DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting a little overwhelmed with data

MARK (LI)

Reactions
Trying to decide if I should get the Mini 2 ...and then found out about the Air...and Air2..I presently have a Phantom which works with an app using Wifi...on these other models I see wires ...is the wire necessary...or will they work wireless using an I phone?...thank you

Cable connection is better all round, avoids possible wifi connection issues as long as a good cable is used.
I have a Spark and use a cable for that too.

Models like my M1P are cable only (or wifi for direct phone control flight) but I'm not sure about the Air and Air2.
I think they are the same, normally cable connect, can fly with phone only wifi option ?

Trying to decide if I should get the Mini 2 ...and then found out about the Air...and Air2..I presently have a Phantom which works with an app using Wifi...on these other models I see wires ...is the wire necessary...or will they work wireless using an I phone?...thank you
Wifi connections are old-tech and very basic.
DJI used it in early models and economy models but their Lightbridge and Occusync transmission systems are 10 times better.
For both you need to connect the phone or tablet to the controller with a USB cable.

WOW...surprised to hear that Wifi is considered old tech..thanks for the information
Wifi has very limited range and will usually break down before 1000 ft.
Wifi gives a sketchy screen view that gets worse with distance.
Lightbridge and Occusync easily go more than 10 times the distance and give a crystal clear screen view even far away.

Thank you for input...which would you buy?...Mini2 or air2?
They are both good ... go for whichever suits your purposes better.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Thank you for input...which would you buy?...Mini2 or air2?
Hello Mark:

If there were no conditions on my purchase I would buy the Air 2s over the Mini 2 and the Air 2. I currently have both a Mini 2 and and Air 2 but if I could start over knowing what I’ve learned of my preferences after owning those two I’d go for the Air 2s. Advantages for me would be mostly due to the improvements in image and video capture due to the larger sensor.

Whatever aircraft I decided upon, I would definitely buy the Fly More Combo version as the extras included are helpful.

WIth any of the three drones I’d also try and budget for the latest version of an iPad Mini to get a larger screen for my “old guy eyes.” I find flying with my phone adequate, but I’m often holding the phone close to my face to try and see more detail. A larger screen would help with that. There are many options for larger screens, I only mention the iPad Mini because after limited research it seems the best for my Use, your situation could be different.

I’m pretty sure you’ll thoroughly enjoy the portability and ease of launch, great range and impressive video feed of any of the those three compared to your Phantom.

Howard

Reactions: NG Wildman
Exactly the kind of information I was seeking...thank you Howard....noone has answerd a question I have, though...is there any advantage to buying from DJI directly as opposed to Adorama or B & H....I live outside NYC...they are both located there, and excellent camera / electronic vendors

Reactions: NG Wildman
Exactly the kind of information I was seeking...thank you Howard....noone has answerd a question I have, though...is there any advantage to buying from DJI directly as opposed to Adorama or B & H....I live outside NYC...they are both located there, and excellent camera / electronic vendors
Hello Mark:

I buy most stuff from B&H via their credit card that pays your sales tax for you. I have purchased some stuff directly from DJI, but with the sales tax savings B&H is less expensive. I'm envious of your locale - I've dreamt of spending days wandering about an actual B&H store!

Aside from availability I don't think there is any particular reason to purchase direct from DJI? Others with more experience may have a better appreciation.

Howard L. Snell

The actual B & H store is really hard to explain...it is like a huge Walmart full of high quality stuff and a knowledgeable sales staff...I have bought several good cameras and lenses from them...they have office space down the block where they have a couple hundred people working the phones ...Adorama is nowhere near the size of B&H ...but on rare occasions will beat B&H on price

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll