DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FW Update .800 Things to know from testing

I got.. 800 and I am. Flying 1.5 miles away from class D port. Nothing has changed other than having to connect to internet the first time I fly in different spots. A major problem when the tablet I use doesn't have web as it's wifi only. Very very very inconvenient...and that's just to update the nfz zone like I give a fvck

hows the signal strength during this flight?

I got.. 800 and I am. Flying 1.5 miles away from class D port. Nothing has changed other than having to connect to internet the first time I fly in different spots. A major problem when the tablet I use doesn't have web as it's wifi only. Very very very inconvenient...and that's just to update the nfz zone like I give a fvck
Will your phone allow being a hotspot?
You could then connect with the phone as your wifi hotspot.
I think people should email DJI explaining the tablet situation since they obviously didn't give it any thought.
I'll be shifting to tablet since I hate squinting at the phone.

Reactions: NaiveFlight
Fly Safe, bro

Umm, so you are trying to say that if I go max speed at S mode, I should be able to cover just as more in P mode... Hmm... I dunno.. I zoomed around a few times in s mode just for the fun of it and my flight time drops from 19 minutes to 15 minutes.. hmm... Need a real math genius to figure this out.. haha

Airport and heliport is a sure NFZ.. My skies are clear at my end.. so I can't say its true or not..
The math wasalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalreadyalready

done on a different thread, but I can't remember which one.

Bingo. I travel full time. My home is where I park it. Always on the move, all over the lower 48 United States. And what I kept asking about is now confirmed here. No internet no fly. Looks like you have to phone home for the NFZ maps.

Not talking about you who are flying in the same area all the time.

Reactions: NaiveFlight
Bingo. I travel full time. My home is where I park it. Always on the move, all over the lower 48 United States. And what I kept asking about is now confirmed here. No internet no fly. Looks like you have to phone home for the NFZ maps.

Oh for the love of god. YOU DO NOT NEED INTERNET.

Reactions: valpraiso
Will your phone allow being a hotspot?
You could then connect with the phone as your wifi hotspot.
I think people should email DJI explaining the tablet situation since they obviously didn't give it any thought.
I'll be shifting to tablet since I hate squinting at the phone.

Get out in the country and hotspot or not the phone will not have connectivity. I use Open Signal to see if I will have coverage where ever I am going. Lots of places, especially out west, have none.

I have turned all internet connections on my iPad mini and flown with no issues or restrictions.

Do you fly in spots long distances away? Like Arizona today and Idaho tomorrow.

Quote from Native Flight "Nothing has changed other than having to connect to internet the first time I fly in different spots."

At first on my tablet I ignored the nfz update, I was restricted in flying to close range/height. I had to use my phone to actually fly in liberty. My tablet was a paperweight for the rest of the night.

So...you tell me.... If a close range flight is all you need... Or if you actually need a web connection even for just that one time.... Now my tablet is useless unless I can connect it somehow.

I don't have tethering on my smartphone.... And the requirement of needed tether so I can feed my tablet web for some. Nfz zone update.... Wow... This thing just added a whole other step to just *mavic wherever you go*. More like fvck around for 10 mins wherever you go. Pfffft.
Loved it and now beginning to get over this thing

I'm with you brother.... I live the same life... Let's see what happens

Do you fly in spots long distances away? Like Arizona today and Idaho tomorrow.

Quote from Native Flight "Nothing has changed other than having to connect to internet the first time I fly in different spots."

It's just that I can't use my tablet... 10inch screen with a purchased sun shade... I have to use my note 5 which is great but... I got 10 inches sitting right by me... Simply cause I can't connect with Thr web from the tablet.

Now if mavic wanted a daily nfz update, I could do that at home with my tablet on wifi.... But... They want it *wherever you go*

Reactions: Tweekme
Umm, so you are trying to say that if I go max speed at S mode, I should be able to cover just as more in P mode... Hmm... I dunno.. I zoomed around a few times in s mode just for the fun of it and my flight time drops from 19 minutes to 15 minutes.. hmm... Need a real math genius to figure this out.. haha
You're looking at this wrong. Time-power efficiency is not what we're after. Distance-power efficiency is. That means you may get less time total out of the battery, but more distance -- much more, so that it more than compensates for the lesser time.

It's pretty easy to see just with the numbers you provided. At 19 minutes / 22mph you'll cover about 7 miles. At 15m/35mph you'll travel 8.75 miles. (These figures are about right, in fact)

The easiest way to see this is imagine how much distance you'll cover hovering an entire battery. Zero, Yet, the battery runs down in about 25 minutes, and the drone lands.

Obviously the factor here affecting all this is the power required to simply stay airborne at altitude. Because of this component to power consumption, the power vs. speed graph is a downward-pointing curve, speed on x axis, distance on y, and there is a speed that corresponds to the peak distance of the curve.

Flight experience accumulated here on the forum seems to point to around 30-32mph as the sweet spot for a stock Mavic, but don't take that as gospel. That's just what I generally remember over a bunch of discussions.

Nice thing is, during RTH you can push the pitch forward and make the Mavic come home faster, up to about 30-32mph at full stick. I wonder if this is a coincidence.

Technically you are. It saves your session data to keep the session persistent. On DJI's side it may not see you as logged in, but the app still does.
Same as this forum, I logged in once months ago, 're started my phone many many times and im still logged in. Go app same deal.

Hi guys, I thought I would start a thread to help clarify some important concerns that have arisen based on the release notes. I upgraded everything and did some field tests, so hopefully this thread alleviates some concerns.

First what is being upgraded?
  • The battery (I think)
  • The Mavic
  • The RC
  • The goggles
How to upgrade:
It's easiest to just use the DJI Go 4 app. To upgrade all of your gadgets at once, turn on the goggles, Mavic, RC and connect your Go 4 app to the RC and start the upgrade. Make sure is everything charged fully, the upgrade takes a while to reach all devices. You can upgrade each device individually with DJI Assistant however.

So what how do these new safety restrictions work?
As you're well aware of, if the DJI Go 4 app isn't connected the drone will not fly very far. Those restrictions are immediately lifted as soon as the DJI Go 4 app is activated and connected, and is logged on. If you are not logged on, you need an internet connection to log on and lift the restrictions. Once lifted, they do not return until the aircraft is rebooted. So if the app disconnects, the drone will continue to function normally.

You can lift the restrictions on the craft without an internet connection if the DJI Go app is already logged on to your account. I imagine any app using the DJI SDK will work as well to lift these restrictions.

What about the NFZ update?
Once updated, the app will ask you to update the NFZ DB. It seems to actually fix some NFZ issues people have come across in the .600 and .700 FWs.

If anyone has any questions, please ask.

It's just that I can't use my tablet... 10inch screen with a purchased sun shade... I have to use my note 5 which is great but... I got 10 inches sitting right by me... Simply cause I can't connect with Thr web from the tablet.

Now if mavic wanted a daily nfz update, I could do that at home with my tablet on wifi.... But... They want it *wherever you go*
I get uncomfortable with 10" that close to me....

well I updated and the setting needed to be reset so I reset everything and went out and flew the quad with only one problem and that was my IPAD would see to stop at times but cleared the photos and movies and will try again tomorrow,all resets worked and stayed the same...thomas

You're looking at this wrong. Time-power efficiency is not what we're after. Distance-power efficiency is. That means you may get less time total out of the battery, but more distance -- much more, so that it more than compensates for the lesser time.

It's pretty easy to see just with the numbers you provided. At 19 minutes / 22mph you'll cover about 7 miles. At 15m/35mph you'll travel 8.75 miles. (These figures are about right, in fact)

The easiest way to see this is imagine how much distance you'll cover hovering an entire battery. Zero, Yet, the battery runs down in about 25 minutes, and the drone lands.

Obviously the factor here affecting all this is the power required to simply stay airborne at altitude. Because of this component to power consumption, the power vs. speed graph is a downward-pointing curve, speed on x axis, distance on y, and there is a speed that corresponds to the peak distance of the curve.

Flight experience accumulated here on the forum seems to point to around 30-32mph as the sweet spot for a stock Mavic, but don't take that as gospel. That's just what I generally remember over a bunch of discussions.

Nice thing is, during RTH you can push the pitch forward and make the Mavic come home faster, up to about 30-32mph at full stick. I wonder if this is a coincidence.

No true Bro.
Do not need any internet or phone cell cover AFTER your initial login following the updates.
So many posts are misinformed.
And all you need if you are in a different area and NFZ comes up just hotspot your phone to get clearance and off you go. That is if you are in a NFZ.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Ok... the way I do distance flight test...

2 things I always bear in mind before I do a flight test.. Wind speed and signal strength.
<snip>
second thing is wind direction... You know your Mavic's top speed on normal mode is around 30 plus KM/h, right?
What I would do is I would use my first battery to test the wind direction and to do that, I fly towards where I planned to fly to for the test and see the top speed reached... if it goes way faster than 35km/h, the wind is blowing from behind your mavic... snip>
If the speed is normal, probably not much wind and thats the best time for me to do the test.

Another good way is to use Airdata (aka Healthy Drones). Do a quick sounding flight stopping at the heights of interest for at least 5 seconds, so it can get enough data to calculate it. Land, open airdata.com and you get this.

upload_2017-6-11_16-19-26.png

In this example a consistent direction and an increase with height. Just make sure to be in P mode not S. This was all the way up to 500' as I was planning to do some mapping at 400'. Wind was too strong so it dd not work.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-11_16-11-37.png
    upload_2017-6-11_16-11-37.png
    343.9 KB · Views: 36
well... went to a way out of place in the attempt to do a distance test... end up not liking the moody looking clouds

so did a few LOS fly arounds... turn my internet data off, went into Airplane mode... my Mavic flies fine with no restrictions..
So who ever started the panic about going to some far away fantasy land with no internet and not being about to fly, I wonder he ever tested this out before shooting off the scare rounds.

was flying 500m away when my gut feeling about the moody clouds were right on the spot..

no sooner had I retrieved my Bird it started to drizzle.. ;p

I see on all forums only discussions about the flying changes on the last 800 firmware but nothing anywhere about the new implementation on video/photo engine? No one has observed any change? because they specified on the list of changes improved camera image processing? No one it is interested of how the mavic take video/photos? :) That improving in image acquisition it is my only reason to update ever the firmware. I am still now on factory firmware from january when I received the mavic...and in therm of flying and stability it is perfect no need to update...I am on 1.03.100 :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661