Getting my 107!

• Thread starter Deleted member 136962
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 136962

Hi folks,

So after all of the rules and regs and a few conversations I will be getting my 107 soon.

Give it a couple of weeks ;)

There seems to be WAY too many grey areas to even care about whether I am in compliance or not.

Yes I do have the time and funds to pay for it but would rather be "safe" if it ever came down to it.

As a former USAF guy, I would like to know the rules that it takes.

I know airspace....I am intimately involved with it on a daily basis.

So for me it will be another fun thing (albeit the funds which I personally think are overblown) but will do so.

I took my testing for the HAM license a couple years ago and I would think that could have had a fee?

Enough ranting....just going to do it and not paying for a course!

Mike :)

Go do it! If you know what to study there is no need to pay for a course, though there are a lot of YouTube vids out there that focus on specific areas. IMO success comes from identifying your weakest knowledge areas and focusing on those. The FAA study guide is one of those reads that I think are necessary because some of the questions that pop up on the test are obtuse and are looking for a specific answer among other reasonably correct answers. So once you think you have the basic knowledge down, go take one of the several practice tests out there.

Good luck.

I work designing and evaluating airspace issues I think I can. I deal with it every day.

Just downloading the FAA test and will see what happens!

This is kind of a fun thing like getting my HAM license!

took my testing for the HAM license a couple years ago and I would think that could have had a fee?
The fcc is talking about implementing a $50 fee. I disagree with it particullarly for the tech license where the test is for entry level. Lots of techs are young and kids can pass the test.. Just another way to kill a hobby.

As for the part 107, if your not going to use it, why pay the $150.00. You can still study and learn everything, ace the practice tests and have all the knowledge. If you think you may use go for it.

Yeah so the FAA is asking for an "IACRA" number....did that got the "tee shirt" after being on the telephone I was told to go to another "testing" site that was NOT part of the FAA.

I think I am done with multiple passwords and numbers

Anyone have a suggestion?

This is NOT on the FAA website that I can find.

Yeah so the FAA is asking for an "IACRA" number....did that got the "tee shirt" after being on the telephone I was told to go to another "testing" site that was NOT part of the FAA.

I think I am done with multiple passwords and numbers

Anyone have a suggestion?

This is NOT on the FAA website that I can find.

The FAA outsources the actual written testing to a company called PSI.

There seems to be WAY too many grey areas to even care about whether I am in compliance or not.
If you feel that way about it you shouldn’t really be flying a drone at all.

Unlike an amateur radio license this is a commercial license and unlike amateur radio property and perhaps lives are at stake.

If you transmit with too much power or on the wrong band little harm done.

Flying a drone is a different story it actually takes some skill unlike pressing the push to talk button on a radio

You can take a course... the info and practice exams will have you prepped to take the test. Should you not need it for work... I wouldn't get one.

If you feel that way about it you shouldn’t really be flying a drone at all.

Unlike an amateur radio license this is a commercial license and unlike amateur radio property and perhaps lives are at stake.

Flying a drone is a different story it actually takes some skill unlike pressing the push to talk button on a radio
Done, I think I may have confused everyone.

I am not good at sarcasm online.

The grey areas come from folks that fly and don’t know about the impacts they have to both the GA/BA/CA and military folks that are flying.

I have encountered this a great deal with many drone pilots hence folks that call things “grey areas”....one reason why am getting my 107. Several quotes on how taking videos for a neighbor to show an insurance company after the hail storms we had over the past couple of years is just one example.

Hi folks,

So after all of the rules and regs and a few conversations I will be getting my 107 soon.

Give it a couple of weeks ;)

Yes I do have the time and funds to pay for it but would rather be "safe" if it ever came down to it.

As a former USAF guy, I would like to know the rules that it takes.

I know airspace....I am intimately involved with it on a daily basis.

So for me it will be another fun thing (albeit the funds which I personally think are overblown) but will do so.

I took my testing for the HAM license a couple years ago and I would think that could have had a fee?

Enough ranting....just going to do it and not paying for a course!

Mike :)
Hi folks,

I will no longer be participating in the forum.

Fly Safe!

What if I transmit on the same band as emergency medical services, or air traffic control? Little harm done, right?

Amateur radio is a lot more than pushing a button to talk.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
What if I transmit on the same band as emergency medical services, or air traffic control? Little harm done, right?

Amateur radio is a lot more than pushing a button to talk.

Just a thought.
Yes... it's WAY more than just pushing a button. It's just as complex. I have both my HAM and 107 and I can say it's equally as important.

Yes... it's WAY more than just pushing a button. It's just as complex. I have both my HAM and 107 and I can say it's equally as important.

FYI, ham (when referring to Amateur Radio) isn't written in all caps, as it's not an acronym.

Reactions: MA2 317
HAM = Helping All Mankind lol

I’ll say it the proper way ... FCC Amateur Radio Technician License :)

Last edited:
FYI, ham (when referring to Amateur Radio) isn't written in all caps, as it's not an acronym.

Thanks. I learn something everyday. :)

From Wikipedia...

Ham radio[edit]

Main article: Etymology of ham radio
The term "ham" was first a pejorative term used in professional wired telegraphy during the 19th century, to mock operators with poor Morse code-sending skills ("ham-fisted").[10][11][12][13] This term continued to be used after the invention of radio and the proliferation of amateur experimentation with wireless telegraphy; among land- and sea-based professional radio operators, "ham" amateurs were considered a nuisance. The use of "ham" meaning "amateurish or unskilled" survives today sparsely in other disciplines (e.g. "ham actor").

The amateur radio community subsequently began to reclaim the word as a label of pride,[14] and by the mid-20th century it had lost its pejorative meaning. Although not an acronym, it is often mistakenly written as a backronym, with "HAM" in capital letters.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78