DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting 5 minutes flying time out of batteries

If this were I, I would use DJI Assistant, connect MA to my computer, and upgrade the MA’s firmware, with each and every battery, and see if it helps. I have fixed many problems bypassing the Go4 App. Use a USB cable, and turn MA on. I suspect your LiPo cells are fine, problem is software related....however...

I would seriously recommend you do not fly very high, far, or over hard surfaces. Lithium batteries, when defective, lose almost all power instantly. DJI packs have multi cells inside to keep drones from falling from the sky without w/o warning.

Hope it works :)

That's not the problem. Leaving the batteries to start auto-discharge before flying is the problem.

Reactions: Kilrah
I would seriously recommend you do not fly very high, far, or over hard surfaces. Lithium batteries, when defective, lose almost all power instantly. DJI packs have multi cells inside to keep drones from falling from the sky without w/o warning.
If you read the previous posts, the cause has been explained already and there's nothing wrong with the batteries.

The good news is that if it really is a battery problem and SW doesn’t fix it that DJI will replace them for failures within 6 months. They did that for one of my MA batteries that failed 5 days short of 6 months. They will require that you send them a video of how you charge this battery and will ask a series of questions before issuing an RMA.

If you read the previous posts, the cause has been explained already and there's nothing wrong with the batteries.

Apologies, I’ve been flying DJI AC’s since the 1st P2. I’m just finishing 300th chapter of DJI’s ‘API errata notice to Developers’....for the Spark :-D

It’s in Chinese, but I’ll try harder :-D. OP seemed grateful, so replied.

Safe flying!

0350bc8d4f23b2d17ae3394066f34eee.gif

There's no reason to suspect that.
See post #15

Yeah, but if the packs aren't charging fully, wonder if the charger isn't working as expected was all I meant.

The good news is that if it really is a battery problem and SW doesn’t fix it that DJI will replace them for failures within 6 months. They did that for one of my MA batteries that failed 5 days short of 6 months. They will require that you send them a video of how you charge this battery and will ask a series of questions before issuing an RMA.

Yes, but if the AC dies and sinks at sea, no replacement.

A nice Czech lady just did that flying her Spark, tried DJI, found me, and hand delivered the remaining bits of her Flymore package :-(

I asked her for the logs, but she was finished :-(

YMMV

Yeah, but if the packs aren't charging fully, wonder if the charger isn't working as expected was all I meant.

The OP left them on the charger for two weeks. That alone will cause the problem.

If this were I, I would use DJI Assistant, connect MA to my computer, and upgrade the MA’s firmware, with each and every battery, and see if it helps. I have fixed many problems bypassing the Go4 App. Use a USB cable, and turn MA on. I suspect your LiPo cells are fine, problem is software related....however...

Hope it works :)
Read post #15

Hi All....new guy here.....first post.
I picked up a mavic air combo, back in January, and have just started playing with it, the last couple of weeks. I'm getting to know the controls and playing with quick shots and active trax. I thought having 3 batteries would give me almost an hour of flying time, but I only see to get 5 minutes out of each battery. Needless to say I'm not happy, as they advertise 20 minutes fly time. I do have 4 green lights on each battery before flying, but it doesn't last long. Comments, suggestions?

Cheers were are you from I have a mavric air so can help out if you are in my area

That's not the problem. Leaving the batteries to start auto-discharge before flying is the problem.

Great!! To definitively troubleshoot hub to battery to MA to connector to AC, thru balancer, to motors, logging, radio control, GPS, and compass no, 2. ...to gimbal, oh yes, the camera...you must be a God like genius.

I forgot the RC, OTG to mobile phone...errr device, the DJI NFZs.

Sh** the IMU!!!

It seems the admin has deleted my 2nd post, most likely this

Admin, please remove me from this group.

Hi All....new guy here.....first post.
I picked up a mavic air combo, back in January, and have just started playing with it, the last couple of weeks. I'm getting to know the controls and playing with quick shots and active trax. I thought having 3 batteries would give me almost an hour of flying time, but I only see to get 5 minutes out of each battery. Needless to say I'm not happy, as they advertise 20 minutes fly time. I do have 4 green lights on each battery before flying, but it doesn't last long. Comments, suggestions?

Cheers

OP, *pilots is a great group, very helpful. Fly safe.

Reactions: Riverbc
The OP left them on the charger for two weeks. That alone will cause the problem.

In 10 years, 4 months I have NEVER received a bad battery from DJI. Hẹn gặp lại.

In 10 years, 4 months I have NEVER received a bad battery from DJI. Hẹn gặp lại.

When the OP described actions that completely explain and would lead to the observed behavior, and when the posted log shows normal battery function, why would you start looking for other issues?

Right - but the charger doesn't maintain them - it charges them and then the charging shuts down. After some number of days (default is 10 days for the MA I think) they go into auto-discharge to protect them, after which neither the lights nor the percentage are reliable.
Good instruct sar! from post onset that million dollar question: did u charge right before flight?

Reactions: dawgpilot
In 10 years, 4 months I have NEVER received a bad battery from DJI.
Neither did the OP.
His batteries had just been left around for two weeks after charging and had, quite normally discharged to storage level - just the way they are programmed to.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
OK - question for the gurus.... after a flying session - what is your procedure with batteries. Do you charge them and then put them into storage until just prior to next flight session and recharge. Or, do you leave them partially discharged and let the clever firmware do its stuff and run them down to storage level after 10 days... these are all new to me... I have come up through the generations of NiCad, NiMh, LiPo and LiFe. My practice has been to recharge NiCad and NiMh into storage - and to use a smart charger to put LiPo and LiFe into "storage" voltage as determined by the smart charger for both Lithium types... what do we do after flying the Mavic Air.... charge, or leave partially discharged.... frats,
Rosco

what do we do after flying the Mavic Air.... charge, or leave partially discharged
You want to leave the batteries in a run down state or fully charged for the minimum time.
If the charge level is low, top them up to ~50%.
If they are at more than 50%, they will automatically discharge to storage level in 10 days.

Thanks for that.... so, if I get home and find each battery with more/less than two lights as SOC - I charge them until the second light comes steady...... if they are above this, the smart battery will discharge itself in 10 days...or, I can simply connect up the MA and run it down to 2 lights..... Doing this, will ensure that when I charge prior to flight - they should get to 100%.... thanks for your advice, much appreciated... frats,
Rosco

OP- when you connect to the Air look down on your screen. You will see battery percentage displayed across the top. Good indicator whether you are starting with a charged battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki