DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Future fly mode?

Alastair

Reactions
Wouldn’t it be cool if we could trace a path on the map that our Mavic would then follow? With all the other amazing stuff this thing will do, it doesn’t seem that far fetched.

Yes... in Litchi at least, you can literally draw a path with the pencil tool, and it will automatically create the necessary waypoints to fly it.

Oops. Didn’t know that.
I’m pretty new to this. I had never heard of Litchi. Guess I’ll look into it! Thanks

Um.....Drone Harmony, Litchi, or a myriad of others?

LP

OK... just looked up Litchi. Very cool. I haven’t investigated Drone Harmony or the “myriad of others” yet. But what’s the general consensus? Do most of you use Litchi or other apps because of the additional options? This idea is totally new to me.

Autopilot and litchi seem to be the favorites, I purchased litchi because it has a shallower learning curve from what I read, I must say it works great too, very happy with it. I have only done a few automated flights but it did just what I programmed and even points the camera where you set up points of interest along your course. Great functional app for 25$. I may try autopilot at some point too but still learning the go 4 and litchi apps.

Reactions: Wersh
I really like Drone Harmony. Very intuitive and you can map out objects in 3D, plan the flights, pics and camera angles offline, save them, then just recall them once you are ready to fly. I haven't used Litchi yet for automated flights other than for panos - which it does quite nicely.

As for others, there's Autopilot, DJI GS Pro, and a few others I've seen but never tried.

LP

Wouldn’t it be cool if we could trace a path on the map that our Mavic would then follow? With all the other amazing stuff this thing will do, it doesn’t seem that far fetched.

I've used AirNest for a couple of years for this one single task.

Now several others have this and Litchi is especially powerful using your finger to draw your path. If you haven't tried it out you should TONIGHT!

Reactions: Alastair
Hey dji are you listening?! :)

DJI has a lot of similar functions as Litchi "now" but there was a time when they didn't. The DJI Go Ap has come a long ways and the DJI GS Pro is really a feature rich tool for us.

I like Litchi because I can do about 90% of my flight planning at night on my laptop. Then when I show up on the job I call up the mission, tweak/verify it and LAUNCH it. It's also great being able to fly the exact same path over and over again week after week for progression work.

I really like Drone Harmony.

LP

Is DRone Harmony Android only? I like Litchi, although I crashed during a mission today. My fault completely on where I was trying to navigate. I like the stuff I read about Drone Harmony, but can’t find an iOS version for iPhones.

The problem with 3rd party apps is that if you have a failure like a fly away, motor / esc failure, GPS loss which causes you to crash dji have refused to repair under warranty due to using a 3rd party app

I'm only going by what I've read on this forum but I've seen it a couple of times

Is DRone Harmony Android only? I like Litchi, although I crashed during a mission today. My fault completely on where I was trying to navigate. I like the stuff I read about Drone Harmony, but can’t find an iOS version for iPhones.

Yes..Android only right now.

LP

The problem with 3rd party apps is that if you have a failure like a fly away, motor / esc failure, GPS loss which causes you to crash dji have refused to repair under warranty due to using a 3rd party app

I'm only going by what I've read on this forum but I've seen it a couple of times
That might have been the case at one time but it's been well documented lately that unless the 3rd party app caused the crash, utilizing a 3rd party ap does not automatically mandate warranty refusal.

Keep in mind that most 3rd part aps don't create the same detail of Flight Logs as the DJI Go app does. If you do have a fly away or some issue and the log doesn't contain enough information, or the correct information to say for sure what caused the flight then DJI could refuse warranty.

Hi Alastair,

May I point out to you our record flight and the re-fly it smoothly feature which I almost exclusively used to make videos recently on my honeymoon in Hawaii. It works as follows:

1. Start the record manual flight mode in the flight plan catalog.
2. Fly manually the drone to different locations where you have a really nice view of your scenery. At each location take a picture. Be aware that the sequence you do this in, will be the sequence the drone will fly afterwards again automatically to record the video.
3. Once you have all shots you want to stop the recording (bottom right stop button).
4. Now click on the recorded flight (which appears on the top icon bar after you stopped the recording).
5. Tap the magic wand tool on the left in order to convert your recorded flight into a new mission. You have three options to do this ( I almost always use smooth Plan using Photos).
6. The (smoothend) mission appears on the right and you are now ready to re-fly this computed mission automatically and record a smooth video (play button at bottom right).

You can also watch one of the following videos to get a better understanding on how the process works:

Let me know what you think about it.

Best regards,
Martin, CEO

Reactions: Alastair
OK... just looked up Litchi. Very cool. I haven’t investigated Drone Harmony or the “myriad of others” yet. But what’s the general consensus? Do most of you use Litchi or other apps because of the additional options? This idea is totally new to me.

Litchi works very well.

I use it occasionally. But generally prefer to just fly the drone.

If you are flying a route where you may lose signal / control Litchi completes the route and comes home which is pretty cool

Hi Alastair,

May I point out to you our record flight and the re-fly it smoothly feature which I almost exclusively used to make videos recently on my honeymoon in Hawaii. It works as follows:

1. Start the record manual flight mode in the flight plan catalog.
2. Fly manually the drone to different locations where you have a really nice view of your scenery. At each location take a picture. Be aware that the sequence you do this in, will be the sequence the drone will fly afterwards again automatically to record the video.
3. Once you have all shots you want to stop the recording (bottom right stop button).
4. Now click on the recorded flight (which appears on the top icon bar after you stopped the recording).
5. Tap the magic wand tool on the left in order to convert your recorded flight into a new mission. You have three options to do this ( I almost always use smooth Plan using Photos).
6. The (smoothend) mission appears on the right and you are now ready to re-fly this computed mission automatically and record a smooth video (play button at bottom right).

You can also watch one of the following videos to get a better understanding on how the process works:

Let me know what you think about it.

Best regards,
Martin, CEO

Martin,
Very nice videos of a beautiful part of the world. I assume this particular sequence is exclusive to the Drone Harmony app. After a little research I purchased the Litchi app for my iPad 4. You’ve inspired me to explore this new world of possibilities that I was unaware of just a few days ago. Thank you.

I've used AirNest for a couple of years for this one single task.

Now several others have this and Litchi is especially powerful using your finger to draw your path. If you haven't tried it out you should TONIGHT!

Wish Airnest worked with the Mavic

Wish Airnest worked with the Mavic

I didn't know it doesn't. Obviously I don't have my Mavic yet or I might have known this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_