DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Getting better. Two different areas mapped.

karlblessing

Gerbil Charmer Extraordinaire
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
karlblessing.com
Starting out tried different routes :

1) Using a web script to create a path exporting to Litchi. Saving it in the Litchi hub, and running the waypoint, which I still had to process in some way.
2) Then tried using DreonDeploy trial unfortunately I could never get the app to actually execute the flight, so had to use method #1 then upload those results for processing in Drone Deploy
3) Doing #1 then loading into WebODM for processing
4) Current method is now using DroneLink which works with the Air 2S without issues (though seems like it turns off auto-landing so have to be careful descending slowly or you can smack the ground hard), did the planning in DroneLink able to chain 2+ map plans into a single execution, and loading the results into WebODM

Results so far from doing one run with a 80%+ or better overlap with the gimbal pointed straight down (-90°), then two runs separated by 20° flight direction, with gimbal set at -65°. Meaning first run flight direction is 0° , first angled run at 350° direction, and second angled run at 10°.

First try being at a park south of here with a barn, didn't quite get the unseen parts.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 232415.png
Screenshot 2023-01-10 232320.png
Screenshot 2023-01-10 232354.png

Then tried something taller without obstruction sort of a silo. First time was only 100ft up, but missed a lot of the top of the structure so re-ran it about 150 (silo max height around 75ft)

odm_orthophoto_silop.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-10 232832.png

Then tried something a little more urban

odm_orthophoto.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-10 230819.png
Screenshot 2023-01-10 230917.png
Screenshot 2023-01-10 231259.png

Getting there. Trying to think of what may be some good 3D applications to remove or flatten some of the elements. My 3D experience is quite a few years out of date, last used Bryce3D and briefly Rhino3d in college. But at least the orthomosaic is coming out good with some settings tweaks.

If you have dronelink, why not just use the built in 2d and 3d mapping functions? Or is this an exercise just to see if you can DIY for self satisfaction

If you have dronelink, why not just use the built in 2d and 3d mapping functions? Or is this an exercise just to see if you can DIY for self satisfaction
I did use the mapping function (that's out the flight plans are made and executed). But dronelink doesn't do the processing just the capture,and 3d doesn't seem to be an option unless you're paying for a professional subscription.

Edit : you may be confusing it with dronedeploy which does have additional options to handle 3d capture automatically and can do its own processing. But that's not only 500/month but wasn't even working with my air 2s (wouldn't execute the mission during the free trial).

Last edited:
I'm right about where you are, maybe a little behind. I'm using Drone Link and find it to be easier to use than Litchi, and have been processing in WebODM and in Maps Made Easy, both much easier to swallow cost-wise than some of the other offerings.

My sticking point right now is finding a program or app that an end user use to open up and work with models and point clouds. I'm using a Mac, no access to PC, so my options may be limited.

I'm using a Mac, no access to PC, so my options may be limited.
The intel based macs should be able to load up windows I thought.

But I'm wondering if maybe there's a web based viewer to your specific need, sort of like how the Autodesk viewer online is free to load up those textured 3d obj files and their supporting files from the same folder.

Reactions: evtide
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki