DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geo Fence Warning Zones Not Showing Anymore! Isn't this dangerous?

izzca

Reactions
Someone asked this before back in January, when i searched for this topic but no one responded So i'm trying this again hoping someone has an answer........ Anyway, I know this is opposite to everyone else asking how to get rid of these warnings but I feel it is important for safety reasons obviously especially those who just fly anywhere without caring they may be in the "red" zone or in hospital Emergency Helipad areas.... By the way, I already tried manually selecting the warning zones in the DJI built-in GPS map but it didn't change anything. Thanks.

Is your mobile device attached to the controller connected to a cell phone tower - if not you won't see it on your mobile device mini map - in my case I use an Ipad mini 2 that has no cell capability buy via blue tooth I can connect to my cell phone - if I fly connected to my phone I see the geo fencing well - if I don't use blue tooth, I get the warnings still but won't show the geo-fencing - if I am way out in the boonies I don't worry about the geo fencing as there aren't any - recently I flew near St. John's, NL and there geo fencing is weird there - just outside the 3 mile limit of the airport you are limited to 60 meters - it wouldn't even take off within the 3 miles (never tried anyway). The 60 m elevation limits were the flight routes the planed come in on.

Not sure I answered it.

Thanks for your response. Anyway, my phone has cellular connection like 99 percent of the times I'm flying so your suggestion would not apply to my case. Additionally, like I mentioned, I used to see these warnings but all of a sudden, they're gone!

Make sure everything is up to date - I get a geofencing update about once a month

Has anyone else noticed the absence of airport warnings, restrictions and the visual airport zones circles in the built in GPS map? For me, it's really important to see these zones right on the app map in-flight. Hope there's a way to put it back on.

There are apps galore that can keep you honest. Avare, UAV Forecast, and airmap to name a few. Download sectional vfr charts and learn how to read those. Before a flight in unknown areas just study them and make sure you avoid controlled airspace, easy stuff. Don't rely on the dji go app to keep you legal, it's not their responsibility.

Reactions: izzca
There are apps galore that can keep you honest. Avare, UAV Forecast, and airmap to name a few. Download sectional vfr charts and learn how to read those. Before a flight in unknown areas just study them and make sure you avoid controlled airspace, easy stuff. Don't rely on the dji go app to keep you legal, it's not their responsibility.

Thanks! Yeah I know about those options. I guess I was just spoiled of the convenience in seeing those zones and getting pop-up warnings in-flight and within the same app environment. Anyway, which one would you recommend among the many apps if you don't mind?

Thanks! Yeah I know about those options. I guess I was just spoiled of the convenience in seeing those zones and getting pop-up warnings in-flight and within the same app environment. Anyway, which one would you recommend among the many apps if you don't mind?

Avare is for pilots and has all the aeronautical charts plus its free, uav forecast is a simplified version but has excellent UI for getting a quick weather synopsis, airmap provides highly detailed analysis of airspace rules in your area and allows you to submit a digital flight plan and receive digital approval for flights in areas that require it.

In short, get all 3. ?

Someone asked this before back in January, when i searched for this topic but no one responded So i'm trying this again hoping someone has an answer........ Anyway, I know this is opposite to everyone else asking how to get rid of these warnings but I feel it is important for safety reasons obviously especially those who just fly anywhere without caring they may be in the "red" zone or in hospital Emergency Helipad areas.... By the way, I already tried manually selecting the warning zones in the DJI built-in GPS map but it didn't change anything. Thanks.
I, too, have noticed this. When I first started flying drones about two years ago, there was no "gps fencing" near my house. Then, a few months ago, I suddenly could no longer take off from my back yard, as it was a protected area (turns out I was in no fly zone that was at the extreme end of a runway, 5 miles out). I could go 500 feet down the road, and then be in a clear zone.

Now, I can take off again from my back yard. Not sure why. The airport has not moved.

Avare is for pilots and has all the aeronautical charts plus its free, uav forecast is a simplified version but has excellent UI for getting a quick weather synopsis, airmap provides highly detailed analysis of airspace rules in your area and allows you to submit a digital flight plan and receive digital approval for flights in areas that require it.

In short, get all 3. ?

Ha ha. Okay. Will do. Thanks!

The DJI zones cannot be used as reference anyway. You're lucky as it will no more prevent you from flying in places where you're actually allowed to...
Use an official app for reference.

Good Advice. We need more Remote Pilots like you with common sense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54