DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Generally Stupid Questions

Yes, indeed, I'm well experienced in gps drop outs and anomalies - magnetic compass too - in the land north of 60.

So if GPS data is temporarily lost on a short part of outbound leg, or is lost on RTH flight, then the aircraft would 'hover' at that spot in RTH flight - until radio command received or ... what will drone do as battery runs down? In event of a downed aircraft, I'd like to save as much battery as possible to aid recovery operations.

Yes, indeed, I'm well experienced in gps drop outs and anomalies - magnetic compass too - in the land north of 60.

So if GPS data is temporarily lost on a short part of outbound leg, or is lost on RTH flight, then the aircraft would 'hover' at that spot in RTH flight - until radio command received or ... what will drone do as battery runs down? In event of a downed aircraft, I'd like to save as much battery as possible to aid recovery operations.

The drone can't maintain position without GPS, so it will switch to ATTI mode and likely drift in a random direction until it crashes. (unless it is low enough for the visual sensors to help it maintain position absent a GPS lock)

Launch point is zero. To answer a question earlier in this post...if you launch from a valley that is 300’ deep and fly to the top of the hill, you can legally set your RTH at 700’, more if there are buildings at the top of the hill. Just don’t forget the VLOS thing.

Recreational pilots in the US have a hard 400 foot limit above terrain. Only Part 107 pilots can fly 400 feet above an obstacle like a tower or building.

I figured it would continue 'forward' in ATTI mode until 'something' happened - re-establish GPS, or maybe ... This is getting complex enough to be something done for it's own sake, rather than a means to take picture/video.

I hope I can afford my learning curve. :oops:

Thanks guys.

I figured it would continue 'forward' in ATTI mode until 'something' happened - re-establish GPS, or maybe ... This is getting complex enough to be something done for it's own sake, rather than a means to take picture/video.

I hope I can afford my learning curve. :oops:

Thanks guys.

Without a GPS lock, the drone has no way to tell which way it's moving, so "forward" won't necessarily be forward. (there's also a compass, but that can't help the drone with correcting for winds, etc)

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard about that in regards to recreational pilots.

It was part of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act (HR 302) that replaced the older rules for recreational flight. Check Section 349:
``(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the
surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and
complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

This contrasts with the Part 107 rules contained in 14 CFR § 107.51(b), where 107 pilots are authorized to fly higher than 400 feet AGL if they are within a 400 feet radius of a structure, and they don't fly higher than 400 feet above that structure's upper component.

Reactions: swooshdave
I launched from 30 meters away from a sea wall and headed towards my target, I took this I noticed I was flying at -2.0 meters, after a brief wtf moment I and the uncertainty, I chose not to go for a lower angle

Attachments

• 0243753D-6D76-4335-9C96-336B9C6FAE97.jpeg
    0243753D-6D76-4335-9C96-336B9C6FAE97.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: butterflyslicer
Without a GPS lock, the drone has no way to tell which way it's moving, so "forward" won't necessarily be forward. (there's also a compass, but that can't help the drone with correcting for winds, etc)

The drone automation relies on the compass not GPS for direction. To establish direction from GPS requires the drone to be moving at a reasonable velocity. Hence GPS cannot establish direction in a hover (The first thing it does in a RTH on signal loss) Without GPS only Manual flight will enable you to return your drone. Why I always recommend that you fly as much as you can without relying on the automation. The compass is only meaningful in automated flight. i.e. RTH or Waypoints Mission. Without the Compass and GPS you can fly manually relying on the 3G Gyro and 3G Accelerometers. (6G IMU) As you would with a Racing Drone.

What happnes if my rth is set to i.e 300ft and im flying on 350 feet? The drone will down to 300feet to return home? Or stay on 350?

I launched from 30 meters away from a sea wall and headed towards my target, I took this I noticed I was flying at -2.0 meters, after a brief wtf moment I and the uncertainty, I chose not to go for a lower angle
Hey Obsala,
Im assuming you are asking wtf. Sorry if you already figured it out, but, your location as well as altitude is based on your launch point. So if you launch from the top of a sea wall and drop down to a few meters above the water, it will show a negative height. That would be normal.

Reactions: dawgpilot
What happnes if my rth is set to i.e 300ft and im flying on 350 feet? The drone will down to 300feet to return home? Or stay on 350?
If it wasnt rainy hede today, Id test it for you. i.e. Field near my home, no obstructions, I'll set my rth to 100', run out about 1/2 mile at 150', hit rth and watch what it does. Altitude is shown on the screen.

The Real DrSudz The only stupid question is the one you don’t ask ;)

YES... But !
Hello, There is a lot of pilot being confused about the difference between: Altitude vs height vs AGL vs MSL ... It's very important to use the RIGHT words when talking about that subject and there is so many mistake around the different forums...
So, it's time to be careful and to call a "Cat" a "Cat" ... for the safety of everyone and to try to be a better pilot ...
My english can be incorrect as I'm from Belgium and speaking french (please do not confuse Belgium vs France ;-) so I will not try to make a long explanation but instead you will find hereafter a link giving you the right definition;
And if you want to be "open minded" play the game and make the calculation of those "measure" in... meters ! Ok, ok,ok; it's a joke !
Bob

It stays at 350 feet.

Okay, new question! I believe I read in another thread someone had set xual battery level alerts. I believe an initial alert at around 30% and another criticam alert at 15%. I think rth is around 10%. Is there a way on DJI Fly to accomplish setting my own alert levels?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580