DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting Desperate for Answers

My M3 is doing this new out of the box as well. i activated and updated firmware via phone, first attempt said failed immediately, 2nd attempt said successful. I go to fly and it is gaining and descending alt. slowing down to 10mph with no warning and stopping and going. funny thing is my m2p is doing the same exact thing (well, it will stop alltogether and tell me to recenter the sticks and then proceed)
Downloaded the new dji assistant on my pc and plugged it up, and boom, error came up telling me drone had incompatible firmware in some modules or something of that nature and I needed to reinstall firmware.
I reinstalled it twice on both the m3 and the crappy ma2 controller that it comes with and will see in the am if that fixed the issue.

Only things that compare are I am in same location and it has happened with my m2p and also the m3, both of which I updated the firmware through my phone while connected to the app. Reinstalling Firmware from my PC fixed my issue with the m2p. It will more than likely fix the m3 for the time being,.... I HOPE!

I also believe that for the moment, the air2s is a more solid drone than the m3. I am very happy that I did not decide to sell the air2s. I will more than likely be sitting on the m3 until this new update comes out later on. Just sucks that dji says the SC cant connect to it when a ma2 controller can, makes me very angry that they software locked it out to get another 1200 plus out of the weak.

I had a flawless flight today. What changed? I flew when it was sunny and not dusk. I do now believe these issues lie in the sensors. It all seems to make sense. Another observation I made is you need to be a little more gentle on the sticks with the M3. I was used to the A2S and would make hard cuts and turns etc and doing that in the M3 causes the gimbal to flop around and some other performance issues..Hopefully they fix the sensors. I can't get anywhere with support.

Can you re-try the flight at dusk again but disable the OA completely to see if the obstacle avoidance is causing the problem, usually switching to Sports Mode also disables the OA, not sure if it does switch off all OA on the M3 but at least then you will know if the drone is getting spurious readings from confused OA & then trying to work a way round it.

Can you re-try the flight at dusk again but disable the OA completely to see if the obstacle avoidance is causing the problem, usually switching to Sports Mode also disables the OA, not sure if it does switch off all OA on the M3 but at least then you will know if the drone is getting spurious readings from confused OA & then trying to work a way round it.
I did and turning off sensors seems to solve a lot of the issues...

I think the OA & APAS 5.0 need firmware tweaks, & a lot of them watched a video from Ian in London earlier tonight showing the Mavic 3 in APAS mode making maneuvers that combined with the extra sensitive sticks make for a bumpy unpredictable flight if anything within sensor range, it may be a case of if you fly the drone then keep it well away from nearby objects, turn off the OA/APAS & see how it goes, then try the exact same flight as close as possible to all parameters (height/speed/flight path/direction) with OA/APAS on as you usually use it & compare the two, I think this is looking more & more like the OA/APAS 5 over reacting, hence why your two different Mavic 3 models are doing the same thing, until the firmware updates come out in Jan 2022 ? then it is a case of flying extra cautious until then.

Reactions: bkushner
So, as I've posted here I had a new M3 that was doing a bunch of crazy things. Most concerning was landing where I took off at over minus 100 feet. Few other things were flying along in a straight line and start descending or ascending without touching the stick. Multiple times the drone would not go faster then 10mph unless I switched into sport then back to P mode. I requested support CASE NUMBER 3896876 from DJI about 2 weeks ago and till now have received NOTHING. I did get one message passing me along to the "team that deals with this". A few folks that saw my logs agreed there was a real issue here and the drone needed to be replaced. So I returned the drone to the place of purchase for a refund and ordered elsewhere (couldn't exchange as dealer had no stock).

New drone arrived and is doing the EXACT SAME THING. So. How can this be. Odds would be astronomical that I drew another bad drone..So with no help from DJI not sure what I can do other then return and get the great Air 2S again. I've been flying for 6 years almost every drone out there and logged nearly 7,000 miles. I fly almost every day of the week and 98% in the same area. I've tried everything I know. I changed areas, locations, calibrations etc and I'm stumped. Would appreciate the experts here maybe having a look at my logs and weighing in as to what they think could be happening here. As for my hunch I believe it has something to do with the vision sensors. I do fly a lot at dusk although issue happening in full daylight but not as bad.

Here are a couple of logs. This first one is from the returned drone where the flight lands at minus 110 feet

This log is from today's flight, just a few hours ago. Please have a look at 1m 38.5 you'll see drone start dropping in altitude with the left stick neutral. At 1.38.9 stick now up as I try and correct descent and altitude still dropping a little bit more. Finally 1.30.3 where VPS shows altitude at 48.6 feet and the IMU shows 80.4 feet. This is the point the readings stopped being close.

Thanks
From all I've read it seems like the M3 was launched to the public before it was fully tested maybe to get it out before Christmas. I don't think I've seen anyone that didn't have problems

I have the same problem going 10MPH only then having to switch to sport mode. I have the Mavic 3 Cin. It also will drop altitude on return to home and you cannot force it back up unless you cancel return to home and yes, I have set the return to home at 200 ft. It also changes altitude doing normal flight but not by much. It also seems to have trouble yawing when the 7x + is turn on mostly when you have maxed out to 28X.

I have the same problem going 10MPH only then having to switch to sport mode. I have the Mavic 3 Cin. It also will drop altitude on return to home and you cannot force it back up unless you cancel return to home and yes, I have set the return to home at 200 ft. It also changes altitude doing normal flight but not by much. It also seems to have trouble yawing when the 7x + is turn on mostly when you have maxed out to 28X.
I think the drop in altitude on the return the home is normal and supposed to happen my drops and altitude happen when I’m flying straight lines

Mine changes a little but seems to be going up instead of going down when flying normal but all the other DJI drones from Phantom 4 and all the Mavic's you can control the altitude while you are in returning to home mode manually but this one will not let you change it as it drops down and it does come close to the top of the trees in my yard. I usually fly back and land manually but I like to check out the return to home once in a while to see if there is anything going wrong on the drone.

I don't get an error about the sensor but I see waves pop up on the radar when I'm no where near anything flying at 200 feet and the drone slows to 10 mph, then it picks up again to 20...30 then back to 10mph. Mostly seeing this at dusk and it seems to stop when I turn off the sensors.
I had most of these same issues with my review unit. I couldn't even fly it with OA enabled, as it regular stopped in mid-air at 300 feet. Also, RTH did not function. Then. . I crashed my M3 and had to utilize Care Refresh. Now, with my replacement unit, I have none of the issues that I had with the first one. I really think this comes down to QC. You most likely, unfortunately, drew the short straw twice.

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
I had most of these same issues with my review unit. I couldn't even fly it with OA enabled, as it regular stopped in mid-air at 300 feet. Also, RTH did not function. Then. . I crashed my M3 and had to utilize Care Refresh. Now, with my replacement unit, I have none of the issues that I had with the first one. I really think this comes down to QC. You most likely, unfortunately, drew the short straw twice.
Hey Russ. This is my second unit. First I returned to vendor. Bought the second at a different place and same issues. Mostly all surround the sensors at dusk. I think they need to fine tune the sensors a bit. Glad you have one working well.

Glad I am not alone I guess - Good grief! I fly a lot of dusk/dawn

I have been flying drones/helicopters a long time (F550 days back when you had to build them yourself) and the Mavic 3 Cine makes me nervous as hell. It seems jumpy and aggressive at times and I too get "objects detected" at 100M. Even when flying slow between 2 objects it makes quick movements to "avoid" something that is still a meter away.

The disconnects on the radio seem odd to me as when I bought the M2 with the Smart controller (day 1) I never had so many disconnects. When it is running right the range is amazing! But the transmission cut-outs. No sir, don't like it.

Now maybe I am extra jumpy because this thing cost so much but with the way it is flying and acting I went ahead and bought the DJI Care Refresh this morning before my 48 hour window expired. Maybe that was the plan! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike