DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting a strobe effect on videos

Castyn

Reactions
I have had this issue in the past with the Phantom 4 and now with the Mavic Pro Platinum. Here is an example of what I am talking about while flying over some vineyards recently.

Google Drive - Video Example Strobe

Basically it seems that the exposure is rapidly changing on highly detailed settings such as trees, grass, etc. It ends up making the entire scene look like there is a strobe effect. The The video I linked and what I have been shooting in is 4k, 24fps, 0 0 0, (also tried -2 -1 -1 per other threads on the GOP issue but all that did was make eerything blurry and didn't eliminate the effect, didn't even eliminate the GOP flicker) using an ND8 filter and dropping the shutter speed to around 120 (normally I go as low as possible but 2x frame rate but the issue still happens even at that rate) This effect gets much worse the more detail is on screen. This isn't jello, prop shadow, and I don't believe it is the GOP keyframe issue (although that is a whole seperate debacle I am still trying to wrap my head around)

Does anyone know what causes this?

I really want to love the mavic but I have yet to record anything that is remotely watchable with it. My phantom 4 pro doesn't have this issue (but oh man it has so many hardware failures at this point), but I got a mavic for portability, didn't realize I would be fighting a very, very inefficient and clumsy encoder and camera issues
sad.gif
Just a bit demoralized at the moment. Took a once in a lifetime trip to Australia and feel that I am going to end up walking away empty handed with garbage footage now.

At the very least, sharpness should be set to +1 to get rid of Mavic's subpar in-camera sharpening. And unless you're going to be using the footage in a theatrical release I'd be shooting at 30 fps.

From what I see, it does look like a keyframe issue. You can apply a program like Neat Video to it. I've seen several threads here where folks have shared their Neat Video settings profile.

This could also be a white balance or auto exposure issue ~as they adjust themselves during the shot. Try setting your white balance to anything but Auto, and manually set your camera to a fixed shutter and ISO. Test it out and see if the problem goes away.

From what I see, it does look like a keyframe issue. You can apply a program like Neat Video to it. I've seen several threads here where folks have shared their Neat Video settings profile.

This could also be a white balance or auto exposure issue ~as they adjust themselves during the shot. Try setting your white balance to anything but Auto, and manually set your camera to a fixed shutter and ISO. Test it out and see if the problem goes away.

There is no 30fps option at 4k as far as I can see, even at 2.7k I have 24 and 25 fps as options.

Regardless, I should have mentioned I was using a fixed WB (Cloud) and ISO (100). I manually choose everything except focus.

So, for something like Neat, is that something I would use before or after I make an entire movie? I normally just use adobe premiere to do everything.

There is no 30fps option at 4k as far as I can see, even at 2.7k I have 24 and 25 fps as options.

Regardless, I should have mentioned I was using a fixed WB (Cloud) and ISO (100). I manually choose everything except focus.

So, for something like Neat, is that something I would use before or after I make an entire movie? I normally just use adobe premiere to do everything.
There is most definitely a 4k/30fps option ~it's what I've been using since February. Dig a little deeper ~it's in there. Some people apply Neat Video to each clip, and therefore only the clips that need it... Others, to the entire time line. I think it's something you figure out the more you use it.

Had to switch from PAL to NTSC to find the 30fps option. Spending some time shooting at 2k 30fps soon, see how it goes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito