DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting cold feet about owning a Drone

Huh? I think you should do a little more research......but if you have some way to get an FAA 14 CFR Part 107 license for free, even if it's just for 6 months....be sure to share it with everyone.....but I think you've misunderstood something.

Sorry it's only the renew that is free and you get a 6 month extension. First timers have to wait until test centers are open and normal fees.

FAA Issues Regulatory Update Due to Coronavirus — How to Renew Your Part 107 Drone License | Drone Pilot Ground School

I would love to ignore the jerks and know-it-alls and sometimes aggressive uninformed people. The problem is I’m trying to CONCENTRATE on being safe AND trying to create some media. Idk. I have the mini, MA2, and M2P and I just can’t hardly justify them. I’m excited for the Mavic 3 and will probably buy one of those also. It’s complicated.

Reactions: Hauptmann
...I have the mini, MA2, and M2P and I just can’t hardly justify them. I’m excited for the Mavic 3 and will probably buy one of those also. It’s complicated...

At least it’ll be easy to justify: You must complete the set.

Huh? I think you should do a little more research......but if you have some way to get an FAA 14 CFR Part 107 license for free, even if it's just for 6 months....be sure to share it with everyone.....but I think you've misunderstood something.
Might be in a different country but there are multiple references to "part 107", so that makes me think this is a US reference?

It sounds like whatever you buy next you will return.

I admit I’m a bit all over the map. It started out I needed a drone to take some real estate photos of property I was selling. So without much research I bought a MA2. Photos went fine. Loved flying it. But then realized I should have bought it with the fly more. So I returned it planning on reordering with fly more. Then before re-ordering I took time to do some research. After researching I decided I really wanted the goggle option. And thought I’d enjoy the M2P camera. I posted a separate thread on that. Goggles not worth it but I liked a lot of features of the M2P. Decided to return and wait for M3P or M3Z.

Meanwhile been reading this forum. And a concern of mine has increased. That is pissing my neighbors off. One thread a neighbor wrote a threatening letter and another was shot down. I plan to mostly use the drone around a vacation home on a lake. Back at my main home we have ring door bell and the neighborhood watch is discussing concerns over a drone. These events might be rare that rise to this attention level. But for the ones that don’t, how many neighbors are you making uncomfortable and being thought of as “that guy with the drone”.

I really enjoyed flying the drone. And planned on another M2P without goggles or a M3P or M3Z.

If I always had to fly it away from home I’m not sure how much I’d use it. Like on hikes and bike rides. But would I piss some folks off in those situations too? I know some folks would be fine and interested but some will never be happy.

Now I’m not so sure what to do. Don’t care what’s “legal”. I just don’t want to be seen as a nuisance.

P.S. We already have 2 yappy dogs that one neighbor hates near our vacation home that like to call the cops. Luckily they are not around very often.

Look at these pretty recreational pictures I just so happen to have available for my listing ;)

1) I am *not* an attorney.

2) Dad was an attorney.

3) I've been working with attorneys on photography-related subjects for a long time.

The general opinion of every attorney I've spoken to (and the FAA, for that matter) is that it is totally irrelevant that an image was captured in "recreation" if the end usage is commercial. The moment that image gets placed in a listing, you're in violation.

(I haven't done real estate work - I do a *lot* of theatre photography for promotion and production imagery - and the opinion I got was that I can't even do a shoot for *free* for a *non-profit* theater using a drone to make images to promote their show or even for archival work without running smack into Part 107. Which is why I now have a temporary 107, and I'm waiting on the plastic from the FAA. Another two or three weeks, probably.)

Many people have an overinflated sense of self-importance. For some reason, these people think their opinion matters and wish to impose it on you. They make up non-existent laws or community ordinances and present them as facts in a forceful way, just because they believe they should exist. They have a deeply ingrained need to control others and force them to fit into their expectations of behavior. They approach this aggressively in a bid to influence your actions, a sort of "bullying" by mature adults. In most cases, these poor souls are miserable in their own lives and have this reaction to anyone enjoying themselves. Quite often they are a dominating presence in their own household, so used to being in control, they try to extend this beyond their Sphere of Influence. They seem to thrive on anger and conflict. These are the people in the car that swerves at you and brake checks you, just because you changed lanes.

How you deal with these people is really up to you. How much energy are you willing to expend? How badly do you want to hold your ground? Quite often it will just degenerate into a "pissing match", so to speak. Sometimes, a calm explanation of what you're doing and your right to do so can calm the situation, but more often than not, these people do not want to listen to anything you have to say, and any response will be met with an escalation.

Try to do your best. Keep your cool. Sometimes it's better to just apologize and walk away, sometimes you need to stand your ground. It may be best to agree with them that they should call the police, and allow them to do so. Let them flip out and discredit themselves with the police, then you calmly explain what you're doing and your legal right to do so. Let the Law Enforcement Officer decide how to proceed, and comply with their wishes. It's best to extract yourself from the situation, calm down, and then escalate your position through the proper channels later. Even when you're right, it may not go your way in the immediate moment. Keep your cool, smile, and nod your head.

(That drives the psycho nutbags even crazier)
I often think about this as I have not experienced it yet, maybe because I am a 6ft self-confident person and regularly interact with the public (prior to Covid). A friend of mine is a drone pilot has and been called various derogatory names for no apparent reason. It would be interesting to know the response of these F***tards if you pointed out to them that verbal or threatening behaviour is deemed as bullying, thus is a criminal offence. (In the UK at least).
I used to do photography years ago of junior football teams, was very well known and sold many photos as well as being asked to do their events (also bearing in mind that both my sons were playing as well)...anyway there was this guy one day Mr Bigballs and he approached me at a game and openly asked was I some sort of perv photographing young boy's? The parents were gobsmacked at Mr Bigballs insolence to the point that they wanted to defend me. Then he said make sure I don't photograph his son. I replied "is that the little short one that looks like gollum and obviously takes after his father?"... haha so then he went striding off to his car saying he was going to call the police...I said fine go ahead...so off he went to his Porsche Cayenne chatting on his mobile... thus they either told him not to be a silly billy or his bottle went as he didn't return :)

do you want to be talked into it or out of it....instinct tells me you should not buy a drone. But I love the fact that you were able to use it and then return it..

A friend of mine takes just the controller to a park and pretends to fly. Inevitably, somebody walks up to him and complains. I've not been confronted personally, just by phone, email, and facebook. I saved a screenshot from the guy who threatened to shoot it down. I live in the country, each house has an average of ten acres and there are lots of open spaces. I take off from my patio and go to maximum altitude. (400') Then I stay over my property. But three people have taken some enjoyment out of my drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito