DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geofencing update issue

Golfnut

Reactions
Well this is the best one yet. I go out on a small job with the Mavic to film the groundbreaking for some renos inside my customer's warehouse. This was a time sensitive, one time shoot. I fire up the Mavic, controller and iPad. The Go4 app decides it wants me to update the geofencing software even though I'm indoors. The problem occurred when it tried to access wifi to download the update. Problem was there is no wifi and my iPad is not equipped with a sim card. However, it seems the software didn't want to take no for an answer and the software hung as it tried to complete the download. There was absolutely nothing I could do to get Go4 working. It stayed stuck at 20% as it tried in vain to download the geofencing update. I missed the shot, upset my customer and embarrassed the hell out of myself. Thanks DJI.
Any tips as to what I could have done would be greatly appreciated.

Power everything up and check to see if you are good to go BEFORE you go to the job.

Reactions: locoman
Was it a forced update? I generally click past all of those at least half a dozen times until I decide if I need them or not. I have not ever been forced to do an update before I fly, nor would I want to do an update only seconds before take-off. Do you have a 'backup' app such as Litchi? $20 bucks is a small price to pay to save the aggravation and embarrassment.

As per the suggestion re checking first. I powered up about an hour before going live. Actually did a test flight using tripod mode etc. Powered everything down while I was waiting (big mistake as it turns out). Powered on in prep for the gig and ran into this problem. Wasn't asked to update anything (I know better than to update as it takes too long and requires wifi.) This all happened with no input from me. Bad deal.

Are Litchi and Go4 the only alternatives?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d