DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

getting pics of a car vs train accident

railfan-eric

Reactions
Is it legal to use a drone to get pics of a car vs train accident or other accidents? I know with the photographers rights it's legal from the ground but that write up from the lawyer predates drone use. So I'm wondering if you stay back the same as on the ground can you take pics from the drone? There was a car vs train yesterday when I was watching trains and was filming the train before it hit the car. And I wanted to film the aftermath but wasn't sure on the laws with drones. I didn't' have a clear shot to do it with a normal camera from the ground. However the news media showed a ground shot. And no I wasn't wanting to film anyone involved in the accident. I've seen a youtube video where a railfan filmed a train and a few blocks away it hit a car and he showed video footage of the car after it was hit. I saw another video where a car got hit right in front of the railfan filming the train. And Virtual Railfan shows video footage of cars getting hit by trains that was captured from the VR cams. thanks.

Is it legal to use a drone to get pics of a car vs train accident or other accidents? I know with the photographers rights it's legal from the ground but that write up from the lawyer predates drone use. So I'm wondering if you stay back the same as on the ground can you take pics from the drone? There was a car vs train yesterday when I was watching trains and was filming the train before it hit the car. And I wanted to film the aftermath but wasn't sure on the laws with drones. I didn't' have a clear shot to do it with a normal camera from the ground. However the news media showed a ground shot. And no I wasn't wanting to film anyone involved in the accident. I've seen a youtube video where a railfan filmed a train and a few blocks away it hit a car and he showed video footage of the car after it was hit. I saw another video where a car got hit right in front of the railfan filming the train. And Virtual Railfan shows video footage of cars getting hit by trains that was captured from the VR cams. thanks.
Anything visible from a public thoroughfare can be legally photographed (there are some DOD and security exceptions obviously). And the airspace is considered a public thoroughfare. So you're well within your rights to photograph that incident.

Although you should be respectful to the victims and their families, and not interfere with First Responder.

Anything visible from a public thoroughfare can be legally photographed (there are some DOD and security exceptions obviously). And the airspace is considered a public thoroughfare. So you're well within your rights to photograph that incident.

Although you should be respectful to the victims and their families, and not interfere with First Responder.
thanks for the info. I'm in KS and the US btw. Yeah I don't want to get the victim in the shots. if i did I wouldn't post them. and i would give the responders space. Don't want to freak anyone out getting too close. I know on FB on the Emporia Area Chat so many people give a backlash of comments when people post accident scenes or fire scenes even from the posts from the media. it seems the media can't even do their job without the public pitching a fit.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Just be sure to ALWAYS be very aware of Emergency Services coming to the scene. If an EMS Helo is coming on scene and your UAS is spotted they will most likely wave-off (or at least greatly delay the arrival) the helicopter. You could be compromising Life & Death.

Just be sure to ALWAYS be very aware of Emergency Services coming to the scene. If an EMS Helo is coming on scene and your UAS is spotted they will most likely wave-off (or at least greatly delay the arrival) the helicopter. You could be compromising Life & Death.
yeah. there wasn't a place to for helo to land. the ambulance took them to the hospital and they flew in a helo from there as there a helipad there.

Reactions: Mayfly mill
Just don't get close. Stay a respectable distance and as BigAl07 said, be aware of need for EMS helo's and land immediately if you hear one even faintly.

I usually keep a battery to go when the chopper is coming in. Like to go up and I usually get a 5 mile away for the first warning. I like how it now shows the altitude and distance to the item.

In the UK it's definitely illegal to fly near an emergency incident.

There is actually an agency similar to the FAA called the FRA for trains and they have jurisdiction over and around train tracks and trains. Their rules are hard to find but I believe you can't fly over and a certain distance around trains and tracks.

In the UK it's definitely illegal to fly near an emergency incident.
Wonder why when you here in the states can fly in class G airspace. Was over at the local airport flying last night as two small planes were touch and go. ADBS should tell you anything you need to know.

I dont know about the UK, but you can get in trouble for overflying an emergency response incident here in the US. Stay a respectful distance away and dont film images of victims out of respect for the family.

I am an EMT and Firefighter here in NY, and we are always warned that taking photos of MVAs could be deemed as evidence, and they can take your phone. I’m sure the same could happen if they identified you as the drone pilot they could take your drone for awhile.

Wonder why when you here in the states can fly in class G airspace. Was over at the local airport flying last night as two small planes were touch and go. ADBS should tell you anything you need to know.
In the UK we have a 5km No Fly Zone around any airport and a RPZ (Runway Protection Zone) that sticks out of the circle. This is our local, very small airport that only has a few private flights a day and no commercial traffic.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 18.50.39.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 18.50.39.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
There is actually an agency similar to the FAA called the FRA for trains and they have jurisdiction over and around train tracks and trains. Their rules are hard to find but I believe you can't fly over and a certain distance around trains and tracks.
in the thread i started years ago, it is legal to fly over trains and railroads in the US except in Oregon and Texas it's illegal to fly over major RR yards and facilities. among other things.

Just don't get close. Stay a respectable distance and as BigAl07 said, be aware of need for EMS helo's and land immediately if you hear one even faintly.
in this case it was in town and the ambulance took the person to the hospital where the helipad is and took the helicopter out. I forgot to pull up Flight Aware to see where the helicopter few too.

Is it legal to use a drone to get pics of a car vs train accident or other accidents?
Yes, as long as you abide by the FAA rules (which include possible TFR's due to EMS).

Keep in mind that as long as you are flying in the area nobody else can (e.g. Air Ambulance). TFRs may pop up while you are flying, as well, so IF you do it, check first, take your shots (preferably from a respectable distance, and GTFO.

I would have someone continually monitoring the airspace the whole time you're up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak