DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

German Drone (UAV) Law in effect since early 2017

sailortom

Reactions
Here a sketch of how to operate legally in German airspace. In case of questions feel free to ask PM.

88f3aa9126f2b6583640291c9250b054.jpg

Nope! Verboten is "forbidden" so I guess it's just grass. And who flies directly above themselves and doesn't use the camera? Great way to get a stiff neck you silly goose! German words are so fun to say! If you can even pronounce them. Menschenansammlungen??????????????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reactions: mothytim
Nope! Verboten is "forbidden" so I guess it's just grass. And who flies directly above themselves and doesn't use the camera? Great way to get a stiff neck you silly goose! German words are so fun to say! If you can even pronounce them. Menschenansammlungen??????????????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
They're quite easy to say, but then again, I'm German so...

Reactions: Yoshizakura
So filming police or ems is forbidden. As is filming government buildings, residential buildings, industrial buildings, or groups of people.

What's left?

My biggest objection would be the first two. I think governments around the globe hate accountability, and so the first protected group are their enforcers and workers. Call me a pessimist, but when it comes to transparency and accountability of government, it isn't fewer cameras that are needed, but more. Maybe Germany doesn't have trigger-happy, easily excitable, and must-escalate-everything police over there, but here, sometimes the only thing that will prevent a good beat down, tasing, or getting shot, is the awareness that cameras may be filming. Not all cops are bad, but if there is a profession that is rife with abuse of power and corruption, it is that one.

So filming police or ems is forbidden. As is filming government buildings, residential buildings, industrial buildings, or groups of people.

What's left?

My biggest objection would be the first two. I think governments around the globe hate accountability, and so the first protected group are their enforcers and workers. Call me a pessimist, but when it comes to transparency and accountability of government, it isn't fewer cameras that are needed, but more. Maybe Germany doesn't have trigger-happy, easily excitable, and must-escalate-everything police over there, but here, sometimes the only thing that will prevent a good beat down, tasing, or getting shot, is the awareness that cameras may be filming. Not all cops are bad, but if there is a profession that is rife with abuse of power and corruption, it is that one.
I haven't found the German police to be power happy. The police officers I have come across have all been sensible. As for these laws, it does put a damper on my plans to take great shots. I'll probably just go up for a minute or two, snap a few photos and then come back down, to avoid problems.

I hate when they call it "Verordung", but the they start with "Generell". Ok, who's going to be the one which decides what falls under "generell" or not? It's just like the new Canadia law, where they stated that one should not fly closer than 75 to animals, yet did not define what animals.

As I understand it you can still take great shots of mountains and remote areas (so I'll be bringing my Mavic on my next trip to the Alps)
I'm headed to Germany in 4 days. It will be tricky, but I will take some great shots of the city of Darmstadt. I hope to not cause any issues. My plan take off in a remote open area quickly fly towards my target, snap a few pictures and return pronto afterwards. No legal comments on this please.

Thank you for that info, sailortom!
Is that law already in place? And how is the name of that law (Verordnung?)
Question: If I plan to film a church in a town, that is surrounded by a large place, is this legal or is this referred to "Wohngebiet" or "Ansammlung" as there are some people on that place but not hundreds or dozens all together.
Thank you for a short update on that.
Regards
Droneky

Thank you for that info, sailortom!
Is that law already in place? And how is the name of that law (Verordnung?)
Question: If I plan to film a church in a town, that is surrounded by a large place, is this legal or is this referred to "Wohngebiet" or "Ansammlung" as there are some people on that place but not hundreds or dozens all together.
Thank you for a short update on that.
Regards
Droneky

The name is :"Drohnenverordnung" , in effect since January 1st and as a hint: a must is insurance and a placard with name, address and phone number. Maximum altitude is 300 ft (100 meters) , 1,5 km (1 statue mile) to an airport as minimum distance. It isn't as strictly enforced as the comments suggest but police is aware of details.

Ansammlung is a crowd. Filming and flying in cities is okay, gardens of sunbathing citizens not, got it? Authorities are pretty comprehensive. EMS and police action filming is totally out of scope, for juridical and ethical reasons.

There are some issues for Germany you did not mention:
  1. Every drone has to have a plate attached with name and adress of owner. This plate has to be fire-proof, i.e. it is a graved aluminium plate. You might order it in the internet.
  2. You have to get an indemnity insurance for the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998