DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting new glasses for goggles-focal distance

superdave5050

Reactions
Went to eye doctor today for eye exam for glasses for the DJI goggles. I now wear progressive and am a bit far sided. I tried getting readers but even the strongest ones wouldn't work. Optometrist said no problem, what focal distance would you like. I said well the screen is probably 4" out but with the lenses between me and the inside screen changes it so it's further out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to figure this out. I can get a set of single lens prescription for fairly cheap but would like to take the guess work out of it a bit.
Thanks
Blurry in Oregon

Reactions: Explorer
Went to eye doctor today for eye exam for glasses for the DJI goggles. I now wear progressive and am a bit far sided. I tried getting readers but even the strongest ones wouldn't work. Optometrist said no problem, what focal distance would you like. I said well the screen is probably 4" out but with the lenses between me and the inside screen changes it so it's further out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to figure this out. I can get a set of single lens prescription for fairly cheap but would like to take the guess work out of it a bit.
Thanks
Blurry in Oregon
I also wear progressive lenses and I went to Walmart and bought a pair of 2.0 cheater glasses. I have flown that much with the goggles due to work, but I did perform a test flight with them and all seemed fine.

It's supposedly supposed to be 3 meters.
I wish it were 3 meters, but unfortunately the apparent distane is around 11 inches.
That is much closer than I normally read at, so I had to get a pair of OTC reading glasses specially for using the goggles. It required 2.75 power for me, but you can try them on in the store and get whatever focuses sharpest at 11 inches. All is great now!

Reactions: taptofocus
I wish it were 3 meters, but unfortunately the apparent distane is around 11 inches.
That is much closer than I normally read at, so I had to get a pair of OTC reading glasses specially for using the goggles. It required 2.75 power for me, but you can try them on in the store and get whatever focuses sharpest at 11 inches. All is great now!
Oh,and needless to say, progressives won't work because the whole screen is at a virtual 11 inch distance... no matter how you move your head.

Reactions: rstrouts
Thanks guys

today I stopped by Walmart and picked up a couple of different strength reading glasses. Not strong enough alone but if I put them in front of my progressive glasses so I'm looking through both pair of eye glasses the goggles work, not convenient but does show it's doable for me. I'll have to do a test with small print and see what the focus is with both glasses.

Thanks guys

today I stopped by Walmart and picked up a couple of different strength reading glasses. Not strong enough alone but if I put them in front of my progressive glasses so I'm looking through both pair of eye glasses the goggles work, not convenient but does show it's doable for me. I'll have to do a test with small print and see what the focus is with both glasses.

You could always use the stick on optically clear lenses that Divers use on their mask . Lots of people stick them directly to the Fatshark goggles lenses .
Trident Stick-On Optical Lens for Masks

Reactions: McFly
10-12" is more like it, 3m would have been great but they went for a very close reading distance on these sadly.
Well either way, I need glasses for anything more than 6 inches from my face. I have very bad eyesight.

The dji googles don't correct for presbyopia. Sitting in my Dr office re eye correction. I'm near sighted w bi vocals , astigmatism. The solution for me was to add the bifocal power to my distance correction so that the extra power from the bifocal is in the center of the lens.

Update- 5-6-2017
Update again. 11" not 9" focal distance.
Got eye exam Friday, optometrist did some research over the weekend and she somehow came up with 11" focal distance, her family is into drag racing and her brother has a phantom so she's into the sport stuff.
Gave me the prescription Monday evening and I stopped by my local
Eye-mart to be filled., glasses in about an hour, plastic lens at 49.95 and 29.95 frames. Polycarbonate lens would be thinner but 40 dollars more.
I can now see to read at 11" from my face and I can see all corners of the goggle screen and its clear and sharp.
Trying to see far away is a mess but I'll just have to keep my regular progressives in my shirt pocket.
So there you go, 11". focal distance is correct.

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting a pair of goggles but I am not sure if they will be ok for meas I wear verifocal lenses, would getting some of the divers stick on lenses work with these types of glasses.?.

