DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting Started - New to real Drones

SCK

Reactions
I am new to drones an am seriously considering the Mavic 2 Zoom.

I have been flying a toy drone for about 6 months just to get a handle on flying and am getting proficient with it but range is really limited and wind is a MAJOR issue with it. that said, I am to a point that flying controlled circles and figure 8s is not a problem (most of the time) I know a M2Z is a completely different beast but I figured at least the toy would allow me to learn some of the hand / eye coordination.

I have the cash saved up for it but I would hate to buy one and have a bunch of broken parts because I got something that was more than I was ready for. In all the videos and reviews it looks like the M2Z is easier to actually fly than this toy is but I know that it is "pros" doing the flying

I love taking videos and photos but it is mostly for family stuff. At some point I want to really understand photos and post production but for now it is full auto.

Just looking for input on if the M2Z is really the best place to start considering the cost. the 6 way object detection seems like REALLY nice feature...…

I am new to drones an am seriously considering the Mavic 2 Zoom.

I have been flying a toy drone for about 6 months just to get a handle on flying and am getting proficient with it but range is really limited and wind is a MAJOR issue with it. that said, I am to a point that flying controlled circles and figure 8s is not a problem (most of the time) I know a M2Z is a completely different beast but I figured at least the toy would allow me to learn some of the hand / eye coordination.

I have the cash saved up for it but I would hate to buy one and have a bunch of broken parts because I got something that was more than I was ready for. In all the videos and reviews it looks like the M2Z is easier to actually fly than this toy is but I know that it is "pros" doing the flying

I love taking videos and photos but it is mostly for family stuff. At some point I want to really understand photos and post production but for now it is full auto.

Just looking for input on if the M2Z is really the best place to start considering the cost. the 6 way object detection seems like REALLY nice feature...…

Howdy from Wyoming @SCK , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome, they are super easy to fly. If I was to upgrade from the MP1 it would be the Pro Model. From watching some of the night videos and the amount of light the 1" sensor let's in, the details it can capture is truly a step above. One could always buy the Pro Gimbal later and have both, that will set you back at least $700 more.

the lower entry point and the auto dolly zoom is what is pointing me to the Zoom. I have a high end 4k video camera that is really more than I know how to use which is my concern with the Pro. (a lot of cool camera features/options that I don't have a clue about and may never use) I can definitely see myself using the Dolly Zoom and Hyperlapse. I can see the difference in the quality of the images but I don't know that it is enough to make a difference in my satisfaction with videos I take. to be honest they are both pretty good.

In the end, I guess my question is, am I going to find that flying the M2Z or Pro is much easier than the toy drone I have been playing with? I "think" it would be because it handles the wind and is much more responsive but as I said, it looks that way because the people flying it in videos know what they are doing. (driving a manual transmission car looks easy until you try it the first time, then you fail a bunch until you learn) Failing with a $1400 drone is not a great option

I am not ruling out any of the DJI drones (lower costs) but it just looks like the M2 has a lot of really nice features (6 way object detection)

Would I be better starting with a lower priced model or are the additional features worth it for a newby?

I am not ruling out any of the DJI drones (lower costs) but it just looks like the M2 has a lot of really nice features (6 way object detection)

Would I be better starting with a lower priced model or are the additional features worth it for a newby?

Looks like you have checked out the zoom, look at all of them. See what will best fit you. Im a noob also, i went with the zoom. Its a bit scary at first but these drones (dji) are on a diff lvl! The detection dont work in every mode. I looked at drones for a good min then pulled the trigger. I want them all lol all the dji models are sick i like the evo also i want one but i still dont think its on dji level. Could be wrong but i dont think so

Unfortunately the real answer is, "it depends". However, here are some of the factors I'd consider:
  1. Do you think you'll be playing with this toy or hobby in a year or two? (Always harder to answer this honestly when you're pumped up about a new toy).
  2. What are your goals or purpose? Flying for fun occasionally, some photography?
  3. Can you afford a loss? The obstacle avoidance isn't reliable. Sure it works, but the one time it doesn't is all you need to have a crashed or lost drone.
One thing I can say is that you can start with a M2P for sure, and start basic for a while and continuously unwrap interesting new features and modes over time. It just depends where you see yourself going with this. There's nothing wrong with something like a Mavic Air that's not only cheaper but extremely portable too.

Be careful what reviews you watch as a lot of them are nearly just advertising. Let me know if you have any questions!

Unfortunately the real answer is, "it depends". However, here are some of the factors I'd consider:
  1. Do you think you'll be playing with this toy or hobby in a year or two? (Always harder to answer this honestly when you're pumped up about a new toy).
  2. What are your goals or purpose? Flying for fun occasionally, some photography?
  3. Can you afford a loss? The obstacle avoidance isn't reliable. Sure it works, but the one time it doesn't is all you need to have a crashed or lost drone.

Those are some "challenging" questions.

I don't know how long it will hold my interest but after 6 months I still find flying my toy drone a ton of fun and it is a pain to control if there is any wind at all and the camera will not work with my android phone. Only get about 5 min flight time and have to stay within 100yrds. I think a real one will just make it 1000% more enjoyable.

my fear has always been that it is not as easy as it looks and that a top end model may not be the best "starter" option because there is too much to learn to fast. However, with drones it appears to that the better drones actually make it easier because of the tech you get. (is that a valid view???)

I would not be happy if I destroyed/lost it on its first flight but I will not have to go without eating to buy it either.

Well it sounds like you'd get a lot of long term value out of the Mavic 2 series. Don't forget that you can start with them in beginner mode or tripod mode, and simply fly at a local field. Forget the photography and stuff for a little but, just see how comfortable you feel.

Is it stable? Are the controls intuitive? How's the wind affecting your flight? Keep it real basic. Then over time start adding little bits. A photo of you after initial take off. Test a quick shot mode.

As you get more comfortable, you can start taking it to places and working on filming and technique.

You probably don't give yourself enough credit for your flying skills, but the main thing is to not be overly ambitious. From my limited experience, most people that run into problems fly it out of line of sight, or in areas that have interference, or don't calibrate the compass when required, etc.

It sounds like getting a Mavic 2 drones and inching your way up will be a good path. Worst case, sell it!

Edit: Just re-read some of your comments. Don't fall for the advertising of all the sensors and things like that. They generally do work, but as I said above, not always, and reliance on those is going to increase the probability of unwanted results.

Reemas, thanks for the input. Makes me a little more comfortable dropping $1400+ on something to learn with

Yeah no sweat. I think you'll grow into it over time and thats a lot more sensible than taking it to the beach at night on day one and trying to film a hyperlapse.

Also, check one of my other threads, a user from here posted a good checklist (although for a Mavic Pro). I'd use that every time. Remember it's an aircraft. I'm a pilot. I know it feels like a toy and half the YouTube videos show it being treated like one. But if you want to do it right, treat it like an aircraft. It's slightly annoying to learn the regulations and laws, but adhering to them will make your flight experiences a bit safer and more enjoyable. If you can't find the thread, let me know.

Some may argue flying only in visual line of sight is no fun, but at the very least, it's the law and accomplishes quite a lot in terms of filmography. Feel free to hit me up with questions!

Consider the sensors as more of a safety feature like a seatbelt than something you purposefully use. That said, they're sooo much easier to fly than a non-GPS toy drone. A non-GPS drone wanders around even without wind, takes constant attention and finesse, and is like driving a clapped out old Jeep where you're constantly steering to go straight and fighting to keep it on the road. Hopping into the Mavic after flying a toy drone around is like hopping out of the Jeep and into a new Honda with automatic everything. Let go of the sticks and it just hits the brakes and stops dead where it is and hovers. No drifting, maintains altitude, piece of cake.

The toy drone is still great practice as far as getting used to which stick movements do what, getting used to turning the right way when it's pointed at you, being able to control it if the GPS loses connection, etc, but as far as skill level they're much easier to control than a toy drone. If you've been practicing for 6 months on a toy drone you have plenty of skill. If you're still nervous, a lot of that can be helped by insuring it. My new M2P is my first real drone too, and I was so worried about it I doubled up on DJI care refresh AND State Farm insurance lol.

Ok, my finger starts shaking over the BUY button on the M2Z...….

I keep going back and forth between the M2Z and the Air. Here is my thinking, the M2Z is just nicer in just about all aspects but the Air is 65% of the cost. I am not going to be doing high end video production so that aspect is not a huge deal to me. It is going to be something to learn on. if it develops from there then great but I just don't know weigh that chance.

Basically, the "latest and greatest" is always a big pull for me but in this case I am doubting myself...… I do like the longer fly time and distance (may be a bad thing starting out) but $450 is a big difference in cost.

Somebody talk me down on one side of the fence or the other with some outside reasoning...… Please

I’ve always thought it good to wait a few days whenever I’m at that point where I can’t decide. Why not sit on it for a week? Nothing is going anywhere. They did raise accessory prices though for the MP2

the lower entry point and the auto dolly zoom is what is pointing me to the Zoom. I have a high end 4k video camera that is really more than I know how to use which is my concern with the Pro. (a lot of cool camera features/options that I don't have a clue about and may never use) I can definitely see myself using the Dolly Zoom and Hyperlapse. I can see the difference in the quality of the images but I don't know that it is enough to make a difference in my satisfaction with videos I take. to be honest they are both pretty good.

In the end, I guess my question is, am I going to find that flying the M2Z or Pro is much easier than the toy drone I have been playing with? I "think" it would be because it handles the wind and is much more responsive but as I said, it looks that way because the people flying it in videos know what they are doing. (driving a manual transmission car looks easy until you try it the first time, then you fail a bunch until you learn) Failing with a $1400 drone is not a great option
Yes, any drone that has GPS and optical sensors will be much more stable, and easier to fly. The fact that you are used to Line-of-sight (LOS) will make you more comfortable flying without staring at the monitor. Which one depends on how you are planning on using it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet