DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting cold feet about owning a Drone

Do a google search for "FAA licensed drone pilot vest" and you'll fine lots of these.

We should have a bib or something like service dogs have. Something official looking like “FAA 107 Pilot”.
[/QUOTE]

I admit I’m a bit all over the map. It started out I needed a drone to take some real estate photos of property I was selling. So without much research I bought a MA2. Photos went fine. Loved flying it. But then realized I should have bought it with the fly more. So I returned it planning on reordering with fly more. Then before re-ordering I took time to do some research. After researching I decided I really wanted the goggle option. And thought I’d enjoy the M2P camera. I posted a separate thread on that. Goggles not worth it but I liked a lot of features of the M2P. Decided to return and wait for M3P or M3Z.

Meanwhile been reading this forum. And a concern of mine has increased. That is pissing my neighbors off. One thread a neighbor wrote a threatening letter and another was shot down. I plan to mostly use the drone around a vacation home on a lake. Back at my main home we have ring door bell and the neighborhood watch is discussing concerns over a drone. These events might be rare that rise to this attention level. But for the ones that don’t, how many neighbors are you making uncomfortable and being thought of as “that guy with the drone”.

I really enjoyed flying the drone. And planned on another M2P without goggles or a M3P or M3Z.

If I always had to fly it away from home I’m not sure how much I’d use it. Like on hikes and bike rides. But would I piss some folks off in those situations too? I know some folks would be fine and interested but some will never be happy.

Now I’m not so sure what to do. Don’t care what’s “legal”. I just don’t want to be seen as a nuisance.

P.S. We already have 2 yappy dogs that one neighbor hates near our vacation home that like to call the cops. Luckily they are not around very often.
Man up?

Reactions: Hauptmann
I admit I’m a bit all over the map. It started out I needed a drone to take some real estate photos of property I was selling. So without much research I bought a MA2. Photos went fine. Loved flying it. But then realized I should have bought it with the fly more. So I returned it planning on reordering with fly more. Then before re-ordering I took time to do some research. After researching I decided I really wanted the goggle option. And thought I’d enjoy the M2P camera. I posted a separate thread on that. Goggles not worth it but I liked a lot of features of the M2P. Decided to return and wait for M3P or M3Z.

Meanwhile been reading this forum. And a concern of mine has increased. That is pissing my neighbors off. One thread a neighbor wrote a threatening letter and another was shot down. I plan to mostly use the drone around a vacation home on a lake. Back at my main home we have ring door bell and the neighborhood watch is discussing concerns over a drone. These events might be rare that rise to this attention level. But for the ones that don’t, how many neighbors are you making uncomfortable and being thought of as “that guy with the drone”.

I really enjoyed flying the drone. And planned on another M2P without goggles or a M3P or M3Z.

If I always had to fly it away from home I’m not sure how much I’d use it. Like on hikes and bike rides. But would I piss some folks off in those situations too? I know some folks would be fine and interested but some will never be happy.

Now I’m not so sure what to do. Don’t care what’s “legal”. I just don’t want to be seen as a nuisance.

P.S. We already have 2 yappy dogs that one neighbor hates near our vacation home that like to call the cops. Luckily they are not around very often.
I don't mind being thought of as "that guy with the drone" at all. :)

I was planning on and working on 107 just to be generally knowledgeable. No plans do to commercial work.

We should have a bib or something like service dogs have. Something official looking like “FAA 107 Pilot”.
I actually do wear my “FAA CERTIFIED DRONE PILOT” vest when Im in a conspicuous setting. It has generated some interesting (all positive) conversations.

You are worried about too much. I have the Mavic 2 pro. It is very good. Fly it and don’t aggravate people. We use it at every party to take cool family pics and videos. Fly fly fly.

I don't fly my drone at home - not even to test functions and techniques in the back garden. We live in a built up area by a main road. Plus the garden has trees and shrubs so drone hell.

My testing ground is the local park with a lake that is within walking distance. I have never had any bother with people there, as I always make sure I am away from people and especially dogs when I take off and land. I frequently get people chatting about the drone, asking question and taking an interest.

The only time I have had someone have a go at me was in a different park where I had to bring it down near a public footpath as I was getting battery low warnings and the RTH point was some way away. It wasn't "Having a go" really, but he was a fellow drone owner who obviously gets hacked off with the behaviour and disregard some have. I showed him the registration sticker on the drone and explained my action and he was fine.

Get the drone, find somewhere other than your back yard to use as a test ground and enjoy!

I live in rural Florida [fortunately] and can fly my drones unhindered at will. However when i do fly I always go up to maximum altitude then haul butt to my destination. My back yard is a state wildlife management area in open airspace. I would never fly, let alone hover, over neighbors property. And when flying I rarely descend lower than 350 ft. I also fly at the local RC flying field and at the beach early in the mornings.

Don't let other people's ignorance and paranoia hinder you from enjoying your hobby. Life is way to short.

I don't fly my drone at home - not even to test functions and techniques in the back garden. We live in a built up area by a main road. Plus the garden has trees and shrubs so drone hell.

My testing ground is the local park with a lake that is within walking distance. I have never had any bother with people there, as I always make sure I am away from people and especially dogs when I take off and land. I frequently get people chatting about the drone, asking question and taking an interest.

The only time I have had someone have a go at me was in a different park where I had to bring it down near a public footpath as I was getting battery low warnings and the RTH point was some way away. It wasn't "Having a go" really, but he was a fellow drone owner who obviously gets hacked off with the behaviour and disregard some have. I showed him the registration sticker on the drone and explained my action and he was fine.

Get the drone, find somewhere other than your back yard to use as a test ground and enjoy!

There is so much to explore in my "back yard" which is what I primarily wanted to fly at.

It was kind of fun getting the Sunset back 2-3 times by going up.

49949998723_28e70e8f72_k_d.jpg

49949999113_ad48430f12_k_d.jpg

49950496101_1db5b3b970_h_d.jpg

49949997883_247291f889_k_d.jpg

49950791162_0c28e15bc0_k_d.jpg

surely you must have a local park that is where I fly where I just wanna get some quick flying in just go to the local park there’s usually a large segment of the park where there no one is and you can fly without bothering anybody
National Parks, State Parks, City Parks generally off limits to drones. The city I live in specifically states no model rockets, drones, etc in city parks. The local cops have better things to do, and am certain do not enforce the code but still do not fly in town. So, I look for great places outside of town. I have decided not to fly in the neighborhood where I live since a woman 2 doors away is paranoid about drones, without any justification, I am certain of. And, as always, I watch for low flying aircraft. Just in the last couple of weeks, there have been instances of both helos and small aircraft flying over my neighborhood in the 300-400' airspace over my neighborhood. You can never be sure where they will appear. I am sad my M2P has no ADS-B to warn me.

This is easy. Don’t get one. You won’t enjoy flying it based on your concerns. All the posts here to the contrary, isn’t going to change who you are. If you don’t think you will fly it because you will have to go somewhere else to fly it and that makes it too much of a hassle, don’t get one. I understand everything your saying. Everyone is different and that is ok.

Play the Liability Card:

If you are out and about flying your drone, have a paper and pen handy. If while you are flying, someone approach you, have them file out their contact information and sign. The wording on the paper should read:

"I, hereby, acknowledge that interacting with a person operating a drone may cause the drone to collide and/or fall from the sky. Should I continue to interact with the drone pilot, I will be liability for the drone and the damage it may cause in whole or in part."
Sign: Date:

When you are done flying, pack your stuff and go inside your house or proceed to your vehicle to leave. You do not have to talk to anyone unless they are official.

As another poster said above, go ahead and get your 107. that way, when someone tries to question you, you not only have an FAA license, you'll be more knowledgeable about the rules. You can then explain said rules with some authority in your voice, and that calms people down. Take it from me, I'm currently flying an I2 w/X7 camera, doing power line inspections in some interesting areas. Lots of customer interaction with people who are not too happy with the Utility that we're doing inspections for. Knowing what I'm talking about de-escalated any potential problem every time.

I do not know if you are in the USA or not but I am addressing it as if you were.

I think it would do you a lot of good, to at least go through a Part 107 prep course. I am not saying that to be authoritative, in any way. The prep content alone will make you self aware of all the mitigation, safety concerns and even some legal issues concerning drones.

Just the fact that you were capturing photo for your own personal real estate you were flying against part 107 regulations. That would be considered commercial work, even if it is for your own property. If you used these images/video in your real estate ad, then it would be considered commercial work.

Happy flying

I do not know if you are in the USA or not but I am addressing it as if you were.

I think it would do you a lot of good, to at least go through a Part 107 prep course. I am not saying that to be authoritative, in any way. The prep content alone will make you self aware of all the mitigation, safety concerns and even some legal issues concerning drones.

Just the fact that you were capturing photo for your own personal real estate you were flying against part 107 regulations. That would be considered commercial work, even if it is for your own property. If you used these images/video in your real estate ad, then it would be considered commercial work.

Happy flying

That’s good to know. I thought it would be legal for your own property. But that makes some sense.

Look at these pretty recreational pictures I just so happen to have available for my listing ;)

Anyway I had planned on getting the 107 and was in the process when I decided to return the M2P and wait for M3P. 107 process is currently free and all online. It’s only good for 6 months before you need to renew. But renewing I think is easier and cheaper and going through it once might be all I end up doing. Kind of makes it all pretty easy process right now.

...107 process is currently free and all online. It’s only good for 6 months before you need to renew. But renewing I think is easier and cheaper and going through it once might be all I end up doing. Kind of makes it all pretty easy process right now...

Huh? I think you should do a little more research......but if you have some way to get an FAA 14 CFR Part 107 license for free, even if it's just for 6 months....be sure to share it with everyone.....but I think you've misunderstood something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming