worse than 1080 after interpolation and throwing away 3/4 of the encoded pixels.
Really - "you might be lucky and have 1080 on the laptop". Here are the specs of my laptop:

Dell XPS 13 9380 Specs

• 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8565U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz, 4 cores)
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 620
  • 13.3″ 4K Ultra HD (3840×2160) InfinityEdge Touch Display
  • 16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz
  • 2 TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
  • 2 Thunderbolt™ 3 with power delivery and DisplayPort (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3)
  • 1 USB-C 3.1 with power delivery and DisplayPort
  • 1 Headset jack
Here are the specs of my monitor: 2020-10-03 13_56_58-31.5_ LG 32UD99 - Specifications and 7 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ ...jpg

Reactions: TreeHugger
Really - "you might be lucky and have 1080 on the laptop". Here are the specs of my laptop:

Dell XPS 13 9380 Specs

• 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8565U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz, 4 cores)
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 620
  • 13.3″ 4K Ultra HD (3840×2160) InfinityEdge Touch Display
  • 16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz
  • 2 TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
  • 2 Thunderbolt™ 3 with power delivery and DisplayPort (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3)
  • 1 USB-C 3.1 with power delivery and DisplayPort
  • 1 Headset jack
Here are the specs of my monitor: View attachment 114355
Alright well 4K isn’t a luxury that might prove wasted in your case- obviously. It seems you are in a small number who have that level of performance in a laptop.

That 13” screen must be like looking at a printed page up close. I do a lot of CAD work and even 5k over 4K (on my 27” displays) is a very noticeable improvement in quality, I can’t imagine how sharp your 13” display must look.

Alright well 4K isn’t a luxury that might prove wasted in your case- obviously. It seems you are in a small number who have that level of performance in a laptop.

That 13” screen must be like looking at a printed page up close. I do a lot of CAD work and even 5k over 4K (on my 27” displays) is a very noticeable improvement in quality, I can’t imagine how sharp your 13” display must look.
Ya, I really love it. It's probably not necessary, but it's a nice luxury! On top of that, it is also a touch screen.

The problem with very high resolution on PCs using small screens is that the OS doesn't scale the objects accordingly.

So you get more on the screen since there's more pixels, but it's all so tiny!
Even when you change the DPI setting so you can see everything, it doesn't look natural and some applications can't handle it.

A very interesting debate with many different points of view :) ?

Now to something completely different, someone using something other than h.265 in the settings. Is there any reason to use h.264 anymore?

Now to something completely different, someone using something other than h.265 in the settings. Is there any reason to use h.264 anymore?
Yes. Some editing applications and some computers have a tough time working with it because to get the higher compression, the playback device must do more work.

Reactions: Thomas B

If you can’t see the difference in your viewing device. Save the processor power or need to upgrade the computer.

In a nutshell, shooting in 4K and delivering in 1080p looks better than shooting in 1080p and delivering in 1080p. Plus there's the editing advantage of the 4K palate. If I'm doing the processing, unless specifically requested, I deliver in 1080p.

D

I have a 4K tv but if I'm honest, I'd struggle to tell the difference between 4K and 1080p when watching movies and so on- part of that is probably that streamed stuff like Netflix isn't stunning quality anyway, perhaps I'd notice the difference on a 4K bluray or something...
But I still tend to shoot 4K with the drone for reasons others have mentioned; stabilization and cropping are easier, and downsampling to 1080p when rendering is likely to reduce noise. The editing downside isn't really an issue if you are willing to lose a bit of time (and storage) up-front for making cache files ("optimized media" in Resolve, for example)

If you can’t see the difference in your viewing device. Save the processor power or need to upgrade the computer.
Unless you never share, it's really about other people's viewing devices now and in the future.

I have a 4K tv but if I'm honest, I'd struggle to tell the difference between 4K and 1080p when watching movies and so on- part of that is probably that streamed stuff like Netflix isn't stunning quality anyway, perhaps I'd notice the difference on a 4K bluray or something...
But I still tend to shoot 4K with the drone for reasons others have mentioned; stabilization and cropping are easier, and downsampling to 1080p when rendering is likely to reduce noise. The editing downside isn't really an issue if you are willing to lose a bit of time (and storage) up-front for making cache files ("optimized media" in Resolve, for example)

Watch Genimi Man in 4k 60 fps. Not the Netflix streamed version (they negotiate the resolution in real time), buy a disk or torrent it and watch from a usb flash drive. You won't ever say 4k doesn't make a difference again. I've got the new Jaws (1977) which was just released as 4k and if you were watching it on my TV you'd swear it was just filmed yesterday, so unbelievably clear. I also had the 1080 version - nowhere as nice as the new one, though there could be other factors there.

I've got an 86" 4k TV and 4k on it is pretty phenomenal. Most of the content is streamed from my own media server in my house, so I get raw video as it was created by the studio. And that's just the same with my M2P video. Pretty awesome.

This is a classic example of sour grapes and I see it so much here. Those without the equipment needed to appreciate 4K claim it is (in this case) overrated. 4K and higher are awesome.

Yep. It's a very shortsighted person who doesn't appreciate the rapid advances in video over the last decade, and doesn't anticipate similar advances in the future. For example, h.266 for much better compression for streaming, and "tile" TVs for filling a wall with video are two examples of large changes right around the next bend.

So, as much as possible, record in the highest quality video available. You can't go back later and improve the resolution. Find a way to store it. Find a way to edit it. I understand both of those things cost money and few of us has unlimited funds.

Unless you never share, it's really about other people's viewing devices now and in the future.
True... I was thinking a bit idiosyncratically about my 80” 4K TV.....
Most of my vids (95%+) and pics are never made public.

I'd suggest sticking with h.264. I have seen demonstrations of quality improvements with h.265, but it's pretty minor in my opinion. These are lossy compression schemes, not video resolutions.

Unless you've got a killer system, editing h.264 is going to be far smoother than editing h.265. You can always output h.265 when you're done with the editing, if you want the smaller file size for easier online streaming.

I have a Note 20 Ultra
4k HDR TV
MA2
And a Dell XPS 17 to cut up 4K vids.
Its 4K all day everyday here. PS I know all this was outdated by the time they hit my credit card. Lol ?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honzax