I am thinking about getting a pair of goggles but I am not sure if they will be ok for meas I wear verifocal lenses, would getting some of the divers stick on lenses work with these types of glasses.?.

The divers lenses tend to be partial lenses to allow you to glance down to read a watch or your air pressure not full sized lenses, so the stick on ones will probably not work.

With progressives a lot depends on the layout of the different zones, but the reading zone is usually towards the bottom of the lens and it is hard to get that part lines uo when you can't move your head relative to the screen while wearing the goggles.

Net result is you really need to look at getting a full sized lens roughly equal to your reading add to put in front of the fitted lenses, or get a pair of prescription glasses made up for reading with the reading zone in the middle of the lens, but do check you can read something around 9 or 10" away...

I am also in need of glasses for the goggles. I can see the screen fine for a few minutes but then it starts to get blurry as my eyes get tired .

Also has anyone else found that the lens spacing adjustment is fully over to one side in order to get the spacing right?

rob

Also has anyone else found that the lens spacing adjustment is fully over to one side in order to get the spacing right?
rob

Yes, mine are adjusted to the widest spacing, but I assumed that was normal for me. I also wear an extra large hat size.

i used to run a vision express store in the uk (retired last month at 42! whoop!) i bought some cheap vr goggles and noticed the vision wasn't sharp enuff for me (im -1.25 both eyes) so i took the lens out and measured it on my focimeter at work it was +16 diopter lens. To sharpen it up i needed to do 1 of 2 things , wear glasses under vr set which 1 couldn't do. wear cls under vr helm but i hate wearing them lol.. or make a new lens to fit in headset. i went for making new lens. i ground 2 + 15 diaopter lenses and put them in and jobs a goodun!.

when it comes to optics the basics are as follows
+ lens means u cant see close stuff well but distance is fine past a certain range
- lens means close is fine but distance isnt sharp past a certain range
when moving the lens in and out u are adjusting the optical centers this means ur moving the light beams that hit back of eye , if they are too close together or 2 far apart u induce prism which can lead to double vision or a shadowing effect to the image.

u can use ready readers off the shelf to help, the stronger the lens the closer the vision is sharp
but these rdy readers do not correct for astigmatism , so people with over -1.00 or +1.00 astigmatism are unlikely to get hd vision from theses with out proper optical correction.

Hope this helps a little.

Yes, mine are adjusted to the widest spacing, but I assumed that was normal for me. I also wear an extra large hat size.

Mine are also at the widest spacing. Before getting the goggles I bought non-polarized no line bifocals with the dividing line optimized for looking down at the tablet and up at the drone, I won't be able to use them with the goggles. My reading glasses are blurry unless I pull my eyes a couple of inches away from the goggles, the bifocals are ok at the bottom of the screen and blurry at the top. I want to be able to see the tablet, the goggles and the Mavic in the air. Maybe I can put some kind of lens in the goggles to make them a little better. I think the custom bifocals start to come into focus at about 14 inches for close-up. The reading glasses seem to come into focus at about 12 inches from a paper.

Mine are also at the widest spacing. Before getting the goggles I bought non-polarized no line bifocals with the dividing line optimized for looking down at the tablet and up at the drone, I won't be able to use them with the goggles. My reading glasses are blurry unless I pull my eyes a couple of inches away from the goggles, the bifocals are ok at the bottom of the screen and blurry at the top. I want to be able to see the tablet, the goggles and the Mavic in the air. Maybe I can put some kind of lens in the goggles to make them a little better. I think the custom bifocals start to come into focus at about 14 inches for close-up. The reading glasses seem to come into focus at about 12 inches from a paper.

If it pulling them away to get Clear focus u need to do the following

Add ur distance prescription to ur reading prescription then take 1 diaopter away and that should work.
Prescription s look like this
Distance +2.00 -0.25 x 100
Reading add + 2.00
= Reading prescription of +4.00 -0.25 x 100
So a pair of of the shelves +3.00 should work for above prescription as it will give a slightly longer range of focus.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J