DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Game of Thrones "drone killer"

gnirtS

Reactions
Google news picked up this on my news alerts:-

Game of Thrones Kills Drones to Save You From Spoilers

According to Sophie Turner—who plays Sansa Stark on the HBO drama—the production team deployed “drone killers” to disable any camera drones attempting to capture footage of the show’s sets during filming for the final season.

“If a drone flies above sets, there’s a thing that can kill the drones, which is really cool,” she told Entertainment Weekly during an appearance at New York Comic-Con. “It creates a field around it and the drones just drop. It’s very X-Men.

However, these so-called “drone killers” are special electronic devices that are typically used by police to force drones to the ground in the event of an emergency, not keep fans from learning the fate of Jon Snow.

Interesting in a way that if its true that is highly illegal in most of the places they're using for filming GoT. So is she lying or are HBO actually breaking locals laws and using these devices?

Nothing, because Game of Thrones isn’t filmed in the U.S.

Outside the US the laws are stricter. As well as damaging a drone (civil aviation offences) theres also the illegal radio transmitter issue (all of europe, CE region).

FAA has no jurisdiction but its illegal pretty much everywhere.

Just owning such a jamming device is illegal for civilians? I thought only govt. authorities could use these devices.

Nothing, because Game of Thrones isn’t filmed in the U.S.
It's filmed here in Northern Ireland. All around the sites where fixed sets have been set up there are loads of 'no drones' posters. When filming is taking place the location is surrounded by a ring of security men and they have a drone of their own in the air to monitor any unauthorised drone use. If another drone is detected several of these heavies are deployed to have a word with the owner, that's their drone killing device.

Couldnt see a single NOTAM or airspace reservation so monitoring of and telling people to not fly drones isnt legal.

Production companies tend to have very good relationships with local governments. I'm sure drone killers are illegal for civilian use over there too but I wouldn't be surprised if the local law enforcement agency is providing it and it's user to them to bypass that. The local government strengthens their relationship with a valuable revenue source, HBO protects their IP and the local law enforcement no doubt gets paid for their service too.

For the UK then no, its not allowed in local government/law enforcement either. No NOTAMs or restricted airspace were filed, the airspace was not closed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky