DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Funky colors showing up in Mavic photos

Liveddica

Reactions
Hey everyone,

Not sure if you've seen anything like this before, but the images I took today have these funky Xmas light looking colors in them. Never seen them before, I did add a Polar Pro Cinema Shutter Series ND32 to test it out, never had this issue before today and the settings all have remained the same as other flights....except for the shutter speed obvious (ISO 200 1/30 2.7k 24fps D-Cinelike)

Only thing I could say is that I had a tough time getting the ND filter to sit properly because the gimbal got stuck a few time while initializing before I took off. I turn the drone off and tried again to re-seat the ND filter a few more times until the gimbal finally initialized fine.

Other than all the above nothing else has changed....The firmware is the latest (including RC and batteries) Temp was around 39°F and there were winds of up to 9- 11MPH

I've included the properties of the .DNG photo files, if that helps ....Let me know what additional info you would need.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Properties 1.jpg
    Properties 1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Properties 2.jpg
    Properties 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 36
I'm assuming these dots are what you're referring toScreen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.04.57 PM.png

I had a similar issue shooting low light Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.07.25 PM.png

The mavic is not well suited for low light imaging due to its small sensor - I'd suggest bumping down to an nd16 and lowering your iso to 100. Could you post some images of that?

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.10.01 PM.png
On the other hand... this could be an issue for DJI to take care of =0

I'm assuming these dots are what you're referring toView attachment 5591

I had a similar issue shooting low light View attachment 5592

The mavic is not well suited for low light imaging due to its small sensor - I'd suggest bumping down to an nd16 and lowering your iso to 100. Could you post some images of that?

Hey Jack..thanks for responding.....I was thinking the same about low light....but it was early afternoon and the sun was high in the sky..do you think its a low light issue? Also if that were the case, there are other dark areas in the photo that don't have these color dots on them. Yes, I will try taking photos now without and with ND 16, to see if that is the case...BTW the video from the same time I took the photos aren't showing any signs of those color dots at all, only the photos.

I'll return with results

Thanks!

Hey Jack..thanks for responding.....I was thinking the same about low light....but it was early afternoon and the sun was high in the sky..do you think its a low light issue? Also if that were the case, there are other dark areas in the photo that don't have these color dots on them. Yes, I will try taking photos now without and with ND 16, to see if that is the case...BTW the video from the same time I took the photos aren't showing any signs of those color dots at all, only the photos.

I'll return with results

Thanks!
Sounds like a plan! (Would you be able to capture the new pictures in DNG? I am curious if it has something to do with dji's jpeg compression)

Sounds like a plan! (Would you be able to capture the new pictures in DNG? I am curious if it has something to do with dji's jpeg compression)
I always shoot in RAW (DNG) so that's not even an issue.

Ok so I noticed something....I kept everything the same just to see if this was a fluke situation. Everything is still the same as I stated in my first post. I noticed in Photo mode that HDR was turned on ( I think I may have tried messing with it earlier to see what it can do) I proceeded to shoot a few photos in HDR...then took it out of HDR into Single shot and even tried EAB shot as well. Those color dots ONLY show up in the HDR photos. Do you think that the HDR mode is screwy?...I never see myself using it..and never have in my regular photography business either (I just take bracketed shots and combine in Photoshop) ...but I was just curious to see what it would produce.

Any thoughts?

Perfect - upload those next time =)

I remember researching this issue for my dslr =(
Does the term 'hot pixel' ring a bell? Hot Pixels

Yes...I know hot pixel dead pixel stuck pixel all too well...I've seen enough of that nonsense in my past DSLRs lol

Ok so I noticed something....I kept everything the same just to see if this was a fluke situation. Everything is still the same as I stated in my first post. I noticed in Photo mode that HDR was turned on ( I think I may have tried messing with it earlier to see what it can do) I proceeded to shoot a few photos in HDR...then took it out of HDR into Single shot and even tried EAB shot as well. Those color dots ONLY show up in the HDR photos. Do you think that the HDR mode is screwy?...I never see myself using it..and never have in my regular photography business either (I just take bracketed shots and combine in Photoshop) ...but I was just curious to see what it would produce.

Any thoughts?
Interesting... could you send samples?

DIY Eliminate Hot Pixels on Nikon D7000 (and similar camera bodies)
Have you ever tried something like this?

Not sure if it's a hot pixel issue or an hdr issue haha (sounds like glitchy software thankfully! :))

Yep, I've tried that....Thankfully I've only had two camera bodies that had hot or stuck pixels all grouped next to each other and replaced them under warranty. But as far as this Mavic, I'm now wondering if this actually is glitchy software like you mention, funny thing though I haven't read any other posts of people complaining about it on here....maybe I just haven't seen them.....or no one uses HDR mode lol!

Thanks man!

Here is another sample of the image I just recently took in HDR and then in just Single shot

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 4.25.09 PM.png
Knowing this is an hdr issue I feel comfortable teasing... it' kind of comical how bad it is:eek:! - hopefully dji will fix this with the next firmware update

Exposure brackets work as they should.. right?

Hey everyone,

Not sure if you've seen anything like this before, but the images I took today have these funky Xmas light looking colors in them. Never seen them before, I did add a Polar Pro Cinema Shutter Series ND32 to test it out, never had this issue before today and the settings all have remained the same as other flights....except for the shutter speed obvious (ISO 200 1/30 2.7k 24fps D-Cinelike)

Only thing I could say is that I had a tough time getting the ND filter to sit properly because the gimbal got stuck a few time while initializing before I took off. I turn the drone off and tried again to re-seat the ND filter a few more times until the gimbal finally initialized fine.

Other than all the above nothing else has changed....The firmware is the latest (including RC and batteries) Temp was around 39°F and there were winds of up to 9- 11MPH

I've included the properties of the .DNG photo files, if that helps ....Let me know what additional info you would need.

Thanks for your help!

Can you post the RAW files here? (Or a dropbox link if the size is a problem).

Isn't it better to use no NDs for photos?

View attachment 5603
Knowing this is an hdr issue I feel comfortable teasing... it' kind of comical how bad it is:eek:! - hopefully dji will fix this with the next firmware update

Exposure brackets work as they should.. right?

It really is comical...just glad I didn't screw anything up when I seated and removed the ND filter multiple times....that was my main concern. I could live without the HDR setting.....Yes the Exposure Bracketing seems to be ok...nothing weird with those photos...tried both 3 shots and 5 shots...no issues to report on that at the moment...I'll have to bring them into light room and see how they look combined.

The issue seems to be hdr processing - here is a photo taken without the hdr filter http://mavicpilots.com/attachments/dji_0033-jpg.5601/ (no hotspots)

Yeah, sorry, I missed that in my rush to ask the question (grin).

It would be great of the Mavic would just take a 3-5 shot bracket as quickly as it could and let you do the HDR in post-process. I don't expect great HDR from my iPhone nor would I expect the Mavic to handle it as well as a Mac/PC running HDR software.

That said, "Christmas Lights" caused by HDR is just horribly bad software!

Yeah, sorry, I missed that in my rush to ask the question (grin).

It would be great of the Mavic would just take a 3-5 shot bracket as quickly as it could and let you do the HDR in post-process. I don't expect great HDR from my iPhone nor would I expect the Mavic to handle it as well as a Mac/PC running HDR software.

That said, "Christmas Lights" caused by HDR is just horribly bad software!
You can do that! =)
Photo bracketing (for HDR photos) - where is the setting in Pilot App?
Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 4.50.41 PM.png

Reactions: ATXdrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